8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 7, 2014 7:06 PM by erie910 RSS

Program remote for RCA TVs

erie910

I have 2 RCA TV's, one a new HD LED and the other an older one.  When I program the remote with codes provided by RCA (for the LED TV) and DirecTV (for the older one) the remote, model RC65X will adjust volume and change channels, but will not turn the TV's on or off.  Is there any updated firmware available for the DirecTV remotes to control these TV's?

• Re: Program remote for RCA TVs
    litzdog911

Does it turn off/on the TV when the remote's slide switch is in the "TV" position?
    What model DirecTV DVR/Receiver do you have?

erie910

It will turn the TV on & off only when I press the POWER button in the middle of the top of the remote.  The ON/OFF buttons will not control the TV.  When I press the MENU or INFO buttons on the remote, nothing happens.

The DVR is an HR34-700.

tivoburkee

You can try searching for the OFF command with tv on:

1. tv

2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks

3. enter 9 9 1, wait two blinks

4. enter 1

5. press and release Tv OFF

6. point the remote at the tv and keep pressing and releasing the CH UP key, if and when the tv powers off

7. press select to lock in code

erie910

I tried that also, but after scrolling through over 100 codes, I found nothing that worked.

It appears that the problem has worsened--I no longer can change the channel, get the guide or the INFO screen on the Genie DVR.  The first tech with whom I spoke said that it was a bad remote.  I chatted with a second tech, and she had me try a second remote on the Genie, with no success.  We can change channels on the DVR, and we can turn the TV on and control the volume with the remote.  But we cannot do anything else with the original remote or the other one which we tried.  I suspect a problem with the Genie.

litzdog911

What is the remote's model number?  If it ends in an "R", try changing the remote to RF Mode instead of infrared.  Perhaps something is interfering with the IR signal in that room. 

erie910

It's an RC65X.

litzdog911

Sorry, that's not an RF-capable remote.   Often the source of the IR interference is the TV itself, especially LCD displays.  Try this ....

1. Turn off the TV, but leave the DirecTV Receiver on
                2. Use the DirecTV remote to change the channel or some other remote command
                3. Turn on the TV. Did the Receiver respond properly?
                  erie910

The problem was that, when the first tech support person reset the Genie, it reverted to RF remote control input, not IR.  The second tech support person never even thought that this might be the problem.  The third tech support person figured it out, and the Genie now responds.

However, none of the codes provided, either by RCA or by DirecTV will program the remote to turn either RCA TV on or off.  I still have to use the TV remote to do that.  I've tried the 991 and then channel up through over 100 codes, but no response from the TV.  Since one of these TV's is fairly old (2006 manufacture date) and one is a current product, I wonder why DirecTV's "universal" remote won't control either.  It wouldn't turn a Daewoo TV that I had off or on, or even control the volume.  At least the DirecTV remote controls the volunme.  Am I at a dead end?