12 Replies Latest reply: Apr 18, 2014 5:30 PM by kenkipnes RSS

Dog TV - why would anyone pay for it?

kenkipnes

When the DogTV channel was introduced, I thought it was a great idea.  I always leave the TV on for my dog when I am out of the house. Of course, when I get home and there is no sound coming out of the TV because the screen saver kicked in, that negates the value.

Before you jump in to helpfully tell me to turn off Power Saving, I have done that on all 3 of my DVRs.  According to my PREFERENCES, I don't want the Screen Saver to ever kick in.  But, apparently DirecTV knows better and decides that despite the setting the screen saver should be used for some unknown reasons.  Seems like a simple bug, no?

I have reported this to DirecTV several times, but the only response I ever get is "Thank you for being a longtime DirecTV customer and happy with your service".

Now, DirecTV ignoring a preference is annoying, but if I actually PAID for DogTV and had that happen, that would be much more than annoying.  DirecTV is again promoting DogTV as the answer to my dogs happiness.

Is there any way to get DirecTV to actually fix bugs?  I haven't yet found the magic words to make that happen.

ken

• Re: Dog TV - why would anyone pay for it?
    litzdog911

What model DirecTV Receiver/DVR do you have?   This should not be happening.

kenkipnes

Hi litzdog911

I have an HR24/100

HR24/200

HR34/700 (Genie)

I normally watch one of the HR24s directly (lately the HR24/100 more), but it happens on all 3 of the DVRs, quite often. (my setup is not "normal", all 3 DVRs are in the same room and I use Whole Home to access the compiled playlist; I use other equipment to distribute the HDMI signal to the other TVs in the house).  But, none of this should cause DirecTV to believe it should ignore the preference and put up the screen saver.

Ken

carl6

It could have something to do with your "other equipment" that is used to distribute the signal. Perhaps the source DVR is not recognizing the remote connection which results in it going into screen saver mode? Just speculating, but when you have a unique installation it does make it much more difficult to try and narrow down the source of a problem.

kenkipnes

Sorry I brought that up, since it only served to confuse you.  There is nothing that could possibly cause the DirecTV DVR to kick the screen saver in, unless there is something in the HDMI return signal that could confuse it.

This is a very simple programming bug.  We needn't make it complicated just to justify it.  In every instance that the DVR considers starting the screen saver, it should check the user preference and stop based on that.  Simple fix.

ken

joed32

I had never seen this happen until the past few weeks. One of our HR24s has the screen saver pop up right in the middle of viewing a program.

rolls

I would like to point out,

You can disable the power saving mode (Where the receiver goes into standby mode after not using it for the last 4 hours)

But The DIRECTV logo screensaver can't be totally disabled. (Where DTV logo bounces around the screen)

kenkipnes

As I said in my ORIGINAL post:

Before you jump in to helpfully tell me to turn off Power Saving, I have done that on all 3 of my DVRs.

Perhaps you can actually be helpful and tell us the instances where the screen saver would kick in.  The only time that I want it to kick in is when I pause the DVR playback of a recording or pause Live TV.

litzdog911

It's a bug, kenkipnes.  It should only kick in under the circumstances you describe. 

rolls

I was not telling you to turn off power savings mode.

I was telling you that power savings mode and the DirecTV logo screensaver are two completely different things.

You stated in the post "Now, DirecTV ignoring a preference is annoying"

I am simply letting you know that the setting you changed, was only to stop Power saving mode

Ill reiterate just to ensure that you do not misinterpret what I am saying

The DirecTV Screen Saver can not be turned off.

Turning off power savings mode on the receiver has nothing to do with the screen saver.

Have a Great Day!

kenkipnes

I sent this conversation to DirecTV customer support; I don't expect any real response.

ken

kenkipnes

An update: I sent this forum discussion to DirecTV Customer Support and got an email response that I should call Technical support.  I did that.

I was on the phone with Technical Support for 45 minutes. The person on the phone did a lot of 'research' and came up with essentially nothing, but I convinced him to submit an issue report for the programmers.  He indicated that nothing may come of that, except other people who are experiencing the same problem also get them to submit issue reports.  So, for those of you who have experienced the same thing, please call DirecTV and convince the Technical Support person to send in a report. Call 1-888-667-7463 and say "technical", then "Representative" (otherwise it will try to bring you through a maze of questions and silly things to try)

ken