14 Replies Latest reply: Aug 1, 2014 6:24 PM by donutpower RSS

Genie remote code for Sony STR-DH540

donutpower

i'd like to have the Genie remote work the volume for a Sony STR-DH540. I do not want it programmed to work my Samsung HDTV because anytime the Genie is turned off, the tv turns off as well. that doesnt work for me because i use the tv for the bluray player and HTPC.

I went about through the settings and used a code for a random tv in order to get to the audio control setting. My AVR is not on the list of Sony receivers. Is there another model that I can choose that will for certain work? The automatic codes it has tried dont seem to work and there are 100+ listed that it could try. That is too time consuming to go through all 100+.

• Re: Genie remote code for Sony STR-DH540
    dtvuser2013

You will have to go through the codes

I've made it to 45 once.You just have to do it if its to time consmuing then it must not be that big of a deal for you

dtvuser2013

Are you trying volume up as a test before selecting try next code

donutpower

i wouldn't say its a big deal as much as it is convenience. i literally do not have the time in the evenings to go about through 100+ codes. even worse if i went through them all and neither worked. if it were possible to go through maybe 20 a day, but it does not seem to remember where i left off. i would have to start all over again at #1 and work my way through all 100+ in one sitting.  granted that at least one out of all those would actually work at all.

dtvuser2013

I have done all for a customer and still not work but you will never know if you don't try

clarkfam

You have any luck?

I'm just about to go down the same rabbit hole over the next week probably two.

Mine is a Sony STR-D715

And my tv is a tubed toshiba that has a cooked IR board.

So I set the volume once on the tv and "control" it through the rcvr.

I've tried 30 codes so far and I die a little bit each time when I think that I may still finish going through all the codes

and be exactly back where I was when I started going through codes. eek.

As someone commented prior (above).

cc

EDIT: And to add, I have never really had to go more than 6 deep in most sony remote code lists. So I may be doing something wrong.

The mode switch is set to tv?

peds48

please start a fresh thread 

donutpower

nope no luck. what I tried instead was to link the remote to my Samsung tv which in turn gave me the choice of using the remote to only control the AVR for volume. whereas before i used my tv's remote to work the volume of the AVR since they are both Anynet+ compatible. you'd think that would have fixed the problem and i'd only have to use the one remote.

but it just made even more of a mess. now when i turn the Genie off, even when switching the tv to a different source like the bluray player or PC, the Genie turns the tv off anyway.

also realized that if the AVR is off (it uses HDMI passthrough so it doesnt always need to be on), the Genie's volume controls dont work the tv's volume, they become useless again. so im still stuck with needing the tv's remote to power it back on and work the volume if the AVR is not on. which typically i dont want the surround sound on in the early morning or late in the nite.

another gripe is that if everything is off and when i switch the Genie on, the tv doesnt power on at all. i still gotta get the tv's remote and power it on. so really linking the Genie to the tv only gives u the feature of powering the tv off whenever u power off the Genie. which i do not want. especially dont want it if it doesnt even give u the functionality of powering the tv on when powering on the genie.. makes it such a big annoyance that it only works when powering off.

so no ive had no luck whatsoever. i simply want the Genie remote to control the AVR's volume and not be programmed to the HDTV at all.

peds48

"so no ive had no luck whatsoever. i simply want the Genie remote to control the AVR's volume and not be programmed to the HDTV at all."

No way to do that.  Perhaps you are asking a lot from a vet basic remote.  You should look into more advanced universal remote controls. Logitech Harmony comes to mind

donutpower

i dont see how its asking a lot. the Genie clearly shows that you have the option of controlling your AVR with the Genie Remote. only problem is that it requires you to set it up for the HDTV first before giving you the option of controlling the AVR.  

i did the logical thing in getting around that by linking the Genie to a different branded tv model, but unfortunately my Sony AVR's model is not on the list of AVR codes. so i got screwed out of being able to simply set it to control my specific AVR.

no one around here seems to have any kind of helpful info. was hoping someone could give me certain models to choose from the list that would maybe work with my model, but no one here seems to be knowledgeable with this specific scenario.

i certainly dont want to have to spend even more money on a crazy expensive remote that i would have to spend even more time to program for all the devices.

litzdog911

I'm afraid peds48 is correct, though, donutpower.   The only way to do what you desire is with a remote that's more capable than DirecTV's free basic remote control.

methos

Don't  listen to these guys (that dont know tech stuff) about having to buy a harmony remote for over $100. You have a Samsung tv right ,so set the remote to control a Sanyo or whatever brand that isnt Samsung. Then set the Audio Device to Sony and use the first model on the list after you key in STRDH5. That should control your AVR's volume up and down. The Genie will no longer annoy the **** out of you with turning your screen off and in turn powering off your AVR.  If the first model on the list doesnt work then try the third one. This is what worked for me. I have the same Sony AVR as you. The **** with going down the 100s of possible codes that wont work. 

With this process I am able to keep my tv one without the Genie powering off all my gear. I can turn off the Genie and switch to my PS2 and the AVR will switch to that source just fine.

Hope this helps. You shouldn't have to spend over 100 dollars for a remote that these guys would get simply because they don't know how to use the DirecTV hardware.

litzdog911

Methos, that might be true with the non-Genie (RC6x) remotes, but not the Genie (RC7x) remotes.

donutpower

Thank you! That did work. Now the Genie doesn't take over my HDTV and the AVR's volume can now be controlled with the Genie remote. It may seem like nitpicking but the fact that so many channels have low volume yet have commercials that play so loudly, I am always needing to have to flinch in getting to the other remote to get the volume down before my ears ache.

Appreciate the info. 

There was no way I was gonna go buy an additional remote for what should be a simple thing.  I would rather just do away with the DirecTV service altogether if I have to spend even more money.