6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 31, 2013 10:30 AM by litzdog911 RSS

Genie Mini - "No Servers Detected"

sckindaguy

Hello - I had my DirectTV installed approximately two weeks ago. My equipment is as follows:

(1) Genie HD DVR HR44-500

(3) Genie Mini C41-700

3 of the 4 rooms that I had installed work perfectly. However my basement TV using a Genie Mini C41-700 has never worked, stating "No Server Detected." I have power cycled the unit multiple times, changed coaxial cables with a known good cable, tested the line (which tested good), and finally switched out the Genie Mini for the one from the bedroom. After switching the Genie Mini, the basement TV worked perfectly. I then hooked the problematic Genie Mini up to the bedroom TV and experienced the same issue I was having on the basement TV - error "No Servers Detected." This leads me to believe that the unit itself is bad. Has anyone else had this experience? Is there any easy resolution that I am overlooking or will the unit need to be replaced?  Thanks!

Mitch

• Re: Genie Mini - "No Servers Detected"
    litzdog911

Nice troubleshooting.  I agree it looks like you've got a defective Mini.   Call DirecTV to request a replacement.  You're still covered by the 90-day installation warranty.

shadedaddy

It could also be the client needs to be re-authorized in some special way. I had a customer call me a few months back with that issue and I ran a jumper from the splitter right to it and still got nothin'. Told the CM to call in and request a replacement. And so she did. But DTV sent some kind of signal and brought it back to life - to this day don't know what they did but it worked. Could have been some kind of authorization to the Genie.

sckindaguy

Thank you for the replies.  I called technical support tonight and did all the fun troubleshooting that I have already done. :-).  I was trying to avoid a service call and hoping they could just send me a new unit and an RA# for the defective one, but looks like I've got a technician coming on Thursday.  I understand that they don't want an uncertified tech trying to troubleshoot...just wish I could watch TV in this room - like yesterday.  Thanks again for your replies.

shannon01

You are still under the 90 day warranty so the service call is free and in the future DTV will replace defective/no lights come on receivers for $20 shipping or $50 for a tech to come out both free if you get/have the protection plan and the dish,splitters and coax are yours.

psurangers11

Hello... I'm having a similar issue with the Genie Mini Model #C31-700 and have no idea how the heck it happened.

Last night my wife and I went up to our bedroom to put on the tv like usual and no picture would come up.  For a minute to screen would say "No Signal Detected" and then that would go away and a grey screen would come up which normally happens for a few seconds before the picture comes on.  However, it did not and so I proceeded to reset the receiver and rebooted it and it did not fix the problem.  Sometimes it would come up with a "searching for server" template only to not detect any servers.  If I hit exit I would get the grey screen again and nothing would happen.

I tried again this morning to troubleshoot some things and still can't get it to work.  I even took the exact Genie Mini Model from another bedroom to plug in and got the same result.  So I'm wondering if there's a whole seperate issue.

Just doesn't make sense because everything was fine yesterday morning before we left work... and we can watch TV just fine in our living room with our Genie HD DVR.  Any ideas what it could be?

litzdog911

Electronic equipment sometimes dies.  But if swapping a known good Client in place of your "bad" Client still doesn't work, then it's not the Genie Mini Client. Something is wrong with the coax feed to that location.  Best to call DirecTV for a service visit.