70 Replies Latest reply: Feb 5, 2014 3:59 PM by tm1997 RSS

I want the Weather Channle Back

jenbeth5

I do not like the new Weather Nation IT ***** !!!!!

• Re: I want the Weather Channle Back
    peds48

To watch reality shows????

thewhale123

I am very upset that you dropped "TWC"... When I right clicked the "TVAPPS" and saw "Australian Open" instead of "TWC"  I WAS MAD.....  It is very important to me that I could check out the weather at the five (5) zip codes I had put in there...  These are areas where my children, grandchildren and parents live and that I drive to often and their weather was at my fingertips on the TV...  I do not want to have to check the computer and don't have one of those cell phones that have apps (I have the old flip type cell phone)...... "The Weather Nation" DOES NOT have the information that I need on a regular basis and I don't know how to get "MY LOCAL" weather on it.....  *****PLEASE GET "THE WEATHER CHANNEL " BACK****** It is very, very important to me....

rcpitts

The weather channel provided local forecast and I programmed it to show 5 zip codes

I was interested in tracking.  We used it every morning to see how our weather was

going to be.  This capability is not available on the weather nation channel.  Also I

enjoyed watching the reality type shows and now this capability isn't available.
      Please bring back The Weather Channel.  We didn't like my local cable so that was

one of the reasons we chose to switch to DirecTV.

You are talking about the Active App.  Totally different thing then the actual Weather Channel that we are talking about.  You are comparing Apples to Oranges.

There are other ways as we have already stated, to get active weather information.  I get a text message for severe weather, from our local NBC affiliate, along with from our city, who goes through Alertsense.

On my iPhone as I have mentioned before, I use Wx Alert USA for Severe weather information, along with up to the minute weather.  On my computer, I use the Weather Watcher Extension for Google Chrome.

If I need to find out what is going on while I am at work, I pull up http://www.noaa.gov.  Why have the Weather Channel, when most markets have a local station running the weather on a Sub-Channel, or you can get the info through online means.

TWC went to the grave over four years ago, when CC bought them out.  If you want to blame someone for you losing the Reality TV Weather not channel, blame it on the owners, not DirecTV.

marburg

No Broe23,

I am MOST DEFINITELY not talking about the Active App.  I don't use the Active App at all.  I am talking about what comes on my tv screen on TWC roughly every 10 minutes.

>

You cannot tell The Weather Channel what five zipcodes or towns you want.  Only their Active & TV App that we had before the change, could you do that.  That was if they were actually showing the weather, which was about one hour out of 24 during the week.  On Weekends, they never showed the weather.  It was nothing but reality TV shows.

Looking at TWC line up from now until 3:30 am, they are showing nothing but Reality TV.  From 7 pm Tomorrow, to 3:30 am Sat. Reality TV.  Saturday Morning from 5 am to 3:30 am Sunday, Reality TV.  Sunday Morning only a 1/2 hour of weather, then Reality TV from 4 am to 3 am Monday Morning.

You see a situation here, in Reality vs. Real programming.  So again, what is it that TWC is really about?  They have more hours slotted for Reality TV, then they do for Real Weather Information.  Even the so Called Real Weather, is just taped broadcasts from hours earlier in the day, with only the same graphics, that Weather Nation Shows on their Channel, with current regional weather.

I really cannot tell the difference between the two.  Other then Weather Nation actually devotes all hours of the day, to telling you what is going on around the nation with the weather.

michaellbell@sbcglobal.net

You are correct TWC did show a banner for local weather with the temperature and an abbreviated forecast for the area of the zip code entered in the DVR setup.  That has always been the case regardless of what other users have said in this discussion.  Maybe we are the only ones but that does not seem likely.  Weather Nation has announced "big" changes coming up soon; maybe they will have the same feature.  I do miss the app a little but have always used other services on the web instead.  If I have one negative comment it is TWC had too much reality programming (though I did enjoy the occasional weather related documentary).

DirecTV always claims they are negotiating for our benefit but I do not believe it.  Their prices increase every year to the point of many customers having to leave in favor of local stations or cheaper cable.  Maybe some of it is legitimate but most is due to their nearly captive audience and greed.  In addition there seems to be some collusion among competitors.

They are also very resistant to allowing us the choice of the programming we want (a la carte selection); an industry problem from the program content providers to the networks but they could make this happen if they truly cared about customers.  I am always looking for an alternative despite the fact I have been using their service since it became available for us, back in the 90s.

This forum does not necessarily get viewed by DirecTV so if you have complaints you need to call them.  I call frequently but of course I get the same patronizing reaction and "explanation" but eventually they may start listening. If you find a competitive provider which can replace DirecTV please share that information.

ATT also stated the same for U-Verse customers.  When they killed off the Hallmark channels, everyone is even complaining even now, that they want it back, after it has been off the air for over four years running.  ATT has promised better speeds, but when I called them about my area getting them, they told me that it would be a very long time, before we would ever see 45meg.

Open up both of your hands.  What is in them when you look at them?  That is what these companies do when they promise the moon and everthing.

Matter of fact, I just flipped over to WN, and they are showing weather in our region, for cities that are not considered major metros.  I am seeing also a Satellite overlay, showing incoming weather for my area.

This argument has gotten to the point, that it is showing pure hatred, why DirecTV will not carry TWC.  I am sorry, but as of now it is a done deal.  Also as what has been stated, you can use other sources to pull up the weather on the go, or while you are on your computer, or see if you have a local Sub-Channel with the Weather.

I can go to https://www.maps.google.com, use the pull-down to look at weather around the globe.  If I want more information, I can get that from http://www.weather.com, when I click on the icon for the weather icon in that city.  BTW, what is Weather.com, it is TWC.

marburg

I completely agree with you michaellbell.

>

computergeek357

No they don't after eight hours of hearing about the weather channel no one in there is listening most people hope lunch, break or the end of the day will race to us. 

ed12

You are so right the New Weather station *****.

I want to know what is going on right now in my area! I don't want to go on the computer and find out what was able to do on my TV. Weather Nation *****!!!

Maybe its time to switch.

titanic66

DO WHAT EVER YOUR HEART DESIRE, IAM GLAD THEY TOOK OFF TWC. YOU WANT TO PAY MORE LIKE $16.00 MORE FOR TWC,AND IT IS MOSTLY REALTY TV., JUST LIKE NOW THE COUNTRY MUSIC CHANNEL IS GOING TO REALTY SHOW, IN THE FUTURE. PUT THAT IN YOUR HAT. DIRECTV IS TRYING  NOT TO  CHANGE THE CUSTOMER ANY MORE PRICE INCREASE. SORRY I AM NOT BEING A SMART  ***. PUT I DO NOT WANT TO PAY MORE FOR JUST TWC. WEATHERNATION WILL GET BETTER.

HAVE A GREAT NIGHT

ARNIE RIVERHEAD NY

peds48

Well, I and everyone else, wants the real Coke, that has Sugar Cane in it, not the kind with Corn Fructose.

Personally I like Weather Nation.  At least I can flip over during a major event, and see what is going on, instead of waiting until 6 or 10 o'clock at night to find out.

If Comcast, Blackstone group, Bain Capital (Mitt Romney), had done their jobs by making what they own actually show weather, vs. reality tv.  The Weather Channel would have probably still been around.

Most likely CC, Blackstone & Bain, wanted more money out of Direct for carriage, then Direct wanted to put on the table, is why the change.

Now the good thing is, Direct gets a Fiber feed or DS5 data feed, from Weather Nation.   Vs. having to rely on Satellite like they did with the Weather Channel.

marburg

Well I can't get local weather on Weather Nation.  I could with TWC.  BRING BACK THE WEATHER CHANNEL!!!!

You could never get local weather on the Weather Channel, unless you had the local Cable Company, U-Verse, Verizon Fios.  I have never known DirecTV or Dish to ever have the local weather on TWC, in the past 20 plus years.

If you want local weather, there are plenty of smartphone apps and browser extensions.  There is also in most markets a sub-channel of one of the locals, that carries a 24 hour local weather feed.

All I use for local weather, is the Weather Watcher extension in Google Chrome, and on my iPhone Wx Alert USA, which gives me up to the minute alerts, along with the local NOAA weather radio feed where ever I may be.

Matter of fact, I am sitting here watching the local 10 pm news, with the local weatherman going over tonight and tomorrow's weather.

I am sorry, but this whole deal was not just an overnight thing.  It was seen coming almost a year ago, that there was a dispute between TWC and Direct.

marburg

Sorry but I have been getting local weather by zip code on Directv Weather Channel since before 2008.

That is if you use the Active feature, or the TV App that requires an Internet connection.  That was the only way to get local weather on DirecTV for your Zipcode.

Yes you are going to have to rely more on your local news station, or have one of the weather apps on your tablet, smartphone or browser.  Wx Alert USA is only for iOS devices, but there are still some good Weather apps for Android & Windows tablets & smartphones.

Personally for the computer, I like the Weather Watcher extension from Singer's Creations.  It gives me everything I want, and you can also switch between different cities if you wish.  It pulls the weather from weatherbug.com

But again, there really was less then you realize, that actually watched TWC.  The way providers know, is through the computer software that the boxes communicate with.  There is more metric information gathered through the DVR's and STB's then you realize.

That and the cost of carrying TWC and what they wanted to charge for their equipment and the requirements they wanted to start having Direct have local equipment for various markets, ended up really making it not cost effective for Direct to carry them anymore.

Would you rather have your costs only go up a little every six months or year, or would you love to have them go up triple then what they do with the increases, just because some provider like TWC wants it their way.

I am siding with Direct on this, that it was the right decision to make at this point, and just cut their ties with CC holdings, Bain Capital & Blackstone Group.

computergeek357

Marburg ge off TWC payroll, I hope they NEVER bring it back

marburg

computergeek357.  I do not work for TWC.  Never have never will.  I just like their weather and programming better than WeatherNation because it provides me with what I need.  So, can we please keep a civil tone to these discussions?

computergeek357

My tone is civil, I just am tired of hearing the whining.  As it's been said in ALL the places this stuff has been posted DIRECTV does not view these posts all you guys have done is open a plethora of arguments about something that NO ONE on here can or will control and I will say it again, since it has been said several times, TWC is what it is and was, the people that want it back are the minority on the issue.

I hate weather nation and will be dropping DTV if this continues.

peds48

Dont fool yourself if you think this wont happen with the other providers....

As a matter of fact, DirecTV has a better record of not letting this discussion go this far.  But sometimes DirecTV has to stand their ground and they did the right thing here.  good riddance

http://droptheweatherchannel.com

Peds48- I know you work for DirecTV and are only doing your job. Keep spreading the propaganda if you like but that doesn't change the fact that I am a long time customer and am unhappy. I will be switching my service if the weather channel does not return soon and it won't cost me a penny because my service contract is up.

peds48

Not, I am not a DirecTV employee, but I do approve of them dropping TWC....

It will be a very long time that you will have to wait.  The Weather Channel is done, over, bye-bye, good riddance, adios. Sonora, Nah-nah-nah-nah, good-bye.

• This reply has been hidden. This can happen if the message has been hidden by a moderator, or has been reported as abusive.
          computergeek357

Then drop em, I mean seriously you sit and complain and him haw around, just drop them already.  Most of the people that do work there love to hear people complain about a ******* channel, most people who work there love listening to you rant that you are too lazy to tune to your local channel.  Really? Just drop em already go to another provider and switch back later because you found out that the value isn't there, the price is just as outrageous and they offer you a lot less, and before you say I work for them i don't otherwise I would be kissing your royal kiester and saying sorry, truth is I'm not you whine too much

lexikeri

I agree 100%. I despise this weather nation garbage.

bruinsfan

Weathernation is totally useless. For those of complaining about reality shows being on 40 % of the time, lets get real. While that may be true, lets look at this....weathernation shows cities that i do not care about 99.99% of the time. Seriously....I live in NY state...I do not need to see the 5 day forecast for LA.....followed by Sacremento....followed by Las Vegas...then Salt Lake City and so on....

They have weather alerts for counties without even mentioning the state.

It looks like it was produced in the 70s.....and they have WAY more commercials than I ever saw on Weather Channel. At least with Weather Channel I could enter my zip code to see the weather at any time. No local radar anymore.

How anyone can think this is better I have no idea...all they care about is their bill did not go up 1 cent.

For those of you that like it, lets hear what is so good about it instead of just bashing weather channel.

marburg

I completely agree with you.  I live in SE Texas.  I don't need Dallas and San Antonio weather forecast.  At least with Weather Channel I could enter my zip code and it shows my forecast (not Houston or Galveston either).  And then on the 8s I get the forecast for my area.

I don't mind some of the reality shows on Weather Channel.  AND Weather Channel at least provides live broadcasts of major weather events such as the Ice storm in TX, and the Atlanta mess.  Hurricane coverage is a must for me as it gives me a better indication of whether or not I need to evacuate than even the local channels give (a lot of local channels in my area are full of weather hype and do nothing but scare people).

peds48

Are you saying that folks located hundreds if not thousands miles away from you can give you better weather coverage than your local folks?

There is something wrong with that

marburg

Yes when there is a major weather event.  The weather channel will send people out to cover the weather event live and I get more detailed info than local news which is only marginally local to me.

So do the local channels.  TWC does not have people all over the country.  What they do, is use local NBC affiliates, to have them send their Weather forecasters out in the weather.  Remember that CC owns anything NBC.  Even before CC bought out the NBC holdings, it was around the time that the Blackstone group bought up TWC, is when it went downhill.

jenbeth5

I could care less who owns The Weather chennel I just WANT IT BACK!!

You will never see it again in your lifetime.  It is gone, so live with it like everyone else.  The majority is glad that Reality TV, or as better known as what used to be called The Weather Channel, that never reported weather, just reality tv.

marburg

Actually I have seen weather channel folks in Galveston during our last hurricane.  They do send folks to major weather situations as does my "local" stations but TWC seems to forecast more accurately.  Recently one of my local stations started picking up video from TWC not the other way around.

Again, those people are from local affiliates, not from the actual TWC HQ.  We have people in our area, that are on the TWC payroll, but they work for the local tv stations, or have other jobs that they do, besides get paid by TWC to go cover severe weather damage or happenings.

The one that you see in Chicago, works for WGN.  The ones in Tx, work out of Dallas/Ft. Worth tv stations.

alohafri

I have two cell phone apps, a weather radio, and Tom Skilling on WGN. I don't need the Weather Channel and its reality shows and named winter storms.

donwmack

Simple solution. Open a window. Stick you head out.

bruinsfan

Most of us are trying to have a civil conversation here, not be rude.

So....if you don't like reality shows, don't watch them....simple. I do't watch a lot of the channels, but I am not putting down people who do. If weather channel shows weather 60% of the time, that still gives a huge edge on the weathernation which shows areas I do not care about 99.99% of the time and shows NO local weather or radar.

I can not check my local channels, as my network channels are over 100 miles away.  There are no local channels. Not all of us live in a city. The weather there is NOT the same as weather here.

I work outdoors everyday.....very convenient to check the weather on the tv. I need to know the LOCAL forecast,LOCAL radar, not the weather in California.

For those of you that have on app on your phone to check the weather.....congratulations.....mine does not, because I need a dust proof, waterproof, shatter proof phone, not a fancy phone. I actually use mine for work, not to text my friends all day.

computergeek357

Text Messaging  there follow the link we established you have internet and ANY text message capable phone (ALL of them unless the phone is from the 80's) can get 36 hour instant text alert forcast for your area and since it looks like they are going to moderate the post Weather channel will send you a 36 hour forecast to your phone VIA text

kingwr12

I too am on DirecTV's side of this. The Weather Channels video coverage has gotten less relevant to folks, primarily because of all the more up-to-date and accurate sources of weather on the Web, including TWC's own website. The only time I watch weather on TV is when there are tornadoes in the area, and I watch my local ABC station for that coverage. I think that TWC knows this, and that's why they are running so many reality shows and cutting back on the live weather coverage. But to then come to their distributors and ask for more money per subscriber?!? They want us to pay more for less?!? That is a bit out of touch with reality. Then to play the DirecTV doesn't care about subscribers safety card was downright childish and lacked any class whatsoever. Is TWC a political party now?!? Good riddance, I say (but I would like my DirecTV rate to come down a few cents).

billclements

This **** with TWC needs to stop. I have a degree in Business Marketing. It sounds like what started out as a marketing move blew up much bigger than either side thought it would. Now their both stuck in the sand and niether will give an inch or help the other no matter what the cutomers, who by the way pay your salaries, wants. DTV if you are so ****-bent on keeping WN then tell them they need to start running local break aways and constant ticker-tape for each local area it's serving. If you don't live in NY, Boston, Detroit, Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas, LA or San Francisco the info WN gives is useless. KIDS GROW UP!!!

dcd

Directv will not see your comments here, this is a user to user technical help forum.  You'll need to write, Email or call Directv if you wish your message to get through.

Sorry, but their weather info from Weathernation covers all of the nation.  If something major happens after 7 pm, they are covering it that minute.  Unlike TWC, which you had to wait for the next day, as long as it is not a weekend, for a situation in an area.

tm1997

So I have been reading these posts - and to tell you the truth I have a headache. I believe some Directv customers, Including myself - are mostly interested in just being able to turn on your TV (whether it be TWC or Weather Nation) and be able to see what the current weather conditions are in your town. If Weather Nation had an option to be part of the Active App and be able to see your local weather at a moments notice, I believe all the complaining about the TWC being gone would stop. I do have an iPhone however my husband does not and is not interested in getting one, so he does rely on the TV for the weather. It has been an adjustment not having the convenience of TWC being around, and some people are very adverse to change. I understand the term WEATHER NATION being about the Nation, but I believe 99% of the human population is really only interested in the weather where they live. - That's just my 2 cents.