11 Replies Latest reply: Jan 9, 2014 12:59 AM by ciprian RSS

3D content

shaneyb72

What 3D content is available on DirecTV?  I see on some posts a mention of channels 103-107.  But on my guide I only see 104 and 107.  Is that it now?  Anything else?

• Re: 3D content
    shannon01

That is it 104,107

104 & 107 are the main two.  Then you have some 3D programming in 1100.  Right now in DirecTV Cinema, there is:  3D Woman, The Smurfs 2, Despicable Me 2, The Wizard of Oz, Battle of the Year, A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas, Night of the Living Dead, One Direction: This is Us, Frozen in Time: Our History, Sky Soldier: A Vietnam Story, Nascar 3D: The Imax Experience.

If you do a Smart Search for "3D", then choose Category, it will bring up also upcoming 3D programming.

As you can tell, it is very limited, due to the fact that 3D is looked upon as a gimmick by the mass majority.  Manufacturers & providers thought that it would take off, and took a very risky gamble in doing so.

The only thing that 3D has done, is allowed tv & projector manufacturers, create better ways of making the image cleaner, when the viewer watches tv on newer HD sets.

peds48

broe23 wrote:

The only thing that 3D has done, is allowed tv & projector manufacturers, create better ways of making the image cleaner, when the viewer watches tv on newer HD sets.

How???

3D technology has allowed manufacturers to create better screens and chipsets, that will handle 2D better, then the older 2D sets.  Even if a person is not planning on using 3D, they will find the picture quality on most sets that are 3D capable, better then those that are not 3D capable.

Every set produced now, even if it does not have the 3D setting on it, uses the same board as the sister set that has 3D.  You will find that on just about every hdtv produced these days.

peds48

not quite, but I'll leave it at that....

You pull any set out there that has been manufactured in the past two years, that is only 2D capable, then pull the 3D set of that same line, you will find the same boards in them.  The only thing that is different is the software that is loaded at the factory, to lock out the 3D settings on the 2D set.

My Panasonic TH-42PX75U is 720P Native only, but uses the same board that the 1080p version of that line used, for the Video.  It will show 1080p, even though the set is listed as not capable, all due to that it uses the same circuit boards as the sister sets that were 1080p, as I stated before.

ciprian

That's correct - it's only 104 and 107.

104 is a Cinema channel (there's an extra fee for watching content there).

107 is the only 3d channel available at no extra cost for customers with Choice (or more) packages.

I asked directv many times about channel 103 (n3D). Even today, I've received a message stating:

"N3D (Ch. 103), is still part of DIRECTV’s channel line-up. N3D is available at no extra cost for customers who subscribe to applicable Advanced Receiver Services and have the correct 3D/HD equipment/receiver. While N3D is not a 24-hour 3D network, this channel offers part-time 3D programming. Customers are encouraged check the guide for air dates and times."

But actually they pulled the plug on this channel since July 2012.

However, they finally removed that channel from their channel listing on DIRECTV Mobile site

I hope more 3d content will be added as long as more people are buying now 3d TVs.

Doubtful, since less are buying hd sets at this time.  As for more buying 3D sets, they are not going to pay extra for 3D content.  Most are buying them, because they are the only model available now in most stores.  Providers though will not be bringing back 3D, unless the studios and broadcasters decide to start creating more content.

What little is out there, is 1% of 1%.

ciprian

I've decided to get the Choice package (opposed to Entertainment) just because they listed 3net and n3d. I got disappointed to find out that, despite advertising n3d, directv didn't actually offer it. So I was willing to pay a bit extra just for 3D content. And if I decide to get a pay per view movie, I'll probably get the 3d version.

There is some 3d content out there (movies, nature documentaries, etc). I think active 3d is inconvenient as long as you need to make sure that the glasses are charged. But passive 3d is pretty convenient for me - I don't get dizzy by watching more than 2 hours 3d content and the polarized glasses don't require batteries or any charge.

3d had a chicken and egg problem - it was over-advertised but it didn't take out because there was not enough content (and also, due to the fact that active glasses are not very convenient).

While BBC, ESPN and n3d were dropped in 2012-2013, Netflix decided to add 3d content in 2013. Directv (like Netflix or Comcast) can probably measure how much interest is still there for their own 3d channels and provide that info to the studios and broadcasters...

Sochi is supposed to be in 3D, and have the most online content.  They are working with Panasonic, to do the 3D for this year's Winter Olympics.  Even if consumers start purchasing 3D sets, a lot of them will not even use the feature on them.

Every Blu-Ray player and gaming system you purchase now, is 3D capable.  Our Panasonic HD that I posted the model of, is now going on eight years, without a blip.  The picture is still as good as the first day we got it.

If it does go out, I plan on beating the wife to the punch, and getting a 80" for the Living Room.  She wants a 60" of course.  Her reasoning is that the 80" will be too large for our living Room, even though we sit about ten feet away for the 42" that we currently have.

ciprian

I have a Sony 70 inch passive 3D TV and we stay at aprox 10 feet away. 10 feet away is actually a bit further than the optimum viewing distance. This TV has a DVR system inside so there's no need for Genie Mini (but I had a real bad time to convince directv installers that they don't need to hijack my coax and HDMI cables and connect a mini to it, but use an existing network cable instead).

We'll wait and see for the future of 3d content. There's quite a few 3d movies in theaters and people are willing to pay extra for 3d there. Probably the adoption is going to grow if they get 3d glass free TVs but it's hard to predict the future.