7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2014 4:29 AM by dcd RSS

When is direct tv getting 4k equipment.

dtv8000

When is direct tv getting 4k equipment.  Comcast is coming out with their x1 4k capable receiver later this year.

I know they will be doing steaming content for the Olympics.  Is the only way to get this on a tv is to hook a pc up to it? I don't know if DNLA can even stream it.

• Re: When is direct tv getting 4k equipment.
    dcd

Here's an article you may find enlightening.

DirecTV Preps for 4K | Light Reading

kingwr12

I am hoping that new equipment is not required. Hopefully new 4K content will become available and can be viewed/recorded on my HR44. I should just need the 4K TV (and maybe a new HDMI cable with better specs.) How it ends up working/looking on the RVU clients is a different story, however.

dcd

You apparently didn't read the article I linked.  All new equipment will be required, including a 4K TV.

kingwr12

I did not read it in detail. Is that a prerequisite for posting to these forums?  There was no technical reason given for the need for new STBs. It's all just H.264 content being decoded and sent to the TV. Perhaps instead of chastising posters for not thoroughly reading, you can share some of your "expert" knowledge as to why new equipment is required.

dcd

kingwr12 wrote:

I did not read it in detail. Is that a prerequisite for posting to these forums?

No, not a prerequisite, but if you wish to join a conversation in progress it's always nice to be more or less informed.  You can always start a new fresh thread and then there wouldn't be any need to "catch up".  In any event, I don't know any of the deep technical details of 4K, but I do know this.  All modern TV's are fixed pixel, so a 1080p TV can only display in 1080p resolution.  The TV has electronics that convert other resolutions to 1080p but I'm confident that mine doesn't have any capability of handling a 4K resolution signal.  I assume the same is true of much of the equipment throughout the system.  Note that when HD came along, it required a new set top box and dish.  I seriously doubt the current group of HD STBs don't have the processing power to handle 4K.

kingwr12

I did not read it in detail. Is that a prerequisite for posting to these forums?  There was no technical reason given for the need for new STBs. It's all just H.264 content being decoded and sent to the TV. Perhaps instead of chastising posters for not thoroughly reading, you can share some of your "expert" knowledge as to why new equipment is required.