15 Replies Latest reply: Aug 15, 2014 8:26 PM by texasbrit RSS

DVR Recording Problems

pt121984

The best way to explain this is to give you the background of what exactly was done that has presented me with the issue at hand.  It all started with me switching to xfinity from Directv. I'm not going to into great detail as to why I switched to them or why after a week I switched back. Let's just say after having Filet Mignon for 18 years and the being fed cube steak left a bad taste in my mouth.

After switching to xfinity I realized I forgot to copy down my season passes I had on my main HD DVR. Of coarse when I plugged in the DVR in without sat hooked up I couldn't get to them. So, I hooked up one sat input and It wouldn't let me there so I re-ran setup to use just 1 input then I could get to my list. The unit I'm talking about is a HR24-500 that I got from Weaknees with the 2TB hard drive. Now again I'm not getting into why I switched back for the sake of this post.

Now, after fixing the RG6 lines they cut between the sat and the switch I proceeded to pull all the x1 boxes out and re-install my directv receivers since I never called directv to cancel service. I'm having a problem with the main  HR24-500 DVR. When I installed it back where it was before the switch to xfinity it would only pick up on sat input and then I forgot I re-ran setup to get my season passes. So, I re-ran setup again selecting the proper dish type and input.  It kept failing after numerous attempts. Kept on giving me errors with the inputs. Red blocks saying that the 13v & 18v transponders were not right. I tried resetting the DVR back to defaults and again after many resets and power down reboots it still gave me an issue and would only work on one input. I even tried hooking up a spare set of b-band coverts to see if that was an issue. I brought up the other  HR24-500  I had from downstairs and hooked it up and it ran fine which of coarse made me mad thinking for sure that something was wrong with my main DVDs from Weaknees. Then on a last ditch curiosity I ran setup on that one and it failed as well. So then I took the main DVR downstairs and hooked it up to the sat inputs for that DVR and ran setup and all worked out fine. Evidently there was something wrong with the RG6 cables running upstairs. So I re did both cables from outside to the upstairs. Apparently through the years they have been patched and extended numerous times which degraded the signal through the line. Also, I noticed while I was fishing new lines through the wall I cut the existing line and used the copper conductor to fish the new line through. The copper conductor was welded into the white insulator. I couldn't separate them. This seems to have only happened to certain places in the line as I was able to find a spot I could separate.

Ok, now that you have the background to what I went through to get things hooked back up I can tell you what the actual problem is right now.

My season passes were still all there and the todo list was active and programs were scheduled to record. However while I was watching the message came up that two programs were going to record and what to do. I chose to let both record, but it didn't record on the one tuner. I looked at the todo list and noticed it wasn't there anymore just the one that was recording. I checked the playlist and the one that didn't record was there twice and I checked and each recording was for 1 minute. This was for The Last Ship. I was on that tuner still while it was on and I deleted the 2 that only recorded for 1 minute. The show was in the buffer because I was there at the time so I chose to hit record. However a message came up telling me that it can't record because I don't have authorization to record this show. I don't see why. I went on Directv site and re-initialized the service for that recorder a couple of times but it still wouldn't record. Called Directv and they said they've never run into this before and I was authorized and they refreshed the recorder as well. And suggested I reset the recorder after my other recordings have completed. I've done this and I'm still running into conflicts where there are none and things are not recording. Last night I had it set to record unforgettable and another program and the other one recorded buy not unforgettable. I looked at the history and it gives me a code 10 about some sort of conflict and there was no conflict. No other show was set to record. I don't was to have to reset the entire thing since I don't want to loose the 30 hrs.  worth of recordings I have on it saved right now. 

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is going on right now?

Thanks

Patrick

• Re: DVR Recording Problems
    peds48

do you know if you have a SWM system? Are both tuners live on the HR24?

pt121984

No, not SWM system and yes both tuners are live. I can actually enable double play without any issue.

Patrick

shannon01

Without the SWM system you will need 2 coaxes from the dish one for each tuner.

pt121984

Yes I know, I have two in each of the 3 DVR's I have and 1 for the standard receiver.

shannon01

A standard LNB has only 4 coax connections for 2 DVRs or 4 receivers or a mix you need a Zinwell 6x8 multiswitch to add more tuners and you cannot use any kind of splitters.

You can also get a SWM16 and its 29v power supply then you would only need 1 coax but you can only have 8 tuners on each SWM output and the standard receiver may not be SWM compatible.

pt121984

FFirst and foremost remember this system was up and running for a couple of years with the hardware that I've told you I have. I only re hooked everything back up like it was before xfinity came and installed their service.  Yes I have a 6x8 switch between the dish and receivers.  I originally had 2 hd DVR' s installed 1 sd DVR and 1 standard receiver installed. That's using 7 of the outputs from the switch. This was the original setup and this is what it is now. The problem I'm having is with the DVR itself. The DVR in question the two tuners are live and working 

PAtrick

shannon01

Can you swap the two DVRs if the problem moves with the DVR then call DTV and request a replacement $20 shipping free if you have the protection plan, if the problem stays in the room then there is something wrong with one of the coaxes to that room.

pt121984

I ended up doing a complete reset which seemed to clear up this problem. Unfortunately I lost all my recordings. The DVR upstairs has an issue that shows up on a system test. Giving me a sat alignment problem, but it seems to be working fine. I took it down stairs and the issue disappears, I went through the pain staking process of replacing the two RG6 cables to upstairs. They are running from the switch directly to the DVR without interruption. They still give me the error with alignment problems, but the DVR no longer Pixelates every once in a while. It must have something to do with the distance the cables have to travel. The bedroom upstairs is a good 60 feet from the switch.

texasbrit

Have not seen any issues with any of those. But are you saying the programs don't actually record, or that you go into the various lists and it seems as if they won't be recorded? We see posts all the time from people who say "the DVR did not say the episode would be recorded so I had to set it manually". Our experience is that these episodes will be recorded, even though they do not appear in the todo list or in the list of future recordings.

Have you actually missed episodes or are you nervous they won't be recorded?