14 Replies Latest reply: Feb 7, 2014 4:55 AM by dcd RSS

Hide recorded content in playlist?

techwrench

Is there a way to hide recorded content on DVR playlist, or set up different playlists that are separate from each other to prevent one person from erasing content from another list?

• Re: Hide recorded content in playlist?
    rolls

You can set the DVR to not share its playlist with other receivers in the home.

To Do So: Press Menu on your remote, then to go settings & help, then go to settings, then select Whole-Home, then choose share playlist, then change "Share Playlist" to either Yes or No (Or if you want to just not allow other people to delete recordings off your playlist, select allow deletion from and change it to what you want).

Hope that helps!

peds48

what model of receiver do you have. look for the model number inside the access card door..

techwrench

I have one HD DVR, a HR44, on the main living room TV, and two Genie Mini's for two other TV's in other rooms.  This morning, my DW was watching one of her recorded programs on the TV in the kitchen (on a Mini), and when done accidently deleted one of my recorded shows from the playlist instead of hers when she was done.  (Love her dearly, but she is 'challenged' when it comes to technical stuff ;-)  )  It would be nice if there was a way to set up two different playlists, one for her, and one for me, that could be accessed from any TV on the system.  I don't want to restrict her from watching any of her shows on either of the two downstairs TV's, just not be able to delete any of my shows.  If that makes sense to you.

Thanks for the quick reply,

dcd

You can set the Genie so it's recordings can only be deleted from the Genie itself.

rolls

Best solution is what dcd has mentioned, To do so, Press Menu > Settings and Help > Settings > Whole Home > Share Playlist > Change the option Allow Deletion From, change that option to what suits your needs best.

peds48

Not quite.  that only applies to other WHDVR receivers and not to the Genie minis.  Genie mini are an extension to the Genie so no functionality exits

dcd

Indeed.  It appears that what the original poster really needs is a HD DVR "assigned" specifically to the significant other.  That way each could watch each others programs but would not be able to schedule or delete anything (assuming the Genie and DVR were properly setup)

techwrench

After looking into all the suggestions, it would appear that adding a 2nd DVR to the system is the only way to somewhat address the issue.  Not sure I want to spring for the additional monthly cost for 2nd DVR ATT.  For now, I will have to try to get her to be more careful with her 'magic' fingers..............

Maybe, in the future, custom playlists for different family members could be an added feature DirecTV could add to its system?

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

dcd

techwrench wrote:

After looking into all the suggestions, it would appear that adding a 2nd DVR to the system is the only way to somewhat address the issue.  Not sure I want to spring for the additional monthly cost for 2nd DVR ATT.  For now, I will have to try to get her to be more careful with her 'magic' fingers..............

Let's see:  Scenario #1:  Darn it woman, I wish you would learn to handle MY DVR properly.

Scenario #2:  Look Honey, I got you YOUR own personal DVR which you can manage any way you choose.

I'll leave it to others as to which scenario is cheaper in the long run.

rolls

Then i misunderstood how the mini's worked with the genie, from the agent I had spoken to who gave me all the info about the genie's and mini's, i had thought you could still change where you can delete recordings from even if it concerns the genie and mini genie setup. I stand corrected.

peds48

besides any one time fee to get the HDDVR, there is no additional fees monthly for having an HDDVR.

techwrench

I guess I must have misunderstood the sales rep when I initially ordered the system.  I thought there was a separate, monthly fee for each DVR in the system, in addition to the up front cost for the device.  So how would that work?  If I added a 2nd HD DVR for the upstairs TV, would it replace the Mini I currently use to access the main Genie downstairs through the Whole House system?  Or would I need to have two Genie's linked together?

peds48

Well, there is a monthly fee for the HDDVR which is the same as the mini Genie which is $6.00.  since you already have an Genie, that means you are already paying for the HD, DVR and WHDVR fees, so having a mini or DVR coat the same a month.

Regarding functionality, basically you would have one unified playlist if you so choose to, or you can have each DVR to display its local playlist

rolls

Yea like Peds said, you are only charged for HD service once a month, even if you have 50 HD receivers, same applies to DVR service and Whole home DVR service, you only get charged for those once every month (Depending on when you started your account it might be called Advanced receiver, which is all the above mentioned services rolled into one charge monthly). The only thing that will change is that you will get an additional TV charge for $6, which you get charged, for every receiver outside of your 1st one, (Ex if you have 5 HD DVRS in your home, you would be charged for HD service & DVR service, then you would see 4 additional TV fee's, each for $6 monthly).