10 Replies Latest reply: Jan 20, 2014 7:48 PM by broe23 RSS

local channels not avaliable

rainmanva

ok all,

heres my dilemma. i am approximately 50 miles from my local Station..and another 75 miles from another local station.

directv did offer me some networks, abc, cw and pbs but they are all out of new york, i live in virginia and would like to get something more local.

im assuming this is fcc regulations. i guess im gonna have to bite the bullet and get a over the air antenna.

• Re: local channels not avaliable
    rolls

Yea, DNS (distant network services) are only offered from either Los Angeles or New York and is based upon your time zone. Off air antenna is the only way to get your local channels if DTV doesn't offer them.

rainmanva

i hear ya. ive heard of local installers (giving fake address) but i know that's not legal. I don't wann do anything illegal.

rainmanva

here is another question, if i purchase a Over the air external antenna, can direct tv install it for me??

or no?

rolls

If I remember correctly Yes but it costs ~$99.00, but my information might be a little out of date so you might want to call them ask.

rainmanva

ok gotcha. i have a very very old antenna that is over 20 years old. im probably going to have to replace it.

Why?  Does it have broken elements on it?  If it is in good shape, and all that needs replaced is the pre-amp, rotor and coax.  That 20 year old antenna should work fine.

You can go to http://www.tvfool.com to get a map, showing the towers line of direction, to your home.  Also will give you a listing of the channels you can receive and how far they may be.

In twenty years, a lot of stations have put up repeaters after the whole Digital Changeover, due to needing to get the signals to those customers that got them before the changeover.

I have a Antenna Direct DB8 for UHF, a AntennaCraft CS-600 for a local VHF-hi channel.  The amp I am using, is a Channel Master CM-7778.  I can get stations from 80 miles away on a good night.  Normally it is those Sub-channels that Direct does not carry, that are 40 miles away, is why I put the rig up in my attic in the first place, back when I had U-Verse, before jumping ship to Direct.

dcd

This thread is based on a false assumption.  The installer CANNOT simply change the address and thus put an installation into a location where certain local channels are authorized.  The "location" of the receiver is determined by the service address on file at Directv headquarters and is the determining factor as to what local channels, if any, are available and authorized.

Just so you know, setting the ZIP code in the receiver simply sets the receiver to provide the proper dish settings for that location.

rainmanva

yes i realize that dcd. just doesn't make alot of sense why i am so close to the stations and can't get the channels except through a over the air antenna.

shannon01

Once you get the OTA you can get the AM21 OTA tuner that uses the USB port on your DTV receiver to add the OTA channels to your guide list but you may not get all the sub-channels as DTV uses a data base and they are no longer adding them to it.