18 Replies Latest reply: May 21, 2014 7:07 PM by peds48 RSS

Sportsnet LA

omegafortex

Quick question, if you are offering internet through Time Warner Cable, but they are taking a hardline approach to negotiations that would enable the Dodgers fan base to watch their team through Sportsnet LA, then why not threaten to void or stall your contract with Time Warner Cable that allows the sale of their internet services through DirectTV? If they refuse to carry a channel in order to manipulate customers in order to sway those customers to their side, why not cancel the business of spreading their product through DirectTV as a means of negotiation so this entire fiasco can end already?

• Re: Sportsnet LA
    peds48

Who told you DirecTV was offering internet through TWC?

omegafortex

When I was setting up my service I was offered a home internet, phone, and television package through DirecTV that used TWC internet and phone in addition to DTV television. Additionally, while I was speaking to a customer service representative today, he said a package that offers TWC internet and phone with DTV television does exist and is one of the more popular options offered.

shannon01

DTV bundles the internet, phone packages but it doesn't provide the internet or phone service that is what TWC does.

omegafortex

I think you're following what I'm saying. DirecTV provides the television, but at the same time there is an offer through DirecTV (which I was offered many times by the various people I talked to when setting up DirecTV) to bundle their television with TWC internet and phone.

shannon01

While DTV can refuse to bundle with TWC it probably wouldn't bother TWC as they maybe merging with Comcast to improve their subscriber base

omegafortex

Merging with Comcast at most brings the amount of people with SportsnetLA to 45% of people who actually want the channel. For example, where I live and for quite a wide radius surrounding that area there is not a single person who has Comcast. So, all those people that have TWC that are switching to Comcast soon doesn't really increase the adoption rate for Sportsnet LA since not many people have Comcast to begin with and the TWC people switching to Comcast already have Sportsnet LA. To respond to the "TWC not caring about losing any prospective customers over the internet thing", most people I know are switching from TWC to DTV because DTV has better service (I would know; I switched from TWC), so the internet and phone being offered is a chance for TWC to keep some customers that are switching. So yes, I do think that losing the offer to bundle their home and phone through DTV for a special rate would bother them.

shannon01

Doesn't matter if they watch or not all TWC/Comcast subscribers are paying for it as is DTV subscribers with the RNS fee

donsloper

Thank you to Direct TV for standing up from the exorbitant demands from the Dodgers. As we've shown the NFL, they need Los Angeles, more than we need them. My kids played soccer and have little interest in baseball (which can be so boring) and just a little in football.

leecampbell

Because the 2 companies didn't ever set up a means of communication when a billing problem happens, NOBODY SHOULD EVER BUNDLE! AT&T (a terrible company for service) is gobbling up DirecTV (a fine company for customer service). IS THERE ANY WAY WE CAN STOP IT?