22 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2013 12:39 PM by peds48 RSS

Upgrading to DVR

cheezit01

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum.  Mods, please move it if needed.

When I moved from cable to DirecTV 4 months ago, I just chose the plain HD box, thinking I wouldn't use the DVR.  To make a long story short, I've decided that I would like to have a DVR.  I called customer service and inquired as to how much it would cost me to upgrade.  They told me the cost would be $420.00!!  I knew I'd have to buy the DVR box, but $420?  That's outrageous.  I can't help but believe that the woman I talked to didn't have a clue what she was talking about.  So the question is, is she right?  And assuming that she is, can I buy a Tivo and will it work with DirecTV?

• Re: Upgrading to DVR
    joed32

Call back and try a different CSR, they're not all created equal. It won't be free but you may be able to get them to at least install it for free.

peds48

I think it sounds right.  It looks like they are quoting you a Genie which is $399.00. plus a $49.00 installation charge plus a $49.00 early upgrade fee. and of course taxes.

Standalone TiVOs wont work with DirecTV.

Your best bet is to call again and speak to the retention department and see if you can at least get a 2 tuner DVR (not Genie) for half price and perhaps waive some of the fees.

But this is why it is very important to get the equipment that you want BEFORE you sign up and get installed, as this is the time where you qualify for free equipment

cheezit01

I only have 1 TV, so I don't need anything fancy as far as a DVR is concerned.  If I decide to go ahead and upgrade, what happens to the HD box I have now?  Will they take it back on trade or am I stuck with it?

peds48

Assuming your HD receiver is leased (most of them are), the tech will take the receiver with him to send back to DirecTV.  you wont get any credit for the receiver.

dcd

Your situation is unfortunate and paying in the $400 range is a bitter pill.  Having said that, if you're anything like our family, you'll get $400 worth of enjoyment out of the Genie over the next two years.  On Sat and Sun evenings there are multiple super programs available and at times in the fall our Genie is recording 4 programs simultaneously.  We more or less watch one of our favorites per evening and ball games in the afternoon weekends.

shannon01

There is the THR22 Tivo'ed DTV receiver and other DTV receivers available from dealers like solidsignal.com and weaknees.com.

cheezit01

As I said, I only have 1 TV, so the Genie would be a total waste.  Having said that, if I upgrade, and no matter which  model of DVR I choose, are there any "hidden" charges?  I'm aware of the $10 DVR charge.  But in the case of the Tivo model, is there a charge that Tivo adds on? Anything else?

Also, is this something that I can install myself?  I can't see that it would be all that difficult to do, considering I switched out a number of cable boxes over the years I had cable.  I've seen a link on the DirecTV website for activating a box.  Is there an activation charge? 

Sorry about all the questions. 

billyfrench46

If I were U,  would just buy a used HD HR21 or 22 or 24 from somewhere like Ebay.  Make sure before buying that U get the RID number and verify with Directv they will activate it and there is no money owed on it.  They will charge U $20 for a new card, even if the unit U purchase has a card,  so be prepared for that.  I could give more info but would need an E for U.

texasbrit

You can probably do this yourself, but without knowing what type of dish you have it's impossible to say. If you hit the "dash" key, what message do you see on the screen?

peds48

there are no "hidden" fees. The TiVO does carry a $5.00 a month TiVO fee, plus the DVR service which is $10.00 a month and of course the $10.00 a month HD service fee which you are already paying.

The Genie will incur a DVR fee, HD, fee and WHDVR fee of $3.00 a month.

Be aware of buying DirecTV receivers in eBay or Craigslist

peds48

Since you have SWM, which ever receiver you get, it should be a simple swap.

cheezit01

One more question I thought of.  (Sorry!)

Since I have only had Directv for 4 months, will I be hit with anything like an early upgrade fee?  If so, how much would that amount to?

cheezit01

On the outside chance this may be possible, I'll ask.

As I have said, I signed up for DirecTV 4 months ago.  My daughter also signed up with DirecTV about 2 weeks after I did.  I have the plain HD receiver (H25 I believe).  She has the HD DVR (not the Tivo or Genie).  I was talking to her last night and as it happens, she wants to downgrade to a plain HR receiver and I'm interested in upgrading. Is there a way to have DirecTV do a switch of boxes for us so that there won't be any upgrade/downgrade charges and so that we won't have to buy new boxes?

cheezit01

One more question if I may.  I've decided that I am going to upgrade to a DVR.  But when depends on the answer to the following question.  When I call customer service to upgrade, do I need to pay for the box ($199 + shipping and upgrade fee plus whatever other charges they can dream up) at the time I order it or will they just add it to my account to be paid with the next bill?

peds48

Those questions can only be answered by DirecTV.  Give them a call