21 Replies Latest reply: Mar 11, 2014 4:34 PM by bighack RSS

Program RC71 Volume

cobraguy

I have an RC71 with my Genie HR44-500.  I want the remote to control the volume on my Denon surround sound receiver.  I have gone to the on screen remote setup several times to attempt this.  I get the option to use either RF or IR.  No matter what I do there, that is all the further I get.  I never get the option to enter a code, etc.  I have done a reset of the remote, still no difference.  Every procedure I can find uses this process.  I just can't get to a place in the programming that will give me the opportunity to do more than swith to RF or IR.  Any help would be appreciated.

• Re: Program RC71 Volume
    peds48

Once you have programmed the remote to RF and press on "done" the next screen will let you program the remote to the Denon

cobraguy

That isn't what happens.  First, I need to be IR since the Denon remote is IR.  However, it doesn't matter if I set it for IR or RF...I get the same thing.  I go to settings, and remote control.  I get the option for program remote, or IR/RF setup.  Either one of these sends me to the exact same screen...for changing IR or RF.  Once I  go through the process, I click "done" and I go straight back to the main screen for program remote, IR/RF setup, copy, etc.  I never get a chance to enter a code.

peds48

You don't need to enter any codes with the RC71 and HR44 combo.  The genie will program the remote automatically, but you must be on RF first

dcd

cobraguy wrote:

First, I need to be IR since the Denon remote is IR.

These remotes realize this.  You can set the DVR for RF and the controls for the AVR or TV will still be in IR.  Again, when you set the remote to RF, only the control of the Directv receiver or DVR is affected.

cobraguy

I don't think everyone understands what is happening.

First, I will program the remote for RF since you are saying the remote will still send an IR signal as well for the Denon receiver.  But once I program for either RF or IR, then click 'done', that is all the further I get.  I never get to a screen that will allow me to do anything as far as programming the remote for my Denon receiver.  There has to be some sort of code you enter somewhere in the process that will allow the volume button on the remote to control the volume on the Denon receiver.  The Directv universal remote I was using with the old satellite box did this perfectly.  I would just use the old remote with the new box if I had it...but the installation guy took it with him when he replaced my box and I can't get anyone at Directv to give me the contact information so I can get it back.  But I digress...

Any other suggestions folks?

capnp72

I also have a Denon receiver with a HR-44.  This is what I would do if I were you.  Reset the remote then go to program remote.  Select 'RF' then select continue.  The next screen shows instructions to program remote.  Once you perform those steps, it should function as you desire.  I assume you have the HR-44, blue-ray/dvd and any other components connected to the receiver and only the receiver connected to the TV.  All of my connections are HDMI.  I hope this helps.

peds48

as I said, you dont need to enter any codes, everything is done by the receiver.  the receiver sends the code to the remote.  Right after you finished programming the code for the TV, the next screen has an option to program an audio device

cobraguy

Peds48…you are not understanding what is going on.  I want the remote to control the volume on the Denon receiver.  The Denon receiver does NOT send anything back to the remote.  Nada.  It does not send anything nor does it have the capability to do so.  You must enter a code into the remote so that it can send a signal the Denon receiver recognizes to control the volume.

Capnp72, I have been trying like crazy to get to the point you suggest.  I reset the remote, then I set to RF.  Once I enter the code for RF (981…961…something like that) then hit the channel down button…then hit done.  It goes back to the screen where I can program for RF/IR, reset the remote, etc.  I never get the chance to program anything for a Denon…or anything else for that matter.  If I click on program remote after setting for RF, it goes straight to the IR/RF screen again.  It keeps ‘looping’ and I never get to enter a code for Denon.

capnp72
                Once you complete the steps to enter the code for RF and hit done, the remote should work for the volume of the receiver if you have everything connected like I said.  Do you have sound coming from the TV?  If so, what TV do you have?  All of my sound comes from my speakers connected to my Denon receiver not the TV.
                  cobraguy

I have everything going through the Denon receiver.  Satellite, DVD, etc.  The only thing running to the HD TV is a HDMI cable…and the volume on the TV is never used.  Only the volume on the Denon…which is 7.1 Surround Sound.  I have never been able to get to a screen in the remote programming that will allow me to enter a code for Denon…and it does not control it now. 

You wrote:  “The next screen shows instructions to program remote.”  That is the problem I’m having…I am never able to get to that “next screen” that will allow me to program for the Denon.

capnp72
                    I reset my remote and I ended up calling DirecTv but we were able to get it reprogrammed.  Hold the mute and select button simultaneously until the green light at the top of the remote flashes twice.  Enter 987 and you should see another green flash.  This should clear any codes that are programmed. Then go to the menu and attempt to program the remote again and you should be enter the tv model.  Once you enter the tv model, it'll give you the option to enter the receiver model.
                      peds48

I've have said this a few times on this thread as well

cobraguy

Peds48 and dcd…again…I could never get to the screen to get to where the satellite receiver does its thing.  And since I was talking about a Denon receiver, how can you blame me for misinterpreting your meaning of ‘receiver’? 

However, capnp72, you have me as close as I’ve ever been.  This time, the reset let me move forward from the IR/RF screen and allowed me to actually program the remote.  But now I have a different issue.  It has me setup the TV first…which I did.  Then it goes to the audio device (Denon in my case)…which it also did.  However, the remote now controls the volume on the tv instead of the Denon receiver.  So I can now program, but I need to get it to control the volume on the Denon instead of the TV.  I even programmed a Denon TV hoping it would send an acceptable code to the Denon receiver…but no luck.  How do I get it to program the volume for the Denon receiver?

I’m really not trying to be a hard *** about this…but some of you didn’t understand that I could never get to the screen where you thought I should be.

dcd

cobraguy wrote:

Peds48…you are not understanding what is going on.  I want the remote to control the volume on the Denon receiver.  The Denon receiver does NOT send anything back to the remote.  Nada.  It does not send anything nor does it have the capability to do so.  You must enter a code into the remote so that it can send a signal the Denon receiver recognizes to control the volume.

Peds48 is an expert at these things and he does in fact know exactly what is going on.  You are apparently unaware that the HR44 and RC71 operates differently from other remotes you've dealt with.  Rather than you inputting the codes for your Denon, you tell the HR44 what it is you wish to do and the HR44 sends the proper codes to the RC71.  So, it is not the Denon receiver sending the code, it is the HR44 Genie.  You won't even see the codes, but you do need to follow the on screen instructions.  Note that the absence of the slide switch is made up by the ability of the Genie to enter the proper code in the proper location.  I'd guess that now you understand the sequence, you'll pop right through the setup.

peds48

I understood 100%.  you are the one that does not get it.  when I said "receiver" I meant HR44

bighack

Try some FRESH batteries! This may sound really strange. But I just got an HR44/500 and the RC71 remote and, being the geek I am, put my eneloop batteries from my old Tivo remote into the RC71. Nothing worked to pair with the Genie even though if I hold the up arrow, the light is solid green. You know what's coming... I put the batteries that came with the remote into the remote in a moment of desperation. Everything on the Remote Control Setup screen worked perfectly after that (mute+select, green double light, 961, green double light, channel up, GREEN (this was red with the other batteries), then the RC was paired). After the remote paired with the Genie it asked what kind of TV I had etc etc. I put some fresh eneloop batteries in and all is well so far. All settings have been retained. The TV and sound bar that I use works great.

I could reset the remote and put the old eneloops back in but I spent two too many hours on this stupid pairing problem already. Hope this helps.