6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2014 4:24 AM by dcd RSS

Using Genie and HR24 together

rickeames

Hi there -- right now our setup is that we have a Genie down in our family room that feeds two mini's; one is in our bedroom and one is in the bonus room.  The family room and bonus are under parental control, while the master is not.  The issue is that BLOCKED TITLE is coming up in the playlist.  Someone suggested to me that a way around this was to replace the mini that is in our bedroom with an HR24 and just not share that playlist with the house.  Then the kids can have their DVR playlist, and we can have different shows recorded up in the master that don't pollute the rest of the house.

However, I read that if you plug ethernet into the HR24, you disable the ability to read the playlist from the Genie?  Why?  They will both be hardwired through a switch on the same network.  Or am I going to be forced to have to use the cinema kit as well, which I never had good results with in the past.

Looking for some advice here -- thanks a bunch.

• Re: Using Genie and HR24 together
    capnp72

You should be able to connect the HR24 with a DECA and be able to see the playlist for the genie.

peds48

the DirecTV only needs on point to "insert" the internet.  you can insert the internet by adding a DECA (either wireless or hard wired) or by connecting the Genie to your network.  The Genie can be used as a CCK

shannon01

You can also give the kids the HR24 and parental block it and select not to share the playlist and move the kids mini to your bedroom, the second mini will still see the playlist.

dcd

rickeames wrote:

However, I read that if you plug ethernet into the HR24, you disable the ability to read the playlist from the Genie?  Why?

When you have a Whole Home DVR setup like you do, the system uses the circuitry in the HR24 that would normally be used when and Ethernet cable is attached to stream programming between the Genie and the HR24.  If you connect an Ethernet cable to the HR24, it will "take over" that circuitry and thus disable Whole Home.

The good news is that if the Genie is connected to your router and the Internet, then the HR24 will pick up that connection as well via the coax connected to the back.