6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 13, 2014 11:53 AM by wa6yyj RSS

Early AM outgoing phone calls to Directv's modem.

wa6yyj

Just looked at my Verizon phone bill to look up another number that had been called and I found many many many outgoing calls to Directv's modem number 866-685-8469.  I have a Verizon Home Connect phone which is really just a cell phone acting like a hard wired landline.  It will not pass the modem tones properly so it won't communicate (can't use it as a fax line either)  This info is in the instructions that came with the phone.  All my receivers are connected to the internet 24 / 7.  Will the receivers connect with Directv to download whatever they need to through the internet connection? The caller ID works sort of.  Number of calling party but no names.  Been a very happy Directv customer since 1996, !8 years.  All my equipment is self installed.  3 DVR'S 2 reg hd rcvrs whole home DVR etc.   Should I disconnect the phone line from the receivers, hate to loose the caller ID such as it is

• Re: Early AM outgoing phone calls to Directv's modem.
    shannon01

The phone line is only needed for caller id and if the receivers are not connected to the internet to pay for PPV using the remote.

wa6yyj

Hi Shannon01,

Thanks for the comeback.  Upon further investigation I noticed those 15 calls in a row in the early AM hours of 03/25/14 started right after the downloading of new software on my DVRS ver 0x803 go figure.

Thanks again,

WA6YYJ, Bob.

Sent: Monday, April 07, 2014 16:48

To: wa6yyj

Subject: Re:  - Early AM outgoing phone calls to Directv's modem.

DIRECTV Technical Forums 

reply from shannon01 in DIRECTV® Whole-Home DVR service - View the full discussion

shannon01

New software updates are downloaded from the sats not thru the phone or internet.

wa6yyj

Hi Shannon01,

Thanks for the reply.  I know that the software upgrades come from the sats.  I just thought it was peculiar that within 10 minutes of the download my poor DVR tried to phone home over and over again all to no avail.

Thanks,

WA6YYJ, Bob.

Sent: Monday, April 07, 2014 19:44

DIRECTV Technical Forums 

reply from shannon01 in DIRECTV® Whole-Home DVR service - View the full discussion

dcd

I'd guess that the system is still putting a phone reply in the position of first response and if that is unavailable then the Internet is used for reporting.  Obviously the IRD sees the phone connection and may well use that exclusively to report, in spite of being unsuccessful.  If it were me, I'd disconnect the phone line and trust that the Internet connection will take over the communication required.

wa6yyj

Hi dcd,

Thanks for the comeback.  That was my guess too as to what was happening.  It was just the 15 calls in a row after the new software download that caught my attention.  My IRD’s communicate just fine with

Directv thru the internet connection.  I’ve never missed being billed for pay per view event ordered with my remote.

Thanks again.

WA6YYJ, Bob.

Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2014 03:48

DIRECTV Technical Forums 

reply from dcd in DIRECTV® Whole-Home DVR service - View the full discussion