4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 9, 2014 9:24 PM by neil154 RSS

Upgrade to TIVO from HR22-100

neil154

I currently have a Genie HR34-700 in my family room as my main receiver and a HD DVR HR22-100 in basement as a second receiver.  The way I have the HR22 connected it has a splitter and I can watch that signal on my basement TV and (using an RF modulator and RG59 cable) can watch that signal on my main TV in my family room as a second source.  I use the remote control in the family room in RF mode so I can change channels etc.

Since the TIVO only records 2 shows I am thinking about upgrading the HR22 to the TIVO THR22.  I understand it works by RF but will I be able to also use the remote for my HR34 (RC65RX) to control the TIVO by RF?  Are there any disadvantages to switching the HR22 for the TIVO? 

What did I not ask that would make it better or worse to swap the HR22 for the TIVO?

Thanks for your help.

• Re: Upgrade to TIVO from HR22-100
    shannon01

The THR22 will not work with the Whole Home system and some people have trouble with downloading On Demand, not sure about the RF but should work.

neil154

Thanks for the response.  I do not use whole DVR so that is no issue to me.  We had a TIVO many years ago when we first joined DirectV in 2004 and liked the interface.  This many years later we are trying figure out if we would better off with the TIVO again.  So would like comments from people who are using it about how they like it. 

I also really need to know if I can use my Genie Remote to control the TIVO.

Thanks

shannon01

I got my THR22 from weaknees.com with a 2TB hard drive and so far the few On Demand programs I have downloaded worked fine.  I got it for the Wishlist feature that DTV doesn't have.  Don't have a RF remote but I know that the new RC71 remote will not work in RF on the older DVRs including the HR34.