8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 1, 2014 4:53 PM by peds48 RSS

SlingBox with DirecTV

jerrybudd

I need some help using my SlingBox 500 with my DirecTV service. I currently have the SlingBox connected to the HD Whole House DVR and it works great.  However I'd like to move it to another Genie receiver in the house so I can watch something remotely (when I'm away from home), while the HD Whole House DVR is being watched by someone else at home.  Problem is the Genie remote receivers (Model C41-700) don't have component output signals (the SlingBox 500 requires both HDMI and component inputs to operate).  Is there another Genie receiver that has component output or is there another workaround for this.  I don't want to have to get another HD DVR receiver to be able to do this.

• Re: SlingBox with DirecTV
    peds48

you need this cable

carl6

Are you sure you need both hdmi and component inputs? Typically you only need one or the other. I have older Sling models, not a 500, so can't test it. Does the 500 have an hdmi feed through (receiver to 500, 500 to tv)? Probably safer to use component, you avoid the HDCP issues, and as peds48 noted, the cable he linked to will give you component video out from a Genie mini client.

b.johnson

I am using the cable that peds48 suggested and everything seems to be working fine with the exception we are receiving the Slingbox broadcast on our IPAD in black and white, no color. Called Slingbox and they say they can not guarantee that using the cable that goes from SD video on the Genie to component into the Slingbox will work. Can anyone help me with this? I am not an installer, just an end user trying to figure this out.

carl6

There is component video and there is composite video. Component video has 3 colored video lines (red/green/blue) plus red/white audio connections. Composite video has 1 (yellow) connector plus red/white audio.  Make sure you are connecting the proper colored cables to the proper connections, as peds48 noted.

peds48

it looks like you are connecting the component cable to the composite input on your Slingbox.  Make sure to match the colors appropriately

agentque

I hope someone on this thread can help, I'm at a loss as to what I need to try next!

I purchased the Breakout Composite (Red/White/Yellow) for the C41 and Slingbox SB200.  I have read this thread multiple times and am still unable to get the slingbox to receive video.  I have temporarily connected the HDMI cable from the satellite to the slingbox while having the above mentioned cable connected from the slingbox to the C41.

I even purchased an HDMI splitter, but that isn't working at all.

I have a good network connection and when attempting to perform the setup for the slingbox the video input selection shows component is attached to the Slingbox.  However, still NO video output no matter which video input selection is made.