11 Replies Latest reply: Aug 30, 2014 2:04 PM by jetmustang RSS

HR24/500 no longer reads external hard drive

dgibson61

Came back from Christmas vacation and one of my receivers, HR24/500 is having issues reading external hard drive.  I ran the diagnostics test and it found errors on the hard drive, so purchased a new one.  Unplugged and rebooted properly, and it recognized the new one and formatted it, when it came back on got message about having issues and told to reboot which I did.  I am assuming something is wrong, because when the old external hard drive stopped working, I unplugged it and recorded something to HR24 internal hard drive. I assumed when I connected new external hard drive, playlist should be empty, but it still shows the recorded show from internal hard drive.  Does this mean it is not recognizing new external hard drive?   Does it transfer recordings to the external hard drive from internal drive (never seen this), OR am I missing something.  I am a computer engineer by trade, so very tech savvy, and I have external hard drives on my other 3 HD DVR that work fine....  Any help would be appreciated,,,,

• Re: HR24/500 no longer reads external hard drive
    litzdog911

Yes, it's not recognizing the new drive.   It does not transfer recordings from the internal to an external drive.

What brand/model is your new external eSATA drive?  Be sure to power up that drive BEFORE powering up the DVR. 

dgibson61

The model is Fantom Drives 2TB 64MB Cache GForce3 USB 3.0/eSATA Aluminum External Hard Drive .

I ran the diagnostics test and it is not recognizing the new drive.  I am 100% sure when I 1st connected the new drive, I got message saying drive was being formatted which made me assume the drive was recognized?   Could the problem be the HR24/500 Unit...  I've had an external drive attached to the unit since Day 1. I've had it a couple of years I think.  Hard to believe old external was bad and now new 1 bad. 

Sent: Friday, January 03, 2014 5:41 PM

To: dgibson61

Subject: Re:  - HR24/500 no longer reads external hard drive

DIRECTV Technical Forums 

reply from litzdog911 in High Definition Digital Video Recording (HD DVRs) - View the full discussion

dgibson61

OK, just did whole procedure again, still only reading internal drive.  I am thinking it’s the HR24/500, is there something within the diagnostics tests that can validate this?

Sent: Friday, January 03, 2014 6:04 PM

To: jive-64145238-62991-2-6pnas@forums.directv.com

The model is Fantom Drives 2TB 64MB Cache GForce3 USB 3.0/eSATA Aluminum External Hard Drive .

I ran the diagnostics test and it is not recognizing the new drive.  I am 100% sure when I 1st connected the new drive, I got message saying drive was being formatted which made me assume the drive was recognized?   Could the problem be the HR24/500 Unit...  I've had an external drive attached to the unit since Day 1. I've had it a couple of years I think.  Hard to believe old external was bad and now new 1 bad. 

Sent: Friday, January 03, 2014 5:41 PM

DIRECTV Technical Forums 

reply from litzdog911 in High Definition Digital Video Recording (HD DVRs) - View the full discussion

litzdog911

I doubt it's the HR24.  Some eSATA drives are simply "more compatible" than others.   You might try reformatting the eSATA drive using your PC, then reconnect it to the HR24.   If it still doesn't work, I suggest trying a different brand eSATA drive.  Hopefully you can return this drive.

dgibson61

Are you kidding me?  I was thinking it was something with the HR24/500. I have 4 HD DVRs and have used external drives for many years on each of them.  Find it very hard to believe the original one was bad, and

NOW the new drive is faulty as well.  I am a Tech guy and as long as the drive is eSATA and the brand is Fantom.  I don’t have any issues using Fantom drives in any of the other HD DVRs...  I have the protection plan, I will make DIRECTV

swap the box. 

Sent: Friday, January 03, 2014 6:26 PM

DIRECTV Technical Forums