3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 10, 2014 6:21 PM by gtbroman RSS

HDMI Output Fried?

gtbroman

We had a bad lightning storm the other day and lost power for a few seconds. The next day, my Genie receiver (HR44-700) acted completely normal... except that it seems that it cannot output through the HDMI port. My television would have a blank screen, but I would have sound (I have my sound run through a receiver via digital coaxial audio). I connected the receiver to my TV through A/V cables and was able to see a picture. I have checked all my settings and everything was just as I had left it. Is it possible that the lightning somehow damaged nothing on my receiver box except for the HDMI out?

• Re: HDMI Output Fried?
    peds48

gtbroman wrote:

Is it possible that the lightning somehow damaged nothing on my receiver box except for the HDMI out?

Yup, very likely.  One thing you can do is leave the HR44 unplug for a couple of hours. See if that helps.  Otherwise,  Call DirecTV to request a replacement Receiver/DVR.  It's free if you have their Equipment Protection Plan, or within 90-days of installation.  Otherwise ~$20 for shipping.  Or ~$50 to have a tech come replace it for you. 

litzdog911

HDMI connections are very susceptible to static and lightning damage.

gtbroman

Thanks very much, have called and gotten a replacement that works great.