14 Replies Latest reply: Mar 20, 2014 8:33 AM by creidman12 RSS

Sony RVU Issues

creidman12

Just received a new Sony R550A for Christmas...and was able to connect to my Genie HR44 with no issues via DTV Customer support.

The new Sony does connect wirelessly to my HR44 via RVU....however, the picture and sound on the new TV "skips" or breaks up quite often...even though its only a few feet away from the HR44.

After some trial & error...I have narrowed down that having a cell phone or computer connected to the same home network is causing the RVU interruption....when those devices are disabled....the Sony picture & sound work flawlessly.

After many hours of research....there is no info on this issue on this site...or the Internet for that matter. Probably because this type of setup is new...and DTV just started supporting the Sony RVU TV's just recently.

So the question is....anyone experiencing reception issues on their Sony RVU TV with other wireless devices simultaneously connected to the same home network? Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

• Re: Sony RVU Issues
    pezman

This same exact thing happens to me.  I've been through countless rounds of tech support, most are absolutely clueless on RVU.  Have tried 3 different (brand new) and varied model routers, with Deca and without.  They even upgraded me from HR34 to HR44.

The skipping problem is completely absent when you immediately hook up a new receiver (either model).  Once the guide loads and the software updates, however, the problem reappears.

There is also a very quirky issue with this Sony- the guide and/or menu screens can sometimes appear with a VERY bright yellow background (and the text is still white, which causes readability issues).

This needs to be remedied, and quick

peds48

pezman wrote:

This same exact thing happens to me.  I've been through countless rounds of tech support, most are absolutely clueless on RVU.  Have tried 3 different (brand new) and varied model routers, with Deca and without.  They even upgraded me from HR34 to HR44.

The skipping problem is completely absent when you immediately hook up a new receiver (either model).  Once the guide loads and the software updates, however, the problem reappears.

It would appear to me that the Sony RVU implementation is "broken" as it works with the previous software.  that is the BIG advantage of getting a DirecTV RVU clients, DirecTV will always make sure that their server and clients will communicate happily, as opposed to 3rd parties since you have to wait for them to update their software to match DirecTV

pezman

Sony's RVU implementation should be no different than Samsung's.  It's a protocol standard, not an interpretation.  Again, back to the same point...  DirecTV (and Sony) advertised this as a fully fleshed-out feature, baited thousands of folks to buy these units, only to experience barely-watchable television.

I'm curious why so many here defend DTV when the best course of action would be to make visible the shortcomings so they can fix them?

shannon01

This is a wireless problem not DTV's if you connect the RVU with an Ethernet cable or with a DECA BB and coax your problem will go away.

pezman

Shannon, you are 100%, without question, incorrect.

This TV is marketed and advertised by Sony and DTV as a wireless RVU TV.  Please don't mislead others!  This is undeniably a DTV problem.

dcd

I'm with Shannon on this one.  If you read the forums top to bottom every day as I (and I believe Shannon) do, you'd know that at least half the problems we see posted have to do with wireless configurations.  I personally don't have a single Directv related feature that operates wirelessly, it's all hard wire for me. 

pezman

I've worked with technology for a living for 15+ years.  Long enough to see the advent of wireless and its progression.

No amount of tweaking, nor swapping high-end router for another high-end router fixed this problem.  The only exercise that affected the issue was swapping the DTV box, and that fix lasted for about 2-3 days each time.

Other issues you may read about on these forums may be affected by wireless configuration, but I can assure you that this one is not.

dcd

Lot's of folks are running HR34/HR44 to C31/C41 Clients via coax cable and having perfect success.  That's my recommendation.  If you want to stick with wireless RVU where one manufacturer's software can't handle the other manufacturers software then the WiFi connection is likely, as you state, not the cause.

pezman

Did it ever occur to you folks that, perhaps, due to the fact this solution

was advertised to work wirelessly, that many people purchased these TV's

for use in areas that could not support a wired connection?

I understand full well that I could run a coax connection and throw an H25 or CXX

box on the TV and it'd be fine.  That's not the point of this thread, and

it does not solve the problem.

creidman12

Wanted to circle back and refresh the post.

Too funny...just experienced the "yellow" guide the other day. Not a huge deal...just powered off the TV and it went back to normal on power up.

The skipping still continues however. Wanted to try playing around with a separate wireless router for TV service only (maybe split my Roadrunner service into two routers?), but then realized I have no idea how my HR44 communicates with the RVU in my Sony TV. Through my wireless WiFi signal (home network), or does the HR44 send out its own signal?

shannon01

The HR44 sends the programs to the router then the router sends it to the TV.

peds48

There are 3 components involved in your set up. Your RVU TV, the HR44 and your router, with the router being in the middle.  The HR44 can connect either wired or wireless to the router and the same for TV. so depending on how your components are connected to the router, that is how the talk to each other

creidman12

Thanks guys...that is helpful.

I will begin experimenting with a wireless Ethernet bridge between the router and my Sony RVU TV to see if it remedies the problem. I will report back.

creidman12

Okay...promised to circle back...and I am.

At the recommendation of the guy at Fry's....I first upgraded my wireless router to a Dual Band, so I could place my computers and phones on a 2.5 GHz signal, and only my Sony RVU TV on a dedicated 5Ghz. Sounded like a great plan, but found out after setup that the Sony TV does not recognize 5 GHz signal....so no luck. Switched the TV to 2.5GHz and the computers/phones to 5 GHz...and TV still skipped.

So as a last resort...I went back to Fry's and picked up a wireless ethernet bridge that could operate on 5 GHz....and SUCCESS!!!! No more interference issues and no more skipping. I'm still a little ****** about investing another $250 in equipment to get the HR44 and Sony TV to operate correctly...but after you sink $1000 in a RVU TV....how could I quit?

So in summary.....my perfectly working setup is now:

1. ISP directly to Linksys AC1200 wireless router
        2. HR44 hard wired to router
        3. Sony RVU TV wirelessly bridged to router on 5 GHz signal..and still relatively "wireless" and can be moved around the house easily.
        4. All computers/phones etc. wireless to router on 2.5GHz signal

Hopefully...if your new Sony RVU TV is experiencing the same issues....this post should help a bunch. If I had to go back again...I would try the wireless ethernet bridged Sony RVU TV concept first...and if no luck..then add a new Dual Band router.