14 Replies Latest reply: Apr 23, 2014 1:29 PM by grigorix RSS

No video or audio starting up HR34

grigorix

This evening I turned on my HR34 and there was no video or audio. If I pressed the info button on the remote, it would bring up the correct program information for the channel being tuned. I could change channels but still no audio or video. Recordings on the DVR would play normally, but when I exited to live TV, again no video or audio. Before I pushed the reset button, I tried looking at the satellite signals. All five tuners showed good readings. When I exited from the satellite screen, the audio and video operated normally.

Another possibly unrelated issue showed up later. When watching a recording made the previous evening, the recording would periodically freeze and then start playing again after a few seconds. The entire recording played, but it was as if I was pushing the pause button and then pushing play. This recording was one of three made at the same time, which made me wonder if the DVR couldn't handle the entire video stream and was buffering the input.

This HR34 was installed about three weeks ago as a replacement for an HR34 in which the hard drive was failing and had operated without problems until the last two days.

I have SWM with 8 tuners, the HR34, an HR21, and an H24. Whole home using a DECA network. The HR34 is connected via HDMI to an Onkyo AVR which is then connected via HDMI to a Sony HDTV.. This setup has been in place for more than 3 years without any problems.

Any suggestions? Maybe this is a one off incident but after one failed HR34, I'm a little sensitive to problems.

• Re: No video or audio starting up HR34
    litzdog911

The missing audio issue is likely an HDMI handshake problem.  Try temporarily bypassing the Onkyo and connected the DVR's HDMI directly to the HDTV.  See if the problem goes away.  It's possible that a recent software update changed the HDMI handshake behavior, and we've seen a few posts here about Onkyo AVRs having this issue. 

grigorix

I went back downstairs and turned the system on. This time the audio and video came up normally although it took a few seconds for everything to sync up. If I have further problems I will try connecting the HR34 directly to the TV. The HR34 received software version 0x808 on 3/27, a week or so after I installed the replacement HR34.

Any comment on the "pauses" in the recording that I referenced in my original post?

dcd

Inasmuch as the HR34 you received as a replacement may well be a refurb, I'd check the hard drive.

Run the Built in Self-test (BIST) to check and possibly repair your hard drive. To run the hard drive checks, please follow these steps:

* Reboot DVR via red button inside card door.

* When you see "Running receiver self-check" press select

* You will see "Entering Diagnostics Mode..."

* Select Advanced Tests Menu -> Hard Drive utilities -> Short Smart test for starters.

You can also run the file test, and the DVR can sometimes repair a bad file report.

If those tests pass, run the surface test. Warning: This process could take several hours to complete. You may want to run it overnight.

The good news is that every attempt is made to save programming. This is less destructive than a reformat all and
        could provide you with a more stable system if you are having problems that appear to be related to the hard drive

grigorix

This evening, I entered diagnostics mode. Before reaching the menu, the system did a file system check and repaired 776 errors. After that the system went to a menu that is somewhat different that I encountered in previous adventures. Nonetheless I found and ran the short SMART test, which passed. I observed that the hard drive had 10771 hours of power-on time which makes this DVR only slightly less used than the one it replaced. Since the hard drive is nearly empty and I have the parts to assemble an external hard drive, I am tempted to go this route. On the other hand, I feel that I should hold DTV's feet to the fire and provide me with a reliable unit. Maybe they will eventually break down and give me a new HR44.

shannon01

Any errors is a good sign the hard drive is going bad, watch any programs and replace ASAP.

It is a 50 50 chance.

dcd

Errors are bad news.  I wouldn't use an external drive in an attempt to "repair" a failing DVR.  Your idea to call Directv back is the way to go.

grigorix

The surface test ran overnight. By the time I went to bed, the test was about 75% done. Six errors had been found and repaired at that time. Don't know the final count, but I am going to call DTV today.

litzdog911

Yeah, your  DVR is toast.  Call DirecTV for a replacement.

grigorix

Since that HR34 lasted less than a month, I am trying to convince them to send me a new HR44. I am not sure how much servicing they do to returned DVR's. If all they do is erase the hard drive, rather than reformat, the replacement unit could have come with file system errors. I am a long time DTV customer and I'm beginning to feel a little abused.

litzdog911

You can try all you want, but the  DirecTV CSRs have no way to specify what model Genie you'll get. Their systems consider them "equivalent", so you'll get whatever is next on the shelf.  And most likely that will be an HR34.   You *might* be able to convince them to dispatch a service tech to replace your HR34, and it's more likely they will have an HR44 on their truck.  Good luck.  Keep us posted.

grigorix

Well I talked to a very nice customer service rep last Thursday. I explained what had happened, but she was reluctant to send out another receiver. Since I did not have any backlog of recordings on the HR34, I agreed to continue to use it for a while rather than escalate the case to a higher level.

Tonight, in the process of changing channels, the HR34 locked hard and would not respond to any commands from the remote or front panel. I pushed the reset button and when the unit did a self-check, another 53 errors were detected and repaired. Once again I talked to a very nice CSR and since there was already a note on file about the previous call, there was no question about replacement this time. So I am soon to have my third Genie in the last six weeks and we'll see how it goes.

The rep also said that he would put a note on file that I should be placed on case management if further problems occur, which would mean a service call and a better chance of getting a new HR44.

dcd

Jut a bit of background.  Getting a HR44 to replace a HR34 via a direct ship is nigh on to impossible.  Getting one from a service visit is much more likely if the tech has one on his truck.

grigorix

Understood dcd. I tried to get the rep last night to authorize a service call, but it is obvious that they are operating under strict guidelines.

grigorix

I received a replacement HR34 today and have it installed and working. This unit started up much more quickly than the previous replacement and did not go through the guided setup screens, which I didn't need anyway. The software is relatively old (11/5). It will be interesting to see if I run into handshaking problems when it updates.