33 Replies Latest reply: Mar 10, 2014 2:53 AM by dtvuser2013 RSS

intermitted problem with genie mini

lcnewyork82

have dtv installed, 1 1/2 weeks to 2 weeks ago no issues. now my tvs in 3 different rooms with the genie mini's signal comes in then goes out, comes in goes out, then says no server detected then comes on for a few min but had rewind the current show i was watching by like 10-15 sec. then problem starts again. my main genie in LR works perfectly fine. any ideas

• Re: intermitted problem with genie mini
    litzdog911

First thing to try is resetting your Genie DVR (red button behind front panel access card door), and all of your Genie Clients.  See if that helps.

lcnewyork82

have dtv installed, 1 1/2 weeks to 2 weeks ago no issues. now my tvs in 3 different rooms with the genie mini's signal comes in then goes out, comes in goes out, then says no server detected then comes on for a few min but had rewind the current show i was watching by like 10-15 sec. then problem starts again. my main genie in LR works perfectly fine. tech finally came out and said i think by switching this wire it will help, did that and said have a good day. when i came back home from work and started to try to watch tv about 20 mins in problem happen again and again. brand new home new wire everything brand new. i think its the main genie since all the mini genies are i guess powered by it

any thoughts???

i tried everything. reset with red button on all boxes, system refresh, unplug and replug

?????

litzdog911

You'll get some advice here.  But in the mean time, be sure to call DirecTV and request that they send a more experienced technician to fix this while you're still covered by 90-day warranty.

noline

Have you checked the connections at the splitter.  Don't remove any of the wires because in most cases it actually matters what line is plugged into certain ports. Just make sure the connections are snug. Aslo, check the wall plates that connects the genie.  The barrel on the wall plate may not be suitable for the SWM frequencies.  So it may work and then sporatically stop working.

markpriorr22

I'm having same issue.  I got DTV hooked up last Friday.  By Saturday morning, the three clients weren't working.  Neither the blue light or network light comes on.  Tried resetting...nothing.  Had a tech come out yesterday afternoon and when he got here, all was working just fine.  Was working fine earlier today but now the TV in the kitchen won't work.  I read somewhere that DTV clients work much better with component cables than HDMI.  Is that true.  Is it something worth trying or am I wasting my time?

lcnewyork82

ok dtv tech arrives today, looked at everything says connections and barrels are not approved for dtv hook up. says tech who installed should of known that. he changed all connection and barrels made sure all connections are tight and good. said i wouldn't have a problem after he's done. well got everything wired up turned on and i hear tvs on in rooms went to check and i was yes no issues, then one tv went blank then came back on right away. but stayed on tech didn't even stay around to make sure everything was ok. i left tvs on and took off for a hour came back tvs screens all blank but the tv where main genie is at. what now?????

giaimo13

Had the same problem just after initial install. Tech had used existing barrel connectors in wall plate jacks, which were of sufficient quality for CATV signaling but not for DTV/Genie. He replaced all the wall plate connectors in use (4 of them) and the problem was solved.  About a week later, had issues with "Server Not Found" from one room. Same tech came back, and when we removed the Genie head unit from the surge protector and plugged it directly into its own wall outlet, that problem also was resolved. That was over a year ago. Occasionally if I lose signal during a bad storm I have to do a red-button reset, but otherwise it works flawlessly and is the best TV solution I've ever had in 50 years of watching TV!

Good luck with your issue.

giaimo13

Had the same problem just after initial install. Tech had used existing barrel connectors in wall plate jacks, which were of sufficient quality for CATV signaling but not for DTV/Genie. He replaced all the wall plate connectors in use (4 of them) and the problem was solved.  About a week later, had issues with "Server Not Found" from one room. Same tech came back, and when we removed the Genie head unit from the surge protector and plugged it directly into its own wall outlet, that problem also was resolved. That was over a year ago. Occasionally if I lose signal during a bad storm I have to do a red-button reset, but otherwise it works flawlessly and is the best TV solution I've ever had in 50 years of watching TV!

Good luck with your issue.

peds48

any barrel will work

giaimo13

The ones that were previously installed in my home were standard builder

grade CATV barrels - dirt cheap. The installer showed me the ones he

replaced them with, which were obviously more robust looking, and also had

a different letter/number designation, though specifically what they read

had slipped my mind.

Sent from my iPhone

peds48

As I said, any barrel will work

giaimo13

Clearly that cannot be accurate, else why would my installer (and others)

have changed out particular barrels for others - and in so doing, resolved

problems?  Can you point to an industry standard (like perhaps an IEEE

designation of a standard ) that would back up what you're saying?

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone

vegeta

peds48 wrote:

As I said, any barrel will work

The barrels used during initial house construction and the same ones electricians use are only rated 1.5Ghz and 1.5 Volts, we are now pushing 2 Ghz and up to 29 volts through our system, make sure you use barrels that are rated for the job...there is a difference.  The Ghz rating doesn't really matter that much, but the voltage does, those barrels do wear out extremely fast with the new Genie system.  Usually the MRV starts to go out, then the Minis will go to a Black or Grey Screen with no programming before the server stops being able to be seen.  I have seen this happen anywhere from an hour after install to a few months after install, but I prefer to replace everything pre-existing if possible just to make sure nothing is wrong with the old cable like staples, previous electrical feedback like lightning, etc...

This is like using a 5 AMP fuse when you need a 30 AMP, it may work for a while but eventually it will go out.