4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 24, 2013 8:42 AM by carl6 RSS

Genie DVR receiver

rubiconlwb

I currently have an older model DVR and am interested in upgrading to the Genie.  My question is this, if I obtain a Genie either from Direct TV or a used unit from e-bay, will I be able to put the access card from my current unit it the Genie, hook up the cables and use the Genie as-is?  I don't really need the custom features of the unit such as whole home access but would like the ability to record up to 6 programs at once.  Do I need a new dish and/or additional equipment?  I am simply trying to gain the one capability without spending a ton of money and having to have waste a day waiting for the techs to come to the house.

• Re: Genie DVR receiver

You are going to need a proffesional install you cannot swap the card and you are going to neex a dish upgrade

peds48
    Genies only works in a SWM only system. Press the dash button on your remote to find out if you have a SWM system currently installed.  If you don't, you will need DirecTV to come and install it for you as you may need a new SWM LNB or SWM multiswitch.

Also we need to know whatnot her receivers do you currently have.

And FYI, the Genie can record up to 5 shows at the same time, not 6

carl6

Also be VERY careful about "buying" a used/previously activated Genie on eBay or Craigslist or similar.  Get the receiver ID number (RID) from the unit and call DirecTV Access Card Department and verify the unit can be activated if you obtain it BEFORE you pay anything for it. Also know you will have to buy a new access card (cost $20) from DirecTV.

There are vendors on eBay that "sell" new equipment, and it is okay to "buy" that, but understand that you are not buying it, you are leasing it from DirecTV.  You can normally get as good or better a deal by ordering it directly from DirecTV.