13 Replies Latest reply: Mar 13, 2014 2:09 PM by shannon01 RSS

Crude Genie Wiring Schematic

wantmymtv

I'm contemplating an upgrade of my current DVR to a Genie with 2 clients, no internet or other wacky stuff.  I'm currently wired thusly:

Dish --> DVR --> TV

How would a Genie installation run?  Something like this?

Dish --> Genie DVR --> TV

|--> Client1

|--> Client2

• Re: Crude Genie Wiring Schematic
    cajazzman

Yes, exactly, but also, when upgrading to the Genini, you would also have to have the SWM installed as well. That's why when you do up grade, you should have a tech install, so that they would make sure you have everything needed to complete the installation.

peds48

like this

Dish --> Genie DVR --> TV

|--> Client1

|--> Client2

But you need SWM

Press the DASH key on yoru remote control, does the pop up message indicates "SWM: CONNECTED"?

wantmymtv

Thanks.  I'm just checking into it now and would definitely have a tech do the install.  I'm trying to determine if the extra cabling for the clients would be worth the mess.  From what I've read, those wouldn't be home runs from the dish to each client, but from some sort of "splitter" between the clients and the dish.  Is that what the SWM is?

peds48

with SWM you can use splitters.  so it can be HR from dish to clients or HR from Genie to clients

dcd

SWM stands for single wire Multiswitch, and in most installations it resides in the LNB arm of the dish.  The SWM creates eight "channels" in the coax and uses those channels to send independent signals to up to eight tuners simultaneously.  You mentioned " no internet or other wacky stuff".  Note that the connection of a Genie or other HD DVR to the Internet brings a nice package of free features that I personally use frequently.  Connection to your router is a standard part of any Genie installation.

wantmymtv

Thanks, everyone.  This gives me an idea of what to expect.  Any thoughts on the wireless clients that are supposedly in development?

peds48

I would stay with the wired clients

sat-1

Wired is always better ...at least for right now.

wantmymtv

I found a 182 page .pdf called "DirecTV_HDDVR_HR20-44.pdf" from a google search.  Page 165 shows this, if I can convey it correctly:

SWiM feed --> band stop filter --> SWiM -->Genie DVR --> TV

V

|--> Client1

|--> Client2

I assume the SWim feed is from the dish.  Am I interpreting this correctly?

Right now, I'm scheduled for the Genie upgrade next week.  However, I'm still getting conflicting information on the wireless minis.  I saw a two week old post that did not include my market as being available for the wireless clients.  As seems to happen quite often, I can't get a straight answer from customer service.  The seem to let the tech determine what is needed, which is good.  But I would think that they could tell from my account information if I was in a wireless market or not.

I blither on about this because if those new clients DO need to be wired in some fashion, I want to know ahead of time so I can get some fish tape setup in the walls and help the tech run lines when he gets here.  I want to limit the number of additional holes being bored through my exterior walls.

So, if I understand the above diagram correct, that gives me something to plan with.  Thanks again for the advice.

peds48

8 tuners or less, one cable comes from the LNB to a SWM splitter. All receiver and clients connect to that splitter.  More than 8 tuners and you need 4 cables from the LNB to a SWM16 switch. From the switch you will have to outputs that feeds 8 tuners each. Both switch and SWM LNB will require an external power supply

shannon01

The C41W and the WVB are due to be released nation wide tomorrow March 13 both weaknees.com and solidsignal.com are shipping them now. You will need one WVB for any number (solid signal says only 3 per WVB) of C41W, you can have up to 8 minis in any combination but only 3 at a time will connect to the Genie.  The WVB is connected to the SWM system with coax and the range is about 80 ft YMMV and you can have more then 1 WVB to cover the whole house if needed.

I prefer the wired option also.