18 Replies Latest reply: Dec 15, 2013 2:41 AM by spionnadh RSS

HD dish installation?

sno-twister76

HD dish installation - Will Directv allow me to install the Slimline Dish myself and when it is done have the installer come out to do the alignment and finish the setup? I currently have the older dual LNB 18" dish mounted on the side of the house. I want the new dish in the same location. After looking at several homes in my neighbor hood most are mounted low on the side of a home or directly on the roof. The roof option is out, as I just had a new roof installed. Where my dish is now it is hidden from view of the street

• Re: HD dish installation?
    dcd

Probably, but you'd need to buy the dish yourself and then order the update and not mention you've already mounted a dish.  A better approach is to order the service and when the installer arrives, show him where you'd like the dish mounted.  Note that the baseplate on the HD dish is larger than the SD model.

sno-twister76

Thanks for the quick reply. I should also say that where I want it mounted on the side of the house there is vinyl siding. Which seems to be the reason so many of the neighbors dishes are mounted lower on the brick. I know that only basic installation is free, but in a way I'm trying to help the installer out. I don't know an installer in my area to contact directly to discuss this with. There are a few places that sell just the dish and mounting without the LNB. Would an installer have any issues with this?

I also understand with the Slimline dish I only need one cable routed to the Genie receiver. My current routing is two cables from the dish into an 8 port multi-switch located in the attic. From there two cables drop down to the upstairs bedroom, two more run down inside the house to the basement to another multi-switch, then to the receiver and another location in the living room. The multi-switches are un-powered. All un-used ports are terminated. With the Genie setup I see there is a power inserter. How far from the dish can this be located for a 2 TV setup with one in the basement the other on the second floor? There is no power in the attic.

dtvuser2013

In my shop we are not to mount to

To siding, I think your best bet would

Be pole mount right next to the your

Current dish.

With the swm lnb you will only need

A two way splitter in the attic that will

Feed both recievers.You can place the

Power inserter anywhere in the system

As long as it feeds bach though the

Power pass portion of the splitter

dtvuser2013

Im trying to figure out what you are

Trying to do.All of this would be done

By an installer with an upgrade if you

Are eligible.

sno-twister76

Yep, that's exactly why I would like to mount it myself. I do not want a roof mount, so I want it at the current location. Is there a way to post photos on the forum? I am replacing the current dish and my old Tivo R10, and upgrading to the HD Genie system. I have been with Direct TV for about 17 years and installed my own equipment every place I lived. I want a nice neat installation hidden from view on the street. My current location is fine for the new dish, but I know the installer won't put it there.

peds48

why are you saying that the installer wont install the dish where you want it?  even if you install it yourself and the dish is not on an approved location, the installer might not even do the upgrade, as he's is responsible for the dish, even if he did not install it.

dtvuser2013

What are you trying to gain by this.You will still need a hd reciver

To achieve hd programing.

Best to have the installer do it.You may have the standard dish there

But the slimline is much larger and

You may not have enough turn for

The dish.

wyounce

Do you know what size the current mount is. If the current dish that is there is 2 inches ODU. Then the new dish will go on it too. Which will take care of thing.

spionnadh

Why not try a sled mount on the ground?

bufmufr

Really?  on sled on ground?

Ok..couple of things.

Most techs(those who work for DTV and Official contractors will NOT mount to side of house/vinyl).  Reason?  It will fail Inspection and or possible damage claim.  Specially on Vinyl.

I have two mounts on most residential...roof or pole (will do sled mount on flat ROOF if needed but costs).

Too many possible issues mounting it elsewhere...

Sorry..but that is the way I see it.

spionnadh

Yes really, we do it all the time in my market due to pesky apartment companies refusing to allow us to mount to the building or place a pole in the ground. I have seen customers (if LOS allows) place the sled mount next to the house and decorate around it with an AC fence. Just putting out options