5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 29, 2014 4:36 PM by peds48 RSS

picture flickering in and out of focus

raven628

I have a 43" Samsung 720p Plasma and I'm trying to find out how I can get the best picture on my tv. When I change the format to 1080i, the picture is very sharp for the most part, however there are moments when it flickers in and out of focus, particularly in the lighter, more detailed areas. Is there a way I can have it set to 1080i and have a perfect picture?

• Re: picture flickering in and out of focus
    peds48

well for starters since you have a 720p TV, why are you feeding it 1080i?  if you have a 720p show, the receiver is up-converting to 1080i, then you TV is down-converting it to 720p.  every thme there is scaling, is a chance to insert artifacts to the picture.  Best to leave the receiver on 720p

raven628

I'm brand new to hd tvs and wasn't aware of the upscaling. I just assumed setting it to the highest resolution would be the best. I'm also wondering about native on vs off, and do I need to have all the resolution options checked or does it not matter?

peds48

The first thing you need to know is native resolution.  All TVs have a native resolution, what this means is that all content is display on this resolution.  is your case is 720p.

Native ON vs OFF is basically useless unless you know for sure that either your TV or an external scaler is better than then one built in to the DirecTV receiver. 

Having native ON, it passes the resolution of the show "un touched" to the TV, then the TV up or down scales it as necessary for is native resolution.  this comes with a "price' as every time there is a change in resolution and if you are using HDMI, the TV to re-sync causing slower channel changes.

Native OFF means that the DirecTV receiver will either UP or down convert according to the resolution chosen by you and output only that resolution