11 Replies Latest reply: Apr 3, 2014 6:21 AM by peds48 RSS

Can the HD-DVR HR23-700 be controlled by the Genie?

ipenguin02

Kind of like the Genie mini can control the Genie and vice versa? For instance i can control what is recorded/deleted on the HR-700 from the Genie and vice versa?

Would the non DVR receivers be able to see recordings? And would Non DVRs be able to pick what to record on the Genie using whole home DVR?

My setup 1 Genie, 3 Genie minis, 1 HD DVR HR23-700, 2 HD HR23-600. I'm not sure what rooms to put them in, but if they all can record using Whole Room then it shouldn't matter, any suggestions? From my understanding only 3 minis can be used at a time

• Re: Can the HD-DVR HR23-700 be controlled by the Genie?
    shannon01

No the HR23 is independent and can record programs on its own and you will need to delete them from there also, it will play whatever is in the playlist as do the Genie and minis.  You can however stop a recording on the Genie or the HR23 and restart it from the same place from any other receiver.

dcd

ipenguin02 wrote:

Kind of like the Genie mini can control the Genie and vice versa? For instance i can control what is recorded/deleted on the HR-700 from the Genie and vice versa?

Would the non DVR receivers be able to see recordings? And would Non DVRs be able to pick what to record on the Genie using whole home DVR?

My setup 1 Genie, 3 Genie minis, 1 HD DVR HR23-700, 2 HD HR23-600. I'm not sure what rooms to put them in, but if they all can record using Whole Room then it shouldn't matter, any suggestions? From my understanding only 3 minis can be used at a time

For starters, are all of the model numbers you posted correct?  You mention non DVR's and then list only numbers that are DVR's (HR23).  In a Whole Home DVR system, all HD boxes can share recordings between each other.  As to management, adding or deleting programs for example, the HD DVR's must be "managed" from their own location.  In our house we make keeping track of what program is recorded on which DVR a bit easier by "assigning" each box to a particular family member.  Each individual can watch anything they like, but recording, deleting etc. on each individual box is only on their assigned location.

cajazzman

dcd, agree. I have the HR23-700 and also the HR-44 Genie, and it's so great to be able to record 7 shows at once, even though we've never had too. But, recording, has to be done by each receiver. But, you can delete the recordings from either receiver. Since, having this setup, we hardly ever go under 75% free space. Just great, to tell those others, such as Dish, and Xfinity, how much better,Directv is compared to theirs.

ipenguin02

I get that my situation regarding the genie and all 3 minis in use is a highly unlikely situation, but i just want to know the capabilities. That being said, again, since there's 5 tuners on the genie, if the genie and 3 minis are watching live TV and/or viewing recording would that mean i am only able to record 1 show on the genie since 4 tuners are in use?