6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2013 9:31 AM by dknox67 RSS

R16-300 receiver (USB wireless??)

dknox67

I have the DirecTV receiver model:  R16-300 that has a USB port on the back, an one in the front.  I am TRYING to schedule events with my Android phone with the DirecTV app, but states I need to be on the same network?  (I have had times where I CAN schedule so am a bit confused).  within the app, I check settings and says "no receiver" (no options to ADD one).

Can I ADD a wireless USB card to the receiver?  I know you can do this for other devices as I have one for my BluRay player.

• Re: R16-300 receiver (USB wireless??)
    peds48

No, you can't add any type of wireless device to the R16.  However, when you schedule a show to record, the commands are sent via satellite and not the internet.

dknox67

well, it is interesting when I was attempting to get the correct error to report here, it WORKED, but I know in the past it did give an error about not being on the network, so....  still glitchy?   unless they fixed the app.  but also not sure WHY I cannot establish the correct receiver via the phone app.

peds48

Perhaps you were trying to do something that requires an HDVR connected to the internet, live watching LIVE TV

not sure what you mean by "I cannot establish the correct receiver via the phone app."

dknox67

ok, just tried to set for pay-per-view movie.  it gives me opportunity to "watch on phone" and watch on TV (HD).  but mine is not an HD receiver so it is greyed out.  doesn't give selection for SD version.  Shouldn't I be able to set pay-per-view with the phone??  (I do NOT have my receiver hooked up to a phone line and should be able to order with phone OR computer.  works fine with computer, but want to be able to do it via the phone).

peds48

You cannot schedule PPV to record from your phone.  You can however, pay to watch on your phone and then you can watch on your TV.  you can also also via text if you want to watch at home.

dknox67

Looks like I am all set.  Thanks to peds48 for your responses.   Still don't like the fact I cannot order pay-per-view from the phone app (seems a bit pathetic that I MUST do it from logging in to directv.com from the computer (again, do not have phone line connected to the receiver and cannot do this).  maybe will be able to do this in future updates because I used to be able to do this from phone and tablet apps I believe.  I am able to schedule the DVR to record regular tv shows with the phone app, so that is a start.   Now, gotta figure out how to show this post as "RESOLVED"!   lol