13 Replies Latest reply: Oct 9, 2013 4:41 AM by peds48 RSS

the receiver in my room won't connect.

jagypnf

when i turn on the receiver in my bedroom all it says is searching for server, and after about 3 mins of this it goes to cant fine it and asks if i want to start the search again. I have a whole home DVR system in my house. what could be the problem?

• Re: the receiver in my room won't connect.
    crazyelwin

I'm having the same issue.

on 10/6 i got a new Genie and Genie Mini

Genie HD DVR - HR34-700

Genie Mini - C31-700

Everything hooked up fine and ran fine.  i woke up early morning 10/7 and the client Mini in my bedroom showed a black screen.  i turned it off and on and it showed No Server Found.
    I searched the forums and found where others had similar and the suggestion was to reset the Server and then the client.  I tried that and it worked, so i thought all was fine.
    The Client was fine till i turned it off at 6pm.

at 11PM i returned to that room and it was back to black screen and no server.  to get it back, i had to do the same steps over again.

If this was once in a while, then fine.  But as i read on the forums, it seems to be an ongoing issue.  I have been a loyal Direct Tv customer for nearly 10 years and until the Genie, i have never had issues like this.

So guys, how do you fix this issue?

dcd

For both of you.  Reset the main Genie or DVR using the red button inside the card door.  While it's resetting, reset the Clients/Mini or other receivers using the red button on the side.

dtvtech_patrick

First off, what we need to do is make sure the receiver has not been connected to the internet with an Ethernet cable, if it has, please disconnect it and reset. The HR34 and HR44 receivers do not like Ethernet cables. If it is not connected, check the screw on line that comes from the wall to the back of the Genie, make sure its tight, even a minor quarter of a turn will make a huge difference. If there is anything connected on that line, you want to make sure the cable is tight along all of the spots it connects. If it is fine at those points, and a reset is not permanently resolving the issue, than it means we have a problem that DirecTV will need to send a technician out for. One last check is to find the multi switch, which is a metal box where all the cables connect into at. Make sure every single cable there is tight. Even if you haven't moved anything it is still possible for cables to come loose!

peds48

dtvtech_patrick wrote:

The HR34 and HR44 receivers do not like Ethernet cables.

Again, Incorrect.  the Genies (HR34 and HR44) are "special" in this regard.  you can connect the Genies with ethernet with no issues what so ever

sxy_bst

Actually I think that you are incorrect peds48. I hate to inform you of that because you seem like the kind of person to take that bad

litzdog911

Not sure where some of you are getting your information.   peds48 is absolutely correct. The HR34/HR44 are indeed "special" in this regard and can connect directly to the home network, serving as a Cinema Connection Kit.  

dtvtech_patrick

Only the HR44 has a built in W-CCK in it. An Ethernet cable connected to the genie will provide internet to the genie, and clients, but no other receiver. Only a HR44 model genie will provide internet to all internet capable receivers. We have found that disconnecting the Ethernet cable from the genie can help resolve the issue, and stop it from happening again. Regardless of the way that the receiver was designed to operate, it can still cause intermittent issues. It was simply a suggestion to try, as I have had it resolve issues before. Based off of past experience, it is possible that will resolve the issue. However if they do have a HR44 with an Ethernet cable in it the internet will not work, or work intermittent. Just the same as connecting up a wireless cck using both coax and the Ethernet. That however is not really related to this technical issue.

peds48

Because you are arguing non sense. You are incorrect as we'll....