6 Replies Latest reply: May 17, 2014 5:08 AM by dcd RSS

media share gone crazy

antknee

ok so i have a Model: HR23-700 and a Model: H25-500. my hr 23 has a cckw and a broadband deca with the swim install. so my h25 has internet and can use the media share. so the funny problem im having is when i use media share through my windows sharing i can play multiple file types...99% of my movies... avi's mkv's mpegs etc. i wanted to try my media server as i assume the decoding will be better and not cause such a choppy grainy picture... when i share to the blueray player in the livingroom 1080 looks like 1080. but when i share to the dtv recievers 1080 looks horrible...like standard analog. my problem is when i select the media server and go thru the folders it shows all my movies but they wont play any of them.... what could be causing this? they all play fine thru the blueray player. but i have been spending more time in my room as i had to let a family member crash on the couch. and they all play when i use my pc's sharing instead of the media server. and will fixing this issue get me better picture or should i just move my blueray player in my room as the media sharing is unwatchable.

• Re: media share gone crazy
    peds48

DirecTV media share only supports MPEG2 files for video

antknee

ok but you must have read my post. it plays ALL my movies throught the windows media share. it just doesnt play them thru my media servier (nero) so the question is not what files it supports because it is supporting my other file types. the question is would the media play with better wuality if i can get it to play thru the media server? if not ill stop wasting my time and just rearrange my equipment. theres no point in watching a 1080 movie in the quality i am getting thru the media share

peds48

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/directv/technology/mediashare?referrer=https://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1794/kw/media%252520share

From the website

At a Glance

•  

Bring photos, videos and tunes stored on your computer to your big screen TV

•  

Share JPEG, MPEG and MP3 file formats

•  

Connecting your computer to your receiver takes just a few minutes

dcd

Mediashare, in it's as supplied configuration, looks in the default data files of your computer for programming and then uses Windows Media Player as server software.  If you want to store your media in a server, as well as play a variety of formats, you need a third party software to accomplish this.  If you're interested, post back and I'll put up the link of the server software I use for this purpose.  It's free and works like a charm.

antknee

dcd yes sure i would love for you to post the link. my question still is unanswered will the quality be any better than the quality i am getting thru the regular windows server? windows media player server gives me better quality thru my blu ray player why is it so ****** thru the dvr? will it be any better with the server?

dcd

Not sure that the quality will improve, but the software is free and easy to uninstall if you don't like it.

You might want to try a 3rd party software called TVersity.  It takes the place of Windows Media Player as the server.  The current version doesn’t work properly so I run version 1_7_4_1 and simply click “okay” if offered the update.  In addition I run the CCCP codec pack (not Insurgent) and refuse the TVersity codec version if offered.  One nice thing about TVersity is the Library tab where you can tell the program where to look for your files.  Another advantage is that the program will trans-code on the fly several file types to ones the Media Share program can play.  Note that you choose the “folder” option when selecting files to play.

http://www.fileol.com/audio-and-video/tversity-media-server-pro-1.7.4.1.html

http://www.cccp-project.net/