26 Replies Latest reply: Dec 11, 2013 8:38 AM by cajazzman RSS

Upgrade?

cajazzman

Ok, so, I'm buying my wife for Christmas, a new HDTV, on Black Friday. What I know is that I, qualify, for a free upgrade to a HD DVR, from the SD DVR, which we have now, on a Sony, non- HDTV.  So, how long can I have the new receiver, before activating it? I, want it all to be a big surprise, to say the least.

• Re: Upgrade?
    peds48

According to DirecTV ToS, you have 30 from date of 'purchase" until activation before you get charge an non-activation fee.

But my question is , Who is installing this? Do you have an HD dish already?

DirecTV would NOT send a receiver to be installed later by a tech.

cajazzman

peds48, we have our system already, and has been setup for years. I'm just trading out, our R15/500, for a free upgrade to another HD DVR, and a new Samsung 40" 1080p HDTV. Otherwise, our system is flawless. Oh, and we'll then be adding Whole Home as well. Can't ask for better equipment and service, as we've had for about 20 years, now.

carl6

The problem you will run into is that you need a new/different dish for HD. It involves more than just replacing the DVR itself.  As to whole home, that will work between HD equipment, but the R15 will not work with whole-home.

How many receivers/DVRs do you have now, and what models? If you have anything that is HD, then you would have the correct dish, but if not it is almost certain that you don't have the correct dish. (Your dish needs to say "Slimline" across the face of the dish.)

cajazzman

Maybe, I should have stated, but, I was ONLY looking for how long I could have the HD DVR before activating, but, I've had HD DVR, and HD Dish, for some time now, so, as I said, I'm only switching out the SD DVR, with an upgraded HD DVR. Sorry about the confusion.

dcd

Why not upgrade the Directv system now (just taking advantage of the free offer Honey) then deliver the TV at the appropriate time?

cajazzman

dcd, good idea, but I need her to clear out the old SD DVR, then, we can hook up the upgrade, HD DVR. But, how do I say she needs to do this because.....? But, good idea.

carl6

Tell her you got an error code that the hard drive might be failing, and it would be a good idea if she started watching as much as possible so she doesn't lose anything. Once it fails you'll arrange for a replacement.

carl6

And I think you've got 30 days from when you get a new DVR or receiver to activate it.

cajazzman

So, today, not only was the new HDTV, which is a Samsung 40" LED Smart TV Model: UN40EH5300FXZA, was delivered, but, then I ordered the new replacement, HD DVR, so, now, just to wait for that to be delivered. My wife is going to be so surprised, beyond belief, for Christmas. Then, after that just activate, and setup the "Whole Home", for our system. Just a great day all around.

cajazzman

If you had read, that I've had HD now for over 10 years, which I've had all that time, an HD Dish, as well. But, thanks anyways.

Make sure they send you two bbc filters unless its an hr23 

I also noticed your intrest in whole home you need a swim system to have

Whole home service.I bring this up because of the r15 witch is not swim

Compatable so ptobbaly gonna need

A tech out there to swap lnb and multiswitch

cajazzman

Everything I have and with the new components, will work with "Whole Home" system. No need for a tech to come out, when one is not needed. I always do my research before continuing on, with any project. With guys like, peds48, dcd, and Litzdog, I know I'm in good hands.

Well if you are using a r15 you are going to need a visit unless you are using legacy ports off a swim 16 which I doubt  we are not here to argue

Just to steer you correctly you may have done resaerch but I have been a directv tech for 6 years so good luck

peds48

Yup, you are ....

dcd

Yup indeed.  As to the point that brisak78 raised, he may well have a valid point.  On your current HD receiver/DVR press the dash button.  Does the resulting message indicate SWM present?"  If not, you'll need a conversion of your current dish to SWM before you can activate the Whole Home service.  Note that the R15 will not work with SWM, but as I understand it you're replacing that with a HD box.

cajazzman

dcd, I did as you stated, and when I press the "dash", it comes up with the receiver number, and the location, and it then states, internet connection: good, and then I press the "ok" button. So, I'd say that I need the swm connected. This is correct?

If you did not see swim connected you will need a tech visit for whole home services.If you are not worried about

Whole home you are good

cajazzman

brisak78, I just wanted to tell you, thanks, because, I, was under the assumption, that my system was "whole Home" ready, but as it turns out, since you brought it up, it's not ready. I called Directv, and once we have the HDTV, and our new HD DVR hooked up, I will have a tech come out, and make it a SWM system, so that we'll have the "Whole Home" activated and working. Now, what I need to know, is how to do the "Whole Home" setup. I, realize, what it will be able to do, but I'm hoping that, there's guide on how to operate it. I did find a video that explains it all.But, still, Thanks!

cajazzman

dcd, today, I received the upgraded HR22-100 receiver. Does this have a 500GB hard drive, as I've read at many websites? It doesn't look brand new, but I hope it will be a compliment  to our HR23-700 receiver. Now to wait until Christmas, to setup the HDTV and then activation.

peds48

Yes, the HR22 does have a 500GB drive.

cajazzman

Great, just one more thing, I was hoping for and received. My wife will be QUEEN FOREVER, with our new setup. Just can't wait to see her expression, on Christmas.

dcd

Good for you, I'm sure your Wife will be pleased, and although it's a shade early, Happy Holidays.

cajazzman

So, I contacted Diretv support about the possibility, of upgrading my equipment so, we could activate Whole Home service, and the rep said that it would cost me/us $199.00 to upgrade to the SWM setup. I was under the impression that we were eligible for a Free Equipment upgrade, which we have received the upgrade receiver. But, are now being told of this outrageous $199.00 cost.