43 Replies Latest reply: Jun 6, 2014 6:48 PM by dte20 RSS

Directv Everywhere Except In Home (wifi channels)

pollyhouston

My Directv Everywhere live streaming of wifi channels (in home) does not work.

My receiver HR 24-500 is connected to the internet, as are the other 3 which are all H25-100.  I am able to see and control them using both my iPad and iPhone. They are all "green lights".   I am also able to stream wifi+ channels inside and outside of my home.  Wifi channels are unable to stream and the "Watch on iPad/iPhone" buttons are grayed out.  I am also unable to stream wifi channels on my computer using any browser - Safari, Firefox or Google Chrome.  I keep receiving the message that the receiver and my device must be on the same network which they clearly are.

I, like many others, have spent hours trying to get some satisfaction for this problem.  I have called and emailed many times and have not received any help.  Is this a known issue?  Some CSRs indicate that it is, but others tell me they have never heard of such a thing.

Can anyone please help?

Thank you.

Polly

• Re: Directv Everywhere Except In Home (wifi channels)
    dcd

I cannot tell you exactly what your problem is but basically I'd say the system does not see your playback devices are recognizing that they are on the same network as your Directv DVR.  Here is why I say that.  In a properly configured and running system, if you are "at home" and select the Wi-Fix the system will tell you that you are on the same network as your DVR and you should use the Wi-Fi option.  The fact that you can use the x option tells us that the playback device is not seeing your home network.  Something really obvious but are you positive you have the Wi-Fi enabled and 4G disabled?

Have you a desktop computer?  If so, open the Directv website and be sure you have the player installed.  Then select watch TV and open the Guide.  In the upper right corner is a Stream at Home/Stream Everywhere.  If you are at home if you select everywhere you'll see the message I described earlier.  Playing with that feature a bit may assist you in correcting your mobile device problems.

pollyhouston

You are absolutely correct.  That is my problem I am trying to describe.  DTV does not recognize the home network even though it is connected to it..  My computer will not stream the wifi channels either, no matter what browser I use. 

I am positive that everything is connected by wifi to my home network.  We only have one network in our home.  Both the iPad and iPhone show that I am "in home" and that the receivers are on the home network. 

Again, no device will stream wifi channels including 3 iPads, 2 iPhones, 2 desktop computers and 1 laptop.  Arrgghhh!

I will try any suggestions.

Thanks.

dtvbob

Wifi+ ok, but not wifi channels?

Same problem here as I mentioned in another thread.

If your systems work over your wifi network with the wifi+ channels then there is nothing wrong with your network setup.

Waiting for a solution for over 3 months!

dtvbob

dtvbob

One more VERY important detail to all of this at least for me.

This Directv app on my phone DID stream wifi channels last summer.  It was about Oct-Nov when dtv updated their app that is then stopped streaming those channels.

This tells me that there is something that changed in the app that now does not allow me to stream those same channels that did last summer.

No changes to the network.

So, I am still pointing the finger at dtv to solve this issue.

I requested they send me a version from August to see if it would work, but "oh no..can't do that".  Why?

What better way to find out at which ver. upgrade it stopped working so it could be isolated to see what they did.

dtvbob

pollyhouston

I think that we obviously have the same problem.  I have been struggling with it for several months as well. 

The DTV apps used to stream the wifi channels as did my computer and my laptop.  They have all stopped streaming those channels.  No changes have been made to the network.

Netflix, Amazon Instant and Hulu Plus all stream very well.  I wish we had an unupdated version of the app to try. 

I guess that we can either choose to wait for a response or to change providers.  I will keep watching your thread!

ilinville

No resolution Here but thought I'd comment. I also have the same problem : (iPhone 4S: iOS 7 ) DirecTv App connected to same network DVR is connected.

Troubleshooting I've done:

Deleted App, reset DVR, Reset iPhone, installed App, turned off cellular data, logged out and in of Directv App,

open Safari navigate to a website then try App again,toggle airplane mode on and off,  toggled between wifi networks in my home.

I've tried this in every and any combination and it works maybe 10% of the time.

I really wished the feature worked. I know it sees the DVR because usually the iPhone live streaming option is grey (says it has to be connects to same wifi) but the

watch on TV option is always available.

I'm following your thread so if I hear anything I'll post.

uncelnino

I have absolutely no idea if this is relevant to your problem, but do you have your DVR hardwired to your network as well as connecting wirelessly? I had a similar problem with a different device and disconnecting the hard wired connection seemed to resolve whatever conflict that was causing the problem.

dtvbob

I am wondering if a specific APP that is on your phone, tablet, etc. as well as being on my phone may be the cause.

What about:  Antivirus app, ie Norton mobile?

Something common to us that is causing this network interference and not allowing the streaming.

Of course if it allows wifi+ then why not wifi?

And why did the app work in the past and only stopped once a dtv update was installed?

ugh,

dtvbob

pollyhouston

Interesting idea.  I do not have Norton on my phone.  What about iCloud?

Whatever we have in common might conflict with something in the upgrade. 

Of course it doesn't work on my computer either though.

Ugh is right!

peds48

"WiFi+" only channels can be stream anywhere (outside and inside your network) so they are "open" (for a lack of a better word) "WiFi" only channels can only be stream once you are in YOUR network the website will look for an HDDVR connected to the network to determine which channels will allow to stream

pollyhouston

I am able to stream the wifi+ channels inside and outside of my home.  I am unable to stream the wifi only channels anywhere; although the receiver connected to my network is seen and is able to be controlled.

Thanks!

dtvbob

Both my wifi and wifi+ channels are being streamed over my wifi network via the internet.

I can stream wifi+ everywhere.

Polly,

Look at your apps and see if there is one that you use on both the phone and tablet...one that is common.

I posted in the Samsung GS4 forum on Android Central and no response.

Others with iphones work ok, so why some are not?

I have checked wifi networking on my phone multiple times.

dtvbob

I had a notion that perhaps it might be my networking equipment, ie router, bridge.

So, I replaced my router and bridge with latest and greatest from Cisco....same problem.

I do have another similar problem with TechSmith's "Fuse" app that transfers photos and videos wirelessly to TechSmith SnagIt.  I can transfer photos to SnagIt but not videos...says could not reach my SnagIt check network settings.  I suspect the same reason the Directv app is not allowing wifi channels perhaps.  Very odd stuff.

pollyhouston

I looked at my apps, but I have no clue which ones could cause this conflict.  Then I thought about the 2 computers and 1 laptop that won't stream wifi either.  They do not have the apps at all. 

Aarrgggghhhh!

dtvbob

I believe we do have one common item......... an HR24 receiver.

Is it the -500 model?

Mine is a HR24-500 model.

Must be a lot of folks with these receivers however.

peds..........It is NOT working as it should.  We both cannot stream wifi over our local home networks.  They should.

peds48

my response was not to you, but to pollyhouston, his/hers is working as it should

dtvbob

Yes, I understand as mine works the same.

Both of ours work on wifi+, but not at home wifi on wifi channels.  ie they do not work.

Hope that helps your understanding of our similar problem.

pollyhouston

Yes!

Our problems seem to be the exact same.  Now, if we could just find the

solution.

uncelnino

I haven't quite been able to wrap my head around all the variables involved

amongst different phones, carriers, home networking setups, and the

seemingly infinite "tweeks" that can be implemented as attempts to fix this

problem.  Everyone seemingly has a fully functional network set up at their

home and furthermore there doesn't seem to be a distinction between

wireless or wired configurations.  Given that the mobile app was not

encountering this issue in prior versions I am suspicious that there has

been a conflict/error/glitch that may be related to changes in

transcoding/streaming protocols that were put in place to improve security

or accessibility issues with the implementation of the wifi and wifi+

option. If my suspicion holds any water it is certainly an ironic outcome.

My suspicions are based on a long series of issues and troubleshooting

attempts to get the Plex home media application setup and compatible with

my home theater, pc, tablet, and phone at home and on an outside or

cellular network.  The complexity of the different file types and variables

that result from media content designed for completely independent

scenarios necessitates the need for an ability to create a standard for

compatibilty and consistency.  The end result of which is a seemingly

endless series of updates addressing the initial issues and those created

anew.  This has gotten ridiculously long and possibly nothing more than

irrelevant rambling.  To sum up this novelesque reply I believe an update

related to the separate features for wifi and wifi+ has caused a

compatibility issue specific to the mobile-wifi-home network scenario. It

seems that the issue would need to be resolved at a developer/programmer

level via code as there was clearly an exhaustive effort made to resolve it

otherwise.

On Mar 5, 2014 6:22 PM, "pollyhouston" <directv-admin@forums.directv.com>

pollyhouston

Mine really isn¹t working correctly.  I cannot stream wifi channels over my

home network.

pollyhouston

Yes, mine is the HR24-500 model.

Yes, they should be able to stream wifi over our local home networks!

pollyhouston

My computer suddenly started streaming all channels this morning.  I have no idea if it will continue, but it is currently fine.

However, the iPhone and iPads apps still do not stream the wifi only channels at home.

pollyhouston

Good news!  I think my problem is solved.  To recap, my iPads and iPhones could see and control my receiver, but were unable to stream live at home WIFI programs because "they were not in the same network as the receiver."   My issue turned out to be a naming problem with some of our network pieces.  Here are the specifics for those that want them:

My WIFI network consists of the main router (Apple Airport Extreme Base Station) and three Apple Airport Expresses that extend the network throughout our home.  The name of our network is alphanumeric with no special characters.  The AEBS router has the same name as the network (alphanumeric).  The AE names were all unique (express 1, express 2 and express 3).  As I searched the Apple forums for conflicts with Directv, I noticed that the naming issue for the network was mentioned again and again.  The network name must be alphanumeric only, which ours was.  It then dawned on me that even though our network name met the naming convention, some of our hardware pieces (the AEs) did not although they merely extended the correctly named network.  I removed the spaces in the names of the Airport Expresses, uninstalled the apps, performed hard resets on my devices and reinstalled the apps.  Success on all platforms!

dtvbob, take a look at every named piece in your network. Our problems were so similar.  I hope you might find some odd character that is not alphanumeric thrown into your mix.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help.  This was such a weird fix for a very frustrating problem.

peds48

What issue?