14 Replies Latest reply: Jul 21, 2014 2:08 PM by texasbrit RSS

Genie locks up EVEN WHEN ITS TURNED OFF

saint714

This weekend, I'm taking all this useless **** hardware out to the desert and putting rounds into it.

I'm sick of calling DirecTV to try and get this fixed only to have them lie to my face and claim "Gosh, we've never heard of that happening before" because, apparently, the SIX MILLION HITS ON GOOGLE when you search for "DirecTV freezes" is some kind of myth or hoax.

Tech comes out, tests everything from power connectors to the brand of surge protector I have to the signal strength to the brand of HDMI cable I'm using. All tests pass with no problem, BUT THE ******* BOX STILL LOCKS UP DAILY and within the past month, it's started locking up EVEN WHEN IT"S NOT TURNED ON!

THe DVR is 63% empty and I've got PLENTY of signal strength.

But DirecTV REFUSES to admit that this Genie hardware is TOTAL: ******* GARBAGE.

I've been chasing this rabbit for MONTHS.

**** you, DirecTV.   Hello Dish Network.

• Re: Genie locks up EVEN WHEN ITS TURNED OFF
    litzdog911

Did you want help, or just want to vent?

If you want some help, we need more information ...

• What Genie model do you have?
    • Do you have other DirecTV Receivers/DVRs/Genie Clients?  Do they have this problem?
    • When was your equipment installed?  Did it ever work properly?
    • Have you tried any of the self tests, such as the hard drive test?
    litzdog911

Oh, I see you already have another thread here ....

Genie Freezes and DTV refuses to fix it

Best to keep your posts all in one thread.

saint714

Are you saying that TWO MONTHS isn't long enough to wait for DirecTV to acknowledge or answer my original request for help in the other thread?

Every time I call, the "support" person LIES and says they've never heard of such problems. Every tech that's come out has run the same tests that I have run on the box from the utilities and the problems resume within 24-48 hours later. They've replaced the box twice.

The DirecTV receiver I had BEFORE Genie didn't have these problems, so it is CLEARLY a systemic problem with the HR34 a& HR44 hardware and/or software.

The fact that DirecTV ***REFUSES*** to acknowledge or fix the problem is the issue here.

saint714

To consolidate the thread, Here's my original post:

I am *THIS* close to throwing this piece of **** Genie out the *******' window!

For ELEVEN MONTHS, the Genie receive will intermittently and abruptly freeze during playback of live TV *AND* recordings. First the picture freezes, and the audio continues for about 30 seconds and then the entire box locks up. The ONLY way to get it working again is to hit the red reset button. Recently, it's begun locking up EVEN WHEN ITS TURNED OFF and won't power own without hitting the red reset.

I've run all the hardware tests DOZENS of times, have the latest updates, have a circulation fan in the well-ventilated cabinet to prevent overheating, and I have nothing stacked on top of or under the Genie box.

I've searched all the forums, followed all the advice and had technicians out to inspect/test/repair the problem SIX TIMES. And it CONTINUES NO MATTER WHAT.  Nothing on the remote solves the problem, I can't "skip past the bad spot" and I AM DAMNED SICK AND TIRED OF IT!

The old pre-Genie DVR never did this and every time I call customer support, they tell me they've never heard of this kind freezing problem before and pretend like it must be something I'm doing wrong. If you check Google, you'll see MILLIONS of identical complaints, and that the problem has been happening since day one of the Genie release, regardless of device model.

And DirecTV STILL DENIES THAT IT'S HAPPENING.

I'm going to have the main unit replaced FOR THE THIRD TIME and if the problem still exists, I'm taking this worthless piece of **** out to the desert and putting a few dozen rounds into it.

I'm sick of paying over $100 a month for **** HARDWARE and DENIALS BY DTV.

joed32

Millions?

saint714

Oh gosh ... I'm terribly sorry.  It's only THREE HUNDRED AND SIX THOUSAND results.

I guess that makes it okay, then.

texasbrit

And what relevance does this have? there are all sorts of reasons why you get freezes:

Poor signal

Failing hard disk drive

IR interference overloading the system

Problems with the internet connection/router generating continual internet messages

Electrical (grounding) issues or power surges

There are millions of people out there who do not have the problems you are reporting. Remember only people with issues post on the forums. Has your receiver ever been replaced? If it has, then you've got to start looking at issues with your own installation, such as the ones I mention.

To be fair, the HR34 has a current software issue that causes slowdowns for some people but this is tied to a software release of only the last few weeks, so could not be your problem if it has been going on for a while.

joed32

That number is still BS that you're making up. Just move to another provider and be happy. Life is too short to be miserable.

texasbrit

Actually it isn't a made up number. It's an irrelevant number. But if you google freeze directv you do get 300,000 plus items. But just five minutes going through them will show you how irrelevant they are....

saint714

How interesting that there are all these replies and posts about the validity of the number of Google hits, but still NOBODY IS RESPONDING TO THE ORIGINAL POST OR THE FACT THAT THIS ****** GENIE KEEPS LOCKING UP EVEN WHEN IT'S TURNED OFF!

If you don't know the answer, then save your sanctimonious, dismissive ****.

texasbrit

I replied, but you don't seem to want to try to find out why you (and not most people with this Genie) are having problems. Your post is just a rant...

saint714

I see. So your canned, unspecific list of what the problems *COULD* be is supposed to constitute an answer or solution to a months-long, ongoing problem that three technician visits and two box replacements didn't resolve.

Your reply equates to "Learn CPR" to the question of "How do I save someone's life who's choking to death."

Functionally useless.

texasbrit

Think what you want to. The fact that you have had multiple replacements for the box seems to point to a problem with your installation not with the DVR itself. You would be very lucky to get a technician who understands the ins and outs of all the receivers; whatever you might think the combined knowledge of four or five people on this forum far exceeds anything you will get from most DirecTV techs.  I gave you a list of some of the issues that cause this type of problem; I would bet that none of the techs who came to your installation even suggested most of these.

peds48

I just Googled DirecTV® freezes  and about after page 7 and on all is IRRELEVANT.  That would make 70 hits instead of "SIX MILLION HITS ON GOOGLE when you search for "DirecTV freezes"

Myth is Debunked, or as they say, BUSTED!