11 Replies Latest reply: Aug 5, 2014 11:23 PM by joe51541 RSS

Question:

blikzum

Hi.  For the past week I have been getting conflicting answers from Direct TV technical support. Our home and HD DVR recorder is in Seattle. I am living/working in Philadelphia. I live in a Apt and Direct TV is not allowed (the Dish).  Is it somehow possible for me to watch sports programs my wife has recorded for me on the DVR in Seattle? I was hoping I would be able to access the recordings through my PC in Philadelphia????   I know there are devices called Genie and GenieGo, but I have been told yes and no twice by reps. Would either of those work, or, is there something else "out there" that would work???  Thanks.   

• Re: Question:
    litzdog911

Yes, GenieGo will accomplish what you want.   A GenieGo connected to your home network will enable you to view your DVR recordings with a tablet or PC wherever you're located.   Slingbox is another alternative.

http://www.directv.com/geniego

blikzum

Hi there.  Are you sure??  I've been told (Direct TV reps) that GenieGo would allow me to download onto a wireless device and take it with me, but that I must be at home and use my home router.  I was then told I needed Genie for only $400.00, and then told by another rep.... no,... that won't work either.  Direct TV has me very confused. 

litzdog911

GenieGo does both.  You can download recordings to your mobile device to take with you and play anywhere, even without a network connection, for up to 30-days.  And it also supports "Out of Home Streaming" to stream DVR recordings wherever you have a network connection. These features are pretty well spelled out in the link I provided.

peds48

but litz, would not the OP need to set up his mobile device at their home is Seattle first BEFORE they can use it in another place?

litzdog911

Good point, peds48.   The OP would need to be at home when setting up the GenieGo and client device(s) for out-of-home streaming.  After that it will work fine.

peds48

The GenieGo works with any HDDVR including the Genie. The GenieGo needs to be set up the first time in the same network where your DVR and GenieGo are.

For you, the SlingBox would be a better alternative

blikzum

Thanks litz and peds. Sorry for all the questions, but I've only recently crawled out of my cave and into the 21 century. What is an "OP" and why would Slingbox perhaps be better for me?  I would like to get this right the first time, so what about internet "speed" if that is the correct term, because I may have to increase the speed at both ends?  Thanks again. 

peds48

OP= Original Post(er) meaning YOU

IMO, Slingbox is better because it does not requires your mobile to be at home in order to be set up, also the Slingbox has a "live" TV feel and no restrictions, where as the GenieGo can't do sports subscriptions or VOD

blikzum

Thanks again.  Last question: Any thoughts about a "speed" requirement for downloading and uploading. In Seattle we have Century Link, and I have Fios in PA. Also, in PA it is my intention to use a wired P/C to connect to home in Seattle. Should that be OK?   You guys have been great. Can't thank you enough. All of this is because I enjoy watching serious I'ntl Rugby, so that means Direct TV or do without.  

peds48

in your home in PA you want to have decent UPLOAD speeds, anything above 3Mbps should suffice.  in your home in Seattle you want to have decent DOWNLOADS speeds, anything above 10 Mbps should be plenty

joe51541

Use a sling box it is better because you get live tv and play list and they are now coming in hd as well . I had a customer that had 2 sons in the service one in Iraq and the other in Germany and he has 3 hddvr two for them and one for his self with a good wifi you wouldn't know your streaming tv. in joy