15 Replies Latest reply: Oct 11, 2013 6:21 AM by casual167 RSS

Grainy picture

suefird

Our situation with the grainy picture was totally corrected by replacing our existing receivers with new HD ones!!  Reception now is wonderful!!

• Re: Grainy picture
    peds48

what model of receiver do you have. look for the model number inside the access card door.. 

and how is this receiver connected to the TV?

casual167

I'm also having this same issue.  I had bought a new Vizio a few weeks ago and no matter settings I put in, the screen was always grainy. I actually exchanged the tv for a Samsung thinking maybe something was wrong with it but sure enough I'm still having the grainy picture problem and now on another tv.  So I would think it has to be the dvr thats the cause.  Any help or suggestion on this would be helpful

carl6

As peds48 asked, we need more information to be able to help either poster.

If you upgraded your television from an SD set to an HD set, but did not upgrade your DirecTV service, then what you are seeing is to be expected.

If you went from a much smaller screen to a much larger screen, you need to make sure you have an HD receiver and that it is set properly to the output resolution that your television is capable of displaying.

So please tell us the model number of your DirecTV receiver (it should be noted by a label near the access card, or by going into the menu structure, settings, info and test).  Also tell us how your receiver is connected to your TV set. Possible connections include coax, composite video (yellow connector), s-video, component video (green, blue and red connectors), or hdmi.

casual167

Thanks for the quick reply.  I had upgraded from the SD DVR to the HD DVR a little over a month ago as well as the HD package or whatever.  I'm not quite sure what the model number is at this time as I am away on business but will be back tomorrow to get that info.  I did check the output resolution last night though and it's set to 720, 1080i and 1080p and the tv is connected to the HD DVR by an HDMI cable.  I just wasn't sure if it could be a faulty receiver or something else because this is the second tv hooked up to it with the same issue.  Is it possible that there's a problem with the receiver and a way for me to check it somehow?

carl6

The final thing to check is that you are in fact on an HD channel. Check under menu, settings, preferences and make sure you are set to see HD channels (there is an option to hide SD channels, hide HD channels, or show all). Check if the particular channel(s) you are watching are in HD, and that the program on at the moment is HD. Even on some HD channels there are many non-HD programs offered.  Once you are on a known HD channel with known HD programming if you still have the problem it could be a problem with either your TV or your receiver.

casual167

So I just got home and checked the settings you mentioned and they all seem to be set correctly.  The Model number I have is HR23-700 if that helps.  Also checked a number of channels and still getting the fuzzy look on all of them.  I even checked ESPN which seemed to come in good at times but it's still there.  I'm resetting the box now to see if that helps but if not I'm assuming something is wrong with the receiver

texasbrit

No, it's almost certainly just how your TV reacts to being fed  an SD signal...

casual167

Really? Well I kept reading through the avs forum for the two tv's that I had and everyone kept saying how great there picture looks and it was annoying me because I wasn't getting that clear picture at all.  A couple people in particular said they had DirecTV and weren't having this problem.  I was watching the game on the NFL network last night and it was so out of focus and grainy that it made it hard to watch.  So you don't think this would be an issue with the receiver's hardware or something?

peds48

I think what is going on here is confusion.  The OP has a D12 SD receiver connected to an HD set and the "me toos" have differently gear. 

This is the same reason why we recommend having separate threads for each poster...

jusmetee

I am having the same issue discussed here on this thread.  I have 2 Samsung 240hz tvs (7100 and 8000 series) and since Friday when I had the install of the genie system (1 Model: HR44-700 and 2 Model: C41-100) my feed is grainy. Before the upgrade, my HD feed was extremely clear. When I watch sports (we are huge sports people in my home) it seems like I am watching with a 60hz tv, meaning if there is movement the hd feed appears to be broken or fuzzy around the movement of the program.  Nothing changed with my tvs, only upgraded to the genies.  I have tried 3 different HDMIs and all of them show the same HD feed. All of the cables are tight from the genie.  I do not understand why the downgrade in the HD feed. @

carl6

Make sure all of the settings are correct in your setup (menu, settings, display, ), that your Genie and/or client are set to the desired resolutions, check the native on/off setting (and try the opposite), and also check any tv settings. If you verify all settings are correct and it doesn't resolve your problem, call DirecTV and work with them, you may need a replacement.

suefird

Thank you for your quick response.  The model number of our DirecTV receiver is D12-100. We previously had an HD set (HP TouchSmart 300 series computer with built-in television), and the new one is an HD tv without the computer.  The receiver is connected to the television by coax.  The size of the screen is pretty close to what we had on the computer combo.  What do you think?  Does any of what I’ve written make sense?  Hope so.

Sent from Windows Mail

Sent: Wednesday, October 9, 2013 5:43 PM

To: suefird

DIRECTV Technical Forums 

Grainy picture

reply from carl6 in DIRECTV Receiver Technical Support & Troubleshooting - View the full discussion

As peds48 asked, we need more information to be able to help either poster.

If you upgraded your television from an SD set to an HD set, but did not upgrade your DirecTV service, then what you are seeing is to be expected.

If you went from a much smaller screen to a much larger screen, you need to make sure you have an HD receiver and that it is set properly to the output resolution that your television is capable of displaying.

So please tell us the model number of your DirecTV receiver (it should be noted by a label near the access card, or by going into the menu structure, settings, info and test).  Also tell us how your receiver is connected to your TV set. Possible connections include coax, composite video (yellow connector), s-video, component video (green, blue and red connectors), or hdmi.

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on DIRECTV Technical Forums

Start a new discussion in DIRECTV Receiver Technical Support & Troubleshooting by email or at DIRECTV Technical Forums

Following Grainy picture in these streams: Inbox

texasbrit

This is not an unusual situation, some HDTVs have very poor performance with SD signals. Coax is the worst possible connection, try using the yellow composite video and red/white audio and see if that improves things at all.

dcd

Feeding a SD picture to a HD TV will always provide a sub standard picture.  Add to that the fact that a lot of folks stretch the picture to fill the HD screen only exaggerates the already present flaws.  Your best bet is to upgrade the Directv receiver to HD to match the new TV.