11 Replies Latest reply: Sep 15, 2014 4:39 PM by bigfoot48 RSS

Freezing and Delete Prompt

bigfoot48

I have an HR-34.  Three times over the past week the exact same problem has occurred.  I record two programs every day: The Five (daily set to record) and Special Report (series record), which air one after another on Fox News 360.  After the recordings are finished, I  select Special Report to play, but it does not start playing, instead displaying the message : "Do you want to delete this recording or save this recording".  Selecting "save" and trying again to play results in the same message.  When I start "The Five" playing, it starts normally but after about 5 seconds the screen freezes but the audio continues.  This exact thing occurred once last week before the 870 update on Friday, then again this Monday, but not Tuesday, and then today, Wednesday.

Why is this happening and how does it get fixed?

UPDATE:  I am unable to add a reply to answer the below post.  Keep getting an error message from the forum.  Very frustrating.  Here's my response:

I did an RBR after two of the three events.  The HR34-700 is the only DVR operating and their are no other receivers. Free space is at 78%. Neither of these two conditions, the "what do you want done with this recording" and the "picture freeze - audio continue", have ever occurred before in the 26 months we have had this DVR. 

• Re: Freezing and Delete Prompt
    litzdog911

First thing to try is resetting your HR34 Genie DVR using the red button behind the front panel access card door.

If that doesn't help, post back with more details about all of your DirecTV equipment.  What other Receiver/DVR models do you have? 

This problem usually means that the satellite signal was missing or interrupted when the show was trying to record.

litzdog911

You need to edit your account profile with your name, then you can post replies.  Note that we'll still just see your screen name.

With just one DVR/Receiver, it will be difficult for you to diagnose this problem.  It could be a dish/LNB issue, or a defective HR34.  

bigfoot48

Thanks for letting me know what was wrong with the forum posting issue, all fixed now although I note Directv does not offer the HR34 as an option to "what equipment do you have".  Can I suggest they get those options updated?

I will see if my dual-failure issue occurs again, and again, then start the calling process to DTV for a fix.  I'd rather go get a root canal but need this to be fixed to make the $120 I pay a month worthwhile.

Thanks for the help.

bigfoot48

Another event today.  Turned to 360 before the two programs were set to record, and the two programs that have been having problems recorded normally at 2PM and 3PM, but a test recording on 264, Top Gear, set to start recording at 2PM, did the "start, video freeze, audio continue" routine.

So it may not be a channel thing.  Could it be time of day?  Will test again tomorrow.

litzdog911

Please post back with your signal readings for each satellite's transponders (and both tuners if applicable).  You'll find these readings under "Menu" -> "Setup" -> "System Setup" -> Satellite -> "View Signal Strength".  Note the "+" and "-" symbols next to the "Satellite" and "Tuner" entries where you can toggle the readings between the various satellites and both DVR tuners.

Fill in your readings for each satellite and tuner using these examples.  A properly aligned dish will show 80-90s on most of the relevant transponders (although some will be low or zero):

Satellite transponders (32 total at 101º)

[Most of your standard definition channels are beamed from 101ºW]

1-8    x   x   x   x   x   x   x   x

9-16   x   x   x   x   x   x   x   x

17-24  x   x   x   x   x   x   x   x

25-32  x   x   x   x   x   x   x   x

Satellite transponders (3 total at 110º)

[Not present with Slimline3 dish. No channels are currently beamed from this satellite]

1-8    NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  x

9-16   NA  x   NA  x   NA  NA  NA  NA

Satellite transponders (11 total at 119º)

[Not present with Slimline 3 dish. Local SD channels for some cities, Spanish package]

17-24  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  x   x   x

25-32  x   x   x   x   x   x   x   x

Satellite transponders (16 total at 99º(s)) [or 99º(b)]

[Local HD channels for some cities]

1-8    x   x   x   x   x   x   NA  NA

9-16   NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  x   x

[Note: these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (14 total at 99º(c)) [or 99º(a)]

[National HD channels]

9-16   x   x   x   x   x   x   NA  NA

[Note, these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(s)) [or 103º(a)]

1-8    x   x   x   x   x   x   NA  NA

9-16   NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  x   x

[Note, these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(ca))

[National HD channels beamed from D12 satellite]

1-8    NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA

9-16   x   x   x   x   x   x   x   x

Satellite transponders (14 total at 103º(cb)) [or 103º(b)]

[National HD channels beamed from D10 satellite]

9-16   x   x   x   x   x   x   NA  NA

17-24  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA

bigfoot48

Thank you for your assistance in my attempt to understand and resolve this issue.  Here are my signal strength readings.  I only see a few low numbers which I bolded.

Satellite transponders (32 total at 101º)

[Most of your standard definition channels are beamed from 101ºW]

1-8      96  97  95  0  96  98  96  99

9-16    96  97  96  0  97 100 96 100

17-24  96   0   96 100 97 100 97 100

25-32  97  52  96   0  98  99  97 100

Tuners 2-5 identical to Tuner 1 above

Satellite transponders (3 total at 110º)

[Not present with Slimline3 dish. No channels are currently beamed from this satellite]

1-8    NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  78

9-16   NA  85   NA  80   NA  NA  NA  NA

Satellite transponders (11 total at 119º)

[Not present with Slimline 3 dish. Local SD channels for some cities, Spanish package]

17-24  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  88  95  85

25-32  73   92   91  89   82  90   0  93

Satellite transponders (16 total at 99º(s)) [or 99º(b)]

1-8     0   0   0   0   0   0   NA NA

9-16   NA NA NA NA NA NA  0  0

17-24  97  95  0  0  0  0  0  0

Satellite transponders (14 total at 99º(c)) [or 99º(a)]

[National HD channels]

1-8    91  92  88  87  89  89  88  87

9-16  89  90  88  87  95  92  NA NA

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(s)) [or 103º(a)]

1-8    0   0   0   0  NA  NA  NA  NA

9-16   NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  100  15

17-24  98  99  35  24  0  0  98  98

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(ca))

[National HD channels beamed from D12 satellite]

1-8    NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA

9-16    86  82  89  85  84  79  88  86

17-24  82  79  90  85  82  79  89  85

Satellite transponders (14 total at 103º(cb)) [or 103º(b)]

[National HD channels beamed from D10 satellite]

1-8     89  93  85  86  84  92  83  85

9-16   85  92  83  86  86  91  NA  NA

17-24  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA

dcd

Although the 99c and 103c signals could be a tad higher, the signals are sufficient and I don't think dish alignment would explain your problem.  Has this issue only occurred on the particular programs you listed?  If you're like us, you record lots of stuff.  Have you seen this occur anywhere else?  It may be an anomaly in those particular programs/channels.

bigfoot48

After having two days with no problems this issue of freezing-prompting, the problem reoccurred today again on the same two consecutive Fox News programs.  Now, it has also occurred on a third, the OReilly Factor recorded an hour after the second program.

Directv!!!  Why is this happening and when are you going to fix it?

bigfoot48

This problem disappeared in late June and I had hoped it had gone forever, but alas, it reappeared today (after a software update last night - coincidence?) in exactly the same fashion: Fox News show The Five recorded at 2PM freezes with the audio continuing, and the following recorded show, Special Report, instantly asks if I want to delete or keep the program.  It cannot be played.

If this happens again, I am calling and demanding an HR44 and hope it doesn't suffer from the same problem.

bigfoot48

Update - did it again today.  Same two Fox News shows.  Same behavior.  Definitely don't "assumed answered"!

bigfoot48

Did it yet again today.  "The Five" plays for 5 seconds then the video freezes while the audio continues.  The show directly after it, "Special Report", doesn't even start, just displays the "Do you want to delete this program?/Do you want to save this program?" message.

We called support last week as a result of an apparent hack of my account, and also talked to a tech guy about this problem.  He down loaded the latest software and had us reset our remotes (for another problem - response delays).  That did nothing to fix this problem.

So that's it.  I'm calling tomorrow and asking for a replacement HR44 at no charge.  If that's not provided we intend to look for an alternative to Directv after being customers for 16 years ($1,000+/yr) as I've had it with this problem.

Problem NOT solved.