16 Replies Latest reply: Sep 15, 2014 9:22 PM by wooferz RSS

HR34-700 Super Slow

badogg

Ok, so I've had several DTV DVR's over the years and I am just so beyond frustrated with the performance of the software.  When I was approaching the end of my contract previously I had called to cancel my service and send back the equipment due to the slow guide browsing, channel changing, and messed up recordings.  They convinced me to accept an upgrade to their Genie HR34-700 system and while I like the additional tuners and available recording space, I am still having big time lag on browsing the guide, my recorded list, and skipping through recordings is still massively flawed as it doesn't respond to half of the remote button presses and at times will just jump to the end of the recording as if I was holding down the skip button even though it was only pressed once or twice.  There is something seriously wrong with the programming in the software on these receivers, I'm not sure if it is intentional or if these are program bugs but it has been present since I have been with DirecTv (years now) through several generations of receivers. 

I hope there are some answers or steps to take to help with it, or I'm jumping ship as I just don't have time to keep futzing with these receivers plus I'm sick of the problems.  If the receivers can't take the bloat that is being added to the programming, then make it optional so we can opt-out of some of it to keep our receivers functional.

• Re: HR34-700 Super Slow
    peds48

First thing to try is resetting your DVR/Receiver using the red button behind the front panel access card door. See if that helps. ( on side panel on H25 receivers).

Run the Built in Self-test (BIST) to try and repair your hard drive. To run the hard drive checks, please follow these steps:

* Reboot DVR via red button inside card door.

* When you see "Running receiver self-check" press select

* You will see "Entering Diagnostics Mode..."

* Select Advanced Tests Menu -> Hard Drive utilities -> Short Smart test

You can also run the file test, and the DVR can sometimes repair a bad file report.

* If the other tests pass, run the surface test.   Warning: This process could take several hours to complete. You may want to run it overnight.

The good news is that every attempt is made to save programming. This is less destructive than a reformat all and could provide you with a more stable system if you are having problems that appear to be related to the hard drive. 

dcd

The symtoms you describe can be the result of a lo grade IR interference.  If the model number of your Genie's remot has an R in it, you can configure the remote/Genie to RF operation and you might see a world of difference.

Note that I'd still run the BIST that Peds recommended.

rkkingme

I have the same issue, but I have the added issue of the genie not responding to input from the remote or the buttons on the unit. It will stop responding for about a minute. Kind of ***** when kids are in the living room and it decides to stop responding when surfing through channels and a commercial for Naked and Afraid is on or something worse. It's Very slow. It's not using rf mode because that's even slower. I've done the drive checks, cleared nvram, guide cache and other self tests. I'm getting good signal from the sat. The drive is not even close to full. This unit has been sluggish from day 1. I thought my old Dish unit was slow until I got this piece.  The additional unit in my bedroom is much slower. Sometimes will just freeze on menu screens for a minute or two. Can't wait till my contract is up. I jumped from Dish about 1.5 years ago and have regretted it ever since. Their equipment would lock up when the guide updated and the rf remote for the bedroom wouldn't reach the base station, but it wasn't as slow as this and didn't delete my TV shows randomly. Glad that got fixed. Sorry for the rant.  Just frustrated with the equipment.

elevatorman

I am having the same problem in all rooms the remote will stop working the receiver will not take any inputs from the remotes. Its not the remotes because I have 3 tvs and they all do it. I noticed it after the last software download ( I forgot the date) a few months ago. It is getting so bad we cant do anything with the remotes at times.

dcd

If either of you folks want technical assistance I suggest you each begin a fresh thread and describe your installation in detail.  Of course if you were simply wishing to rant then nuff said.

rkkingme

Sorry for the rant. I would delete it but it looks like I can't.  I should have posted a separate post.  However I did shut the system down last night, pulled the card (not sure if that does anything or not). Booted it to the utilities screen and then shut it back down. Put the card back in. Unplugged it completely for a while and let it cool down. I noticed that there is a possibility of the fan being blocked so I made sure it wasn't blocked.  I connected the main unit directly to the network via ca5. Moved the coax network adapter to my bedroom and connected it to cat5 there. Made sure to connect the coax connections up the same with the splitter that the installer used. It didn't seem to lock up the rest of the night. Still isn't blazing fast but seems a little better. If it starts locking up again, I'll post a new thread.

dcd

rkkingme,  The connections you've made are incorrect and will hamper the Whole Home operation of your system.  Any Whole Home system can have but one connection to the router, that connection will provide Internet service to all of the HD boxes in the system via a 9th channel in the coax connected to each.  Connecting in two places will create a conflict and the sharing between DVR's and receivers will be hampered.  You can connect a Genie HR34 or HR44 directly to the router via Ethernet cable and is a preferred connection.  Using the DECA BB adapter is required on any other model of DVR.  If your direct connection is to a Genie, I recommend that you remove the adapter from the system.  It may require a power down reset of the DVR's to get everything in sync.

rkkingme

DECA is removed. Thanks for the info.  I figured it had to be used for the secondary box since the installer installed it.  Not sure why he used it since my router was about 2 feet away and I had a network cable to plug it in. Thanks again for the reply.

shannon01

DTV techs are trained to use the DECA BB or with the HR44 the built in WiFi or the older CCK-W don't know why the DECCA BB wasn't working for you.

dcd

Shannon,  Rkkingme had the DECA BB plus the HR44 direct connected to the router.  That's why the DECA BB wasn't working.  He disconnected the DECA BB but left the direct connection on the Genie and all is well.

shannon01

If the DECA BB was working why use the Ethernet cable?

rkkingme

My HR34 unit was locking me out multiple times an hour. It wouldn't accept input from the remote or the buttons on the front. The DECA was working, but I moved it to the bedroom to get it closer to the bedroom unit, erroneously thinking it was required for that box to have network access and that the RG59 cable between the genie and the bedroom box might be causing a problem. And I connected the main genie box directly to the router.  Both systems were working fine connected this way, but I see where there could be a network issue if I didn't remove the DECA.  I didn't want to put the DECA back in the loop because I didn't want to use extra equipment  and have all those cabled hanging around if I didn't have to and it seemed to get fairly hot. I like to keep things simple if I can. To me 1 Ethernet cable is much better than a DECA with it's power adapter and coax connection, the splitter and three coax cables used to get it in the loop. The system seems to have stopped locking me out so far.

ilook4fire

I am sorry, I don’t understand why we should start a new thread if we all are having the same problem with the HR34-700. If everyone were able to share this problem on the same thread, it would be a lot easier to track how many of us are having the same problem. Along with what worked or didn’t work to fix this problem. I’m not trying to be a pain. I am just frustrated with this problem.

12rted

I have the same slow/freeze problems as the others here. It's so frustrating. I switched from Time Warner, what a mistake!

Any bad wheather (rain or snow) and the receiver goes out. Also, one of the bedroom tvs won't get sound until I unplug the HDMI cable and plug it back in. This equipment is pure JUNK!  Try calling for tech support and they suggest the same things I've already tried. As soon as I figure out how to transfer some things I've recorded, DTV is out! 

texasbrit

As I posted earlier the HR34 has a software bug that causes a slowdown, sometimes a freeze. I believe that the latest beta software fixes this problem but it could be several weeks before there is a national software release with the fix included.

wooferz

HR34-700 Users:

DTV is still working to address this problem with the HR34-700 lagging/freezing (menu/guide slowness) and occasional video freezing/pixel etc.....

They have been doing some testing with a software patch.... while no ETR... hopefully the software will be out very soon.