9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 27, 2014 2:01 PM by gregdtv RSS

hr44 wifi wpa / aes

gregdtv

when will the hr44 be able to handle special characters as a password?  i ask cause it's been months that i've waited for this fix. for whole home i use the dcck which is STILL fine with special chars for a password.  as a result, whole home does function but only with the use of additional equipment. 

so, to those wanting to help, i appreciate your comments but recognize that i while i could have missed something, the installer couldn't figure it out and i do get it working but not with the hr44. hey DTV techs, are u listening??

• Re: hr44 wifi wpa / aes
    litzdog911

I don't think DirecTV considers this a high priority problem.  It's been this way since they first supported networking.   I don't expect it change anytime soon.  

Be sure to email your thoughts directly to DirecTV.  They won't see it here.

gregdtv

what's funny is that i have reported it to them.  there was a time i even had a tech responding to the incident, then all of a sudden poof!  nothing and it's been that way for several months.

i'll try again when i get the energy but thanks.

dcd

I'd guess that the alphanumeric limitation is more or less permanent,  as the remote isn't designed to enter special characters.

peds48

Actually according to one of our contacts the following rules applies when using special characters

For SSIDs The following 6 characters are not allowed: ?, ", $, [, \, ] and the following 3 characters cannot be the first character: !, #, and ;.

Apple products automatically use the apostrophe character as a prefix, so the SSID must be manually edited to remove this.

gregdtv

keep in mind, i'm talking password here. u're talking ssid!! 

dcd

All Directv equipment and systems that use a password or SSID are restricted to alphanumeric (letters and numbers).  Something as simple as the apostrophe that Apple places by default will cause the system to reject it.  Not sure what interface you think I'm not familiar with but we have seen this discussion (please allow characters) a number of times over the last several years and thus far Directv has apparently made no effort to change the restriction.  Thus my opinion that the restriction is more or less permanent.

Understand that I have no dog in the hunt, I don't care whether they change it or not, I was simply telling you how it is and has been.  Not much to debate about that, or at least not as far as I can see.

gregdtv

did u even read my initial post?  my issue with special chars involves the hr44's internal wireless device, only. i've been "connected" for years now using the dcck attached to an hr24!  i have multiple dvr's. to that end, i can assure u, the special char "@" is used in the pswd for the dcck.

on another note,  when entering chars, a text / special chars matrix is displayed.  the user can select text or special chars by using the arrow keys that surround the "select" key. i do this quarterly, to see if they've fixed the pswd problem in the hr44.  when it fails, i just plug the dcck back in and i'm back in business. 

let me add that a dtv tech was working with me for awhile on the pswd problem. he acted as the liaison between me and level 3. during an early exchange, he saw the special char i was describing and he never said it was a problem.  we had several email exchanges over a 2 week period.and one day he just went poof!

so while, i appreciate your comments my experience is very different.

gregdtv

this is fixed.  u can use ANY char for passwords.