15 Replies Latest reply: Aug 3, 2014 1:47 PM by cggelwicks RSS

Blackout stations

cggelwicks

I live in Chambersburg PA and last weekend experienced many stations that have been blacked out due to contract negotiations. These are major stations that are mostly local but several have no alternate station to view. I think this is ridiculous that DirecTV doesn't begin contract negotiations earlier to avoid this. Of course there is no discount offered even though I'm not getting what I signed up and pay for. How long do these negotiations usually go on and are they usually resolved without a huge loss of stations?

As much as I hate to even think about it, I'm considering returning to Comcast. I never had these issues with them.

• Re: Blackout stations
    shannon01

No one here can answer that as this is a user to user forum and I assume that DTV does try to begin negotiating early.

I'm still waiting for DTV/TWC to complete the Dodgers contract.

This is not limited to DTV, Comcast has blacked out channels also.

cggelwicks

Where should I have posted it? In all the years (15?) I had Comcast I never experienced 1 single blackout like this. It's ridiculous

litzdog911

All cable and satellite provides go through these silly "contract negotiations" every so often.  DirecTV is usually pretty good about settling things before the station(s) are blacked out.   You can apply pressure by calling both the local station(s) and DirecTV to get them to settle quickly.   Quite frankly, ask yourself why we should have to have "contracts" to receive free over-the-air stations?

texasbrit

Yes, Dish, Comcast, Time Warner etc go through this issue regularly when ever the retransmission contracts with the local stations come up for renewal. I could point you at several examples over the last year.Blame the FCC and Congress (and the lobbyists for the broadcasters) for this. Like litzdog, I don't see why these transmissions should not be free of charge.. The local stations get the over the air bandwidth free, every other user (like the cellphone companies for example) have to pay big bucks. The problem is that the traditional funding methods for local stations (e.g. commercials) are "broken" and the stations are desperate for revenue. So every time the retransmission agreements come up for renewal, they put up the price, and try to add other demands also.

peds48

cggelwicks wrote:

Where should I have posted it? In all the years (15?) I had Comcast I never experienced 1 single blackout like this. It's ridiculous

here are a few to refresh your mind

http://bit.ly/1ALBViX

http://dpo.st/1qESHJu

cggelwicks

Neither link contains anything to "refresh my mind."

I wasn't with Comcast at that time and I didn't watch Showtime Women nor do I live in Colorado or New Mexico.

I'm referring to NBC, CBS, ABC and Fox stations as well as some public broadcasting. Major channels.

peds48

So you only count the channels you watch or the ones that affected you?  Just because you don't see them if does not mean it does not exist...

cggelwicks

Thank you for sharing that astounding fact that "Just because you don't see them if does not mean it does not exist..."

Mr or Ms. Obvious

Here are a few other facts

A. I don't live in the random areas or watch the channels you linked to

B. I didn't have Comcast during that time period

C. I'm complaining about the channels that affect me because I pay $160 a month. That gives me a right to complain

Do you have a point to any of this or are you just trolling for an argument?

litzdog911

None of us are "trolling for an argument".  Just pointing out that you've been lucky to have been unaffected by these crazy "contract renegotiations" that affect many cable and satellite subscribers.   The way I see it, DirecTV has two choices in these situations .... (1) Cave into the local stations demands, pay more money, and raise our rates;   or (2) play hardball and drive for the best deal possible.   I'm glad they choose #2.   You may see it differently. 

cggelwicks

Some of you aren't. Others I'm not so sure about. Honestly I'm doing what was suggested by a DirecTV customer service person and that is to complain and write where I can.

I really am aware of blackouts across the board. Yes I've been lucky that none have really affected me but it doesn't change the fact that I've never lost this many major stations while still paying the same amount of $ and it ****** me off.

No one answered my question about where I should have put the original post. Instead I get lectures on how lucky I am that I haven't been affected before and pointless links.

If there is a page moderator please feel free to remove my original post and the entire thread. It's just wasting space here.

Sent from my iPad