9 Replies Latest reply: Apr 30, 2014 6:02 AM by joed32 RSS

tv or directv?

beware

While watching a show recorded on the dvr, half of the side of my LCD tv went darker than the rest, I mean considerably darker. Thinking it was an issue with the recording, I quickly get out of it and its on live programming too. So I turn off the directv receiver and just have the tv on with no signal, showing a bright blue screen…I don’t see the issue. I then turn the set back on and issue gone. Now I examined with the tv on and directv off and also looked at everything off and besides the occasional dust debris here and there, nothing seems out of the ordinary.

Should I chalk this up to a tv set issue or an isolated incident with the directv signal? It has given a green hue to the screen before in the distant past, but I determined that was a directv issue…

What do you think?

• Re: tv or directv?
    peds48

hard to tell.  but if it happens again and you have another receiver or another source, connect that to the TV and see

beware

if it turns out to be the dvr, is there anyway it can be replaced with all my recordings on there? I have had them replaced before and I know its all saved on the access card, I just didn't know if I can use this card in a new unit.

litzdog911

Welcome back, beware.

There's no way to transfer recordings from one DVR to another DVR.  The Access Card just authorizes your DirecTV subscription.  It does not hold any recordings. 

texasbrit

Looks like a TV problem to me...

beware

Ok, I don’t know what to make of this, whether it’s the tv or the directv receiver.

Did it again just now with me turning on everything, a quick turn off fixed it.

But here is where it gets weird, I would think it would be the tv if more persistent and visible with the receiver for directv off, right?

Well, when you hit “on” on my remote, it turns the receiver on and tv powers on but is delayed like 10 seconds. So technically the receiver was on but it did that darkening on the initial “no signal” screen on the set before they both communicated, so I get it since the directv box was on. So I went to a different tv output and it showed it, again with the box on.

Here is where it gets tricky. I am thinking it’s the receiver because as I go and check to make sure all the cords are tight, it powers on with no blue lights at all on the receiver. But then again, I am confused as then when I restarted the box and it was technically off for the 10 seconds it takes to reboot, it did the darkening again.

So basically, it some capacity, the darkening happens when the tv is trying to communicate with the box, either at initial start up before they all communicate and merge or out of the blue.

will watch a bluray on there later to see if anything happens...

beware

Wow. This tv only lasted 5 years! It's the set, itself, it did it on a bluray. I am going to have to watch the tv in my bedroom except for when the Miami Heat play before I can have someone help me move this one out and the one in my bedroom in its place.

5 years, wow. And then just out of the blue. Funny thing is it happened for the first time on Saturday and then not again until today but then its a lot more consistent today and not just 1 isolated event.

Sure enough, electronics seem to go bad when out of warranty even if its extended.