17 Replies Latest reply: Dec 25, 2013 3:48 PM by peds48 RSS

Flat roof dish mount.

sl4

I have a new membrane roof which I can't penetrate without voiding a warranty. I have been told that DirecTv can install a non-penetrating mounting "pan" with weights for stabilization. Is this a common practice?

• Re: Flat roof dish mount.
    timgrove_iss

Sled or Non-Penetrating mounts are common use on commercial installs and location that have flat roofs.  The link below shows the mount without the 6 cinder blocks

https://www.perfect-10.tv/WebStore/ProductDetail.aspx?ID=363

Yes there are assemblies you can get, that you place concrete blocks in, to weight it down.  Or have a local metal shop fabricate a mounting platform, with steel weights.

What about securing the mast to the side of the structure, or on a polemounted in concrete.  Here you go for $48. Amazon.com : Non - Penetrating Roof Mount 2 - Inch for satellite dish : Satellite Tv Dish Mounts : Electronics

peds48

yup, DirecTV should be able to provide the non-pen mount and the bricks at no cost.  When the tech calls to say he is "en route" let him know that you need one of these as they usually dont carry their on their trucks

wyounce

Yes let the tech know up front. Because some charge extra to install them as we/they have to pay for the supply. Just letting you know. Not all tech/installers charge for it.

dtvuser2013

Residential accounts do not receive free non pen mounts.They are

Provided for free on commercial job.Most installers do not carry one plus the 8 cinder blocks on thier truck.

peds48

From DirecTV "SPIG" Standard Professional Installation Guidelines

1. Properly mounting to customer’s home,aligning and peaking satellite antenna for maximum signal strength. Standard mounting includes, but is not limited to, the roof, eave, outside wall, balcony, deck, chimney pole, or ground pole mounts when necessary for line of sight, and tripod and other Non Penetrating mounts. Six lag bolts must be used on all mounting surfaces with the exception of concrete or brick and the use of two monopoles with 2 DIRECTV-approved lag bolts or anchor screws for every KA/KU ODU installed on the roof, wall or other standard location.

Non-pens are free to the customer when needed.

dtvuser2013

A non pen is not needed if customer is requseting a non pen it will be a custom charge.A ground pole would

Be a suitable option.Or dish mounted

To wall.

Take note to your paragraph its only free if its a line of sight issue.Plus who

Wants a commercial non pen loaded

With 8 blocks on thier house talk about

Eyesore

peds48

take note to the punctuation. I will spell it for you

Standard mounting includes, but is not limited to, the roof, eave, outside wall, balcony, deck, chimney pole,

or ground pole mounts when necessary for line of sight,

and tripod and other Non Penetrating mounts.

LOS applies to pole mount only. Notice the commas??

As I said, per DirecTV "book" non-pens are free. 

dtvuser2013

WHEN NEEDED its non needed when other options are available.If a

Pole mount  non pen or tripod is customer requested they will pay

For it.

If it is a line of sight issue thats a different story.Again its not normal to

Install a non pen on someones house

But if you want your house to look like a gas station go for it

bufmufr

uh Peds...usually agree with you....but...

Couple of things...one...  Tripod is definitely not approved mounting device in our area. (our area swm only, but would figure rest of country going that way.)

And hard to use monopoles on stubby mount.

That is old info.

We do Not give customers, in our area, free non pen unless they are commercial.

mastec123

If a subcontractor does your installation, You will be charged!!! My office makes me pay 40$ for the non penetrating roof mount. I then have to go to the hardware and buy 6 cinder blocks. I have to carry all 6 cinder blocks onto your roof. That is not covered under DirecTV  "standard installation"

We can use a non-pen mount on alot of places, but its only a temp mount, and not recommended in our offices as long term use.