I'm having a problem with the (HR-34 Genie) DVR playback which only started a few weeks ago, coincidentally on the same day that a software update and been pushed to the unit. (Admittedly though, that really could be just a coincidence.) Basically, the problem is that quite often (but not always) when I try to fast-forward a recorded program, the program will in fact begin to fast-forward, but the progress bar doesn't appear on the screen. When that happens, the unit (seemingly) also ceases to accept any commands from the remote and as a result, I'm unable stop the fast forwarding. I'll try to press the STOP button many times (and the remote control indicator light shows that a signal is being sent) but the DVR won't stop fast forwarding. Even if I try to shut the Genie unit off altogether, it doesn't respond and keeps fast forwarding. Eventually (after perhaps 20 to 30 seconds), the system resumes acknowledging the remote commands and I can stop the fast-forwarding. As I said, it doesn't happen every time, but perhaps it happens one time out of every 4 or 5 fast-forward attempts and the speed at which I fast-forward seems to be irrelevant. One variation of this problem which I occasionally encounter is that the progress bar *does* appear, but the unit still sticks in fast-forward and doesn't respond to remote commands for 20 to 30 seconds. If the fast-forwarding reaches the end of the recording, then the "Delete" option will appear right away and I'll once again have control. I seem to have no other problems with any of the other remote functions (such as accessing menus, adjusting the volume, displaying program information, scrolling through the guide, etc...). It's only when I try to fast-forward a recorded program and only once out of every few attempts. (I'm not sure about fast-reverse because I rarely do that. Also, I haven't yet experienced this on either of my Genie mini clients, but I very rarely watch recorded movies on those particular sets, so I can't say for certain whether or not the problem is isolated to just the HR-34.
So, here's what I've done so far in trying to troubleshoot the problem ... none of which have resolved the issue.
1. My first thought was to make sure nothing was blocking the remote signal. However, it's an open line-of-sight (10-feet max) with no obstructions.
2. I put fresh batteries in the remote control. (Problem persists.)
3. Thinking that perhaps my remote control is malfunctioning, I've tried using both of the other remote controls from the client boxes. They work just fine in terms of controlling the HR-34, but the problem persists.
4. I've tried resetting the HR-34 (twice). Once I simply pressed the red reset button behind the front panel. The second time I actually unplugged the entire unit and let it sit for a couple of minutes, then plugged it back in. (Problem persists.)
5. I've made sure the HR-34 is relatively free of dust, and is located on an open shelf with full ventilation on all sides. The room it's in is also air conditioned, and kept in the low 70's at all times.
6. Typically, I keep the HR-34 plugged into a (APC) UPS to help protect it from spikes and power fluctuations. However, as an experiment I tried plugging the unit directly in the wall outlet, thinking that perhaps the problem is somehow being introduced by the UPS. But the problem persists.
7. Finally, when fast-forwarding, I've made sure not to press the remote control buttons to rapidly. I'll press the FF button once, wait a second, then press it again to advance to the next speed, then wait, (etc..). The problem though persists.
Well, that's about all I've tried so far. As I said, this all started just a couple of weeks ago or so. Whether or not it has anything to do with the software upgrade, I don't know. Overall, I love the Genie and in all other respects it seems to be working well. Does anyone have any thoughts about what I should try next?
Thanks in advance.