11 Replies Latest reply: Mar 9, 2014 10:40 AM by bindertch RSS

PassPhrase on Genie

lw2

I am attempting to get my TV hooked up to Wi-Fi. The Genie is asking for the Passphrase. What is that? I thought I needed the 10 digit WEP code.  I have ATT U-Verse.  My other wireless devices have accepted the 10 digit code, but not the Genie.  Please help!

• Re: PassPhrase on Genie
    capnp72

The passphrase is the security code used for your router.  I think you need to use WPA or WPA2 for the genie.  I don't think it's compatible with WEP.

lw2

Pardon my ignorance, but is the security code on the router or am I supposed to make one up on the computer?  I just have never had to use it before. I have always used the WEP code.  Thanks for your help!

rolls

If you use the 10 digit wep code normally to connect to your wifi, then use that, the wording may be different, but all it wants is the password you use to connect to your wifi.

lw2

I attempted to use the 10 digit wep code, but it would not accept it.  Any other ideas to try?

peds48

When entering security keys, if you see the 2nd field appear on the setup screen that shows 'key # (1-4)' then the router is using WEP and only hexidecimal security codes may be entered.  You can use www.wepkey.com to covert a passphrase to it's hexidecimal equivalent.  

capnp72

I think you have change the security for your router from WEP to WPA or WPA2.  Go to your router admin page then go to security and change the type.

dcd

And, make sure the pass phrase is all alpha numeric, no special characters, just letters and/or numbers.

montanaron

That's sad to hear. I realize that the passphrase entry is via the remote, and that when you press (for instance) the [4] key, you can get only 4, plus upper or lower-case g, h, and i, but seriously. This frustrating. The rest of the WiFi industry has a live screen that shows the various character sets to choose from, including special characters. Reference any smartphone or video game system. They don't have full computer keyboards either, but you can use their on-screen keyboard just fine. DirecTV, being the leader in the satellite tv industry, should have no problem following suit.

peds48

What is the point here???

montanaron

I'm only saying that DirecTV, in implementing its interface to wireless

networks, should have taken a moment longer and found a way to support the

entire printable ASCII character set, and not just the "easy ones" that are

derivatives of the telephone keypad-based character set.

Sure, customers can go back and change their wireless password to one that

has only numbers and letters, but they should not have to.

bindertch

Special characters can be entered using the dash ( - ) button at the bottom left on the remote.