37 Replies Latest reply: Nov 8, 2013 8:50 AM by texasbrit RSS

RVU

bones1940

We have a Samsung UN40ES6100 TV with RVU. Have tried to get it to work for 7 months, any ideas, Directv has replaced all equipment and wiring, without luck. Need Help

• Re: RVU
    peds48
    is your TV listed at www.rvualliance.com?

what's not working?

peds48

How is your Genie connected to the internet?  How about the RVU TV?

peds48

you need to be more forth coming.

cat6 to router, switch, etc…

What is your network configuration.

texasbrit

My ES6100 works fine as RVU. Which Genie do you have? When you say the RVU does not work, are you able to set it up OK? Do you have an RVU or a client charge on your monthly bill?

bones1940

Currently have client (c31) connected, only why Directv techs could get to work. Gene (server) is HR34-700

bones1940

What model is your ES6100 ? Problem may be only in UN40ES6100

texasbrit

That's the one I have. What's the firmware version, mine is running 1037.

Exactly how is the TV connected?

bones1940

Mine is also running Ver. 1037 firmware. Connection is Gene HR34 coax to Deca, cat 6 to router, router to TV with cat 6

texasbrit

Mine's the same.

I had not been running in RVU mode for a while so I just set it up again.

First, I went to my server (HR34).  Went to whole home, then to manage clients. Select add clients.

Message on the HR34 is confusing because it talks about wireless discovery mode, but just ignore the message content and hit "dash" to continue. You will see a PIN displayed.

Now go to the TV, select the "source" screen. One of the sources will be your RVU server. Select it. Then enter the PIN number. It will ask you if you want to set up a new client or replace an existing one. In my case, because I already have a C41 and a C31 and don't need another client, I select "replace". If the other client is on it will ask you to turn it off. Then it will ask you to confirm you want to transfer the client data to the new location, I select "Transfer" and it moves it correctly to the Samsung RVU.

So, for you, what does not work? At what point in this sequence do things fail?

texasbrit

I've just looked at your config again.   Looks like you have an incorrect connection.

If you are hardwiring your TV to the router there are two options and I think you have them confused.

First option, you do not need a DECA. Just connect the TV ethernet port to one of the ports on the router.

Second option, use a DECA and connect a short piece of RG6 coax and a short piece of CAT6 to the DECA, and then coax from the DECA into the DirecTV splitter just as if you were connecting a C31/C41 client.

Either of these will work.

EDIT: No now I am getting confused.

The HR34 has a built-in DECA.  Do you mean you are trying to use a broadband DECA to create a wireless connection? You can't connect a regular DECA to the router via cat6, it does not have a connector. Or has someone cabled the ethernet port on a regular DECA to the router, that won't work at all.

Is the HR34 the access point to the router for your complete configuration? Is that connection using a wireless CCK?

Post back with the exact  cabling and DECA configuration you have, including exactly what type of DECA you are using.

bones1940

Ok, Lets try this again. First the current setup was done by a Directv tech in my home. He went from the HR34 via coax to a whole home DECA (BB1MR0-01), from there to the router with cat6 and from the router to the TV via cat6. He tell me that there was not a DECA built-in the HR34. Not trying to hookup wireless, everyone says that does not work. With this setup, when you turn the TV on, the RVU source is grayed out and can not be selected.The HR34 does offer PIN, with RVU source grayed out can not use it.

bones1940

PS:

Tried to go from HR34 to DECA via coax, from there directly to TV with cat6, bypassing router, no luck.

texasbrit

OK.

First, do you have at least one client on your DirecTV account? It does not as far as I know  have to be an RVU TV, because you can swap the clients around, I do it all the time. If you have a C31, that should be OK.

Second, do you have wired internet enabled on the TV, not wireless?

Third, is internet working on your HR34?  If it is, that means that the router is seeing the HR34.  Is whole-home enabled?

Are the HR34 and the TV connected to the same router, and what type of router is it? I know there have been problems with some models of apple router.

Is the DECA connected to power?

There's confusion here because "DECA" can refer to two different devices. What you are using is the "broad band DECA", which connects the system to the router.  The "regular DECA" is not required for the HR34 because the electronics is built-in.

To be honest, you don't really need a broadband DECA either. The HR34 can connect directly to the internet (only the HR34 and HR44 have this capability) so it might be worth trying that - cat6 from the HR34 to the router.

I think your configuration looks OK, if so the problem lies elsewhere. If the RVU selection is blanked out in the TV menu, that means the TV can't see the HR34 at all.  That indicates some sort of router issue. The C31 works because it is connected to the HR34 through the coax not through the router.

bones1940

You may have hit on something, "is internet working on HR34", but first let me answer other questions.

First, we have two clients on account, C31 (working) and C41 (working). The C41 is currently installed behind the Samsung TV.

Second, TV is wire internet enabled and the internet is working.

Third, I ran Settings, Network Setup, Test Connection, Run System Test, More System Info and found the following:

IP address 192.168.1.13 which is OK,  under Network: Ethernet Not Connected (9)

Coax Connected

Internet: Connected

Client Locations

Guest: NotConnected      Device: C31

Kitchen: Not Connected    Device: C41

Both Clients were off at the time IO run Test and all other settings were Ok

All home services (network) connected to same router (Netgear)

DECA connected to power

Will test direct cat6 to HR34 next

By the way, where did you learn the current DECA is a broad band DECA ?

Thanks for all assistance, more than Directv and Samsung

texasbrit

OK, internet connected means the router is seeing the HR34.

As I said, the clients you have talk to the HR34 through the coax not through the router.

If your TV internet is working that means the TV can talk to the router.

If the internet on your HR34 is working that says the HR34 can talk to the router.

So the router is not connecting the HR34 and the TV for some reason. That's nearly always an IP allocation issue, or a MAC filtering problem.

Tell us what happens when you directly connect the HR34 to the router.

bones1940

Connected cat6 directly to HR34. Same problem TV source RVU grayed out. What would happen if i tried connect cat6 directly from HR34 to TV ?

texasbrit

Would not help. The router is what allocates the IP addresses.

Did you reboot the HR34 after you had done the connection?

dcd

I'm coming to this conversation a bit tardy, but do have a couple of comments.  You add the RVU TV to your Whole Home DVR system in the same manner as you add a Client.  You begin by adding it at the Genie under whole Home, following that you go to the RVU (or Client) and accept the connection and enter the activation code.  At some point you call Directv and have the RVU added to your account, not sure at what point that occurs.  From what I am reading here it appears that you are wired correctly and your difficulty is a procedural one.

Note that the term "Client" refers to set top boxes or RVU TV's that rely on a "Server" (the HR34 or HR44 Genie) foe all functions.  Thus the RVU TV setup must originate with the Server.

texasbrit

The OP seems to be doing all of this correctly.  He already has two clients working so it should be possible just to swap the TV with one of the existing clients.

To the OP - since you had the regular clients installed,  are you still showing a Samsung RVU TV as part of your equipment if you log into the DirecTV web site? If not, then call DirecTv and say you want to add a Samsung RVU TV to the account, so you will have three clients. I know you only want two, but you can cancel one of them later.

It should not really matter if the RVU TV is not listed but we are clutching at straws here. In theory you should be able to switch clients whether they are RVU TVs or C31/41 (I certainly can) but we need to try anything here.

Log into your router from a PC on the network and look at the IP address allocations. Make sure the TV and the HR34 are on the same network. The HR34 will be named, the TV will probably have a name like unknown followed by an alphanumeric string. If the TV is on a different subnet that might be the issue.

bones1940

Ok First rebooted HR34..........no help, oops 30 mins later RVU shows up as source !!

IP's : HR34 = 192.168.1.13

Samsung Tv = 192.168.1.19

Sub net the same 255.255.255.0

Understand your idea of switching between them, however if RVU isnt available cannt do it

texasbrit

So it is working now???

bones1940

RVU was available until I restarted the TV ..............gone again

texasbrit

What do you mean by "restart" - just put into standby, or something else?

texasbrit

I still lean towards this being a router issue.

Have you changed any of the settings on the router itself?

Try resetting the router to factory defaults.

bones1940

By restart, I mean turn off and back on.

I agree, so problem with network. Going to try different router and go directly from HR 34 via cat6 to router and from router directly to Tv via of cat6. Do i need to involve internet ? Trying to Minimize potential problems. 

bones1940

Finally got time to try diff. router. 

Appears to work ! Setup as follows: Cat6 from HR34 to router, cat6 from router to TV.

Two problems

1) did not include connection to internet, message says internet needed to work.

2) RVU no longer grayed out, but takes 15 - 30 seconds to come up.

Any suggestions, dont want to change all equipment until sure its going to work.

How long does it take for your connection to become available ?