13 Replies Latest reply: Aug 15, 2014 11:55 PM by spacecobrajoe RSS

My recordings are being recorded next door

agoetluck

The house next door gets my recording and vice versa.   We have the same last name, but separate modems and internet accounts but same key.   We have each had direct tv for a year and never had this issue but it started about a month ago.   When they called in, they were told it was impossible.   I was told I had to change the network keys.   I do not want to do that and will get rid of direct tv first.   What I want to know is why it was not a problem for 10 months and now it is.

• Re: My recordings are being recorded next door
    peds48

How are both of your DirecTV system connected to the internet?

mirageblvd

That is the problem. If the networks have the same key and the same name, the equipment may have problems telling them apart. Your DVR is looking at your neighbors WiFi instead of yours. The setup for the DVR should be run again and be sure that your are connecting to the correct SSID or network name. If both have the same SSID AND password, one MUST be chainged. SSID AND password MUST be different for each network!! He is looking at your wifi network and you are looking at his.

peds48

it looks like the DVR was reset (perhaps due to a software update) and instead of connecting to your network it connected to your neighbor's. The easiest fix is to have different SSIDs, you can keep the same password

live_connected_ok

I may be overly methodical but I have a few questions/suggestions.

If you turn your router off does your neighbors playlist disappear?  If its still there with your router off then temporarily remove the CCK-W from the cabling(if HR-44 ask neighbor if they can turn off their router for a few minutes).  Obviously this will show wether sharing a router is the culprit. If both routers are off (wholehome doesn't require an internet connection) and you continue to see neighbors playlist then you would in fact have a physical connection to the same SWiM network somewhere between the two homes.  

joeinwap

I think it would be more accurate to say that your whole-home DVR can see your neighbors DVR as well as your own.

(Recordings are being made on the right device, but the list of programs available for playback are not being kept private.)

This means that wireless ethernet broadcasts on your network are being seen by your neighbor and vice versa.

The only real way to get around this is to change your network's name to be different from your neighbors.

Change your wireless router's SSID. This will require changing all your wireless devices to use the new SSID.

agoetluck

In reply to all.   Last night, we lost our Direct TV and I reconnected using the SSID I have always used and the key that matches the neighbor.  Then all of a sudden, I got the response that the LR receivor was no longer connected.   That was my neighbors not mine.   All his recordings are off mine and mine off his.   It took several tries to reconnect but when searching for networks, it only sees one.  We still have the same SSID and same key but at this moment no issues.   I had been asking about the shared DVD and trying to tell people that it was his not mine but they would not listen but last night it showed I was right.  I know separate would SSID's would be a solution but not something we want to do because of family moving between houses with mobile devices, etc.  

I just want it to work the way it is now and has been before and wish the customer service would listen.

spacecobrajoe

I have no problems moving from house to house with differing SSIDs.

My cellphone and tablet both automatically switch over to whichever one has the strongest signal.  If I am watching a video while moving from house to house, the connection will get dropped, but that is to be expected.

What you had been using worked sort of by accident; as you have discovered, it is not reliable.

If you really want the two houses to act as a single LAN, then you need to reconfigure one of the routers to be a wireless extender instead of a standalone router.  Disconnect the broadband modem in the other house, and set it to be a wireless repeater, or run a Cat-5 cable from your router to the repeater.

Summary:

A: Two independent wireless networks using the same SSID and password = flaky; customer service cannot support that.

B: A single network with a combined broadcast domain = the way to go.

Only one wireless device is to be connected the broadband Internet; the other device is a slave and acting as a wireless repeater.  All PCs on both houses should be able to see each other in the Network Neighborhood, and all DVRs will see each other's play lists.

spacecobrajoe

Instructions on how to set up a 2nd wireless router to be an access port.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/ddwrt-router-superrouter/