6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 14, 2014 3:17 AM by dcd RSS

Blackouts and Game Search

ruinrvu

This is not so much a tech. question but it is something that I can't get a definite answer for. How do I determine if a game that I'm trying to watch has been blacked out in my market? Also what ever happen to the GameSearch technology that is suppose to find an alternate channel for you? I have the premier package which includes the sports pack and my RSN channels. I also have MLB xtra innings and NBA league pass. I do understand somewhat how blackouts work and why? What I don't understand though is what's the best way to check if a game that I'm wanting to watch or record is going to be blacked out. Then if it is what method do I use to see if alternate channels are available? I have tried many times with very little success and when I did call Directv for help I don't think the customer service people really knew how to help me? What gives can anyone give me a definite answer? What process do I  use to find the game on an alternate channel? Thank you anyone that can help. I'm about ready to pull my last four hairs out!

• Re: Blackouts and Game Search
    dcd

There are a lot of small ins and outs to the black out process.  Generally though when you have one of the packages Not the Sports Pac), you will see most all the games unless the game is blacked out for everyone.  Some teams black out games if the stadium isn't sold out.  I don't have extra innings any more but I believe the seeking an alternate channel is automatic and available for selection when you set up a series record of a particular team.

The Sports Pac will give you pro games only in your viewing area, and black out all others.  And finally, if you set up a series record of a particular team, do so by searching for that team and don't set up the series on a particular channel.  That way the system will find the appropriate channel if one is available.

I found this in my system. I'm sorry  if it doesn't help..

Blackout rules for MLB extra innings

• MLB Extra Innings shows out-of-market games only. (Outside your local area.)
    • Games are not in MLB Extra Innings if:
      • Broadcast on your local stations or local RSNs
      • Broadcast nationally.
    • ESPN (Sundays): MLB games that start after 5:05 PM ET on Sundays are only available on ESPN and ESPN2, NOT in MLB Extra Innings.
    • Fox (Saturdays): Any out-of-market Saturday game that starts within three hours before or after the start of a game broadcasting on FOX WILL NOT be available in MLB EXTRA INNINGS. See below table for more information.
      • MLB imposes the Fox Saturday blackout to protect Fox rights to air the nationally televised game.
    Fox Saturday MLB game start time:MLB games starting during the following times are not available in MLB Extra Innings:
    1:10 PM ETGames starting before 4:05 PM ET
    4:10 PM ETGames starting between 1:10 PM–7:05 PM ET
    7:10 PM ETGames starting between 4:10 PM–10:05 PM ET
    ruinrvu

Thanks to the both of you for giving some helpful information. Alright, so I have the Premier package and it includes my RSN (channels and alternates). For this example lets say I don't have any added sports packages. I live in Michigan and I am trying to watch the Detroit Tigers game but when I tune to my RSN channel it's blacked out and it's not nationally broadcasted. I try to find it on an alternate channel with no luck and I'm confused about how to do that anyway. What would be my next move to improve my chances of getting the game? I would add MLB Xtra Innings right? I am guessing since I have the Premier package with the Sports pack my chances of finding an alternate channel would be better, is that true? Will having the Sports pack improve my chances? Sorry if that's a dumb question it's just what I was lead to believe. If the Sports pack is nothing but a wider range of different sports and doesn't give me a better chance. Don't I have the same opportunity to find the game I want to watch with any programming package, choice and above? You can only get the games you want to watch with the RSN assigned to your home Zip code and you don't get better chances if you go up in programming, right? From what I am learning it seems the best way to enjoy the sport of your choice is to get the add on sports package. I believe even that doesn't guarantee you'll be able to watch any game you want.

"If the Sports pack is nothing but a wider range of different sports and doesn't give me a better chance. Don't I have the same opportunity to find the game I want to watch with any programming package, choice and above?"

Pretty much yes.. The RSN channels in sports pack just gives you access to other peoples home team channels basically.. Having the MLB extra innings helps, but if you were thinking about having MLB, I'd make sure that your favorite team is on there often. I myself just researched the Detroit Tigers, & I did see where there have been a couple of games within the past week, and future that are available on MLB, BUT, it does not tell me if it'd be blacked out in your area. & you are correct with your last statement. Even with the Sports Package, the MLB extra innings, and your locals, we can't guarentee that your specific game, or channel will be or will not be blacked out until the actual time that it starts.

ruinrvu

Ok so in my Premier programming the Sports pack is included. Lets say I live in Detroit and I'm trying to watch the Tigers game on Fox Sport Detroit one of my RSN channels. The reason it's blacked out really doesn't matter. My sister lives in Nashville, TN and she has the choice package with a different set of RSN channels. So the only way for her to get Fox Sports Detroit would be to get the Sports Pack but since the game is blacked out for me it will also be for her correct? Lets also say that it isn't on a nationally broadcast network. Now lets say we both also have MLB xtra innings. Will she only be able to watch the game and I still won't because I live in market, or will it matter for what reason the game has been blacked out. Will both of us not be able to watch the live game? Also if it's not on Fox Sport Detroit because of blackout is it possible it may be on an alternate channel? I do apologize for all the questions around this issue but I'm told one thing buy one person when I call Directv and if I call at a different time I will get a whole new set of answers. It has to be easier then it seems. 

dcd

Re read my prior post.  The Sports Pack has no value in watching pro sports outside your viewing area, they never will broadcast the Tigers for your sister.  The only choice she has is MLB extra innings.  And you, living in Michigan and wanting the Tigers, don't need the Extra Innings at all.