10 Replies Latest reply: Aug 8, 2014 5:30 PM by texasbrit RSS

Genie not taping all series recording programs

budaboo

I have a lot of series recordings set up and for the most part there isn't a problem.  But for about 4 or 5 shows, Genie won't record the program even though the show is set up as a series recording.  Every night I have to check to see if my shows will tape, if not I record it manually.  I recently had to press the red button on the Genie to reset it, and that didn't seem to make a difference.  Does anyone else have this problem?

• Re: Genie not taping all series recording programs
    shannon01

You can try a search for CLEARMYBOX this will flush the guide data and start rebuilding it that may take a day or 2 to finish and then it wiill reboot the DVR, any programs set to record will record.

dcd

Generally speaking, the Genie (and other HD DVRs) are pretty smart abount recording series.  A lot of newcomers get to over managing the system and constantly worry that a program will be missed.  On occasion a series will have bad coding and thus those get treated improperly but I wouldn't expect that 4 or 5 would be malfunctioning.  Give us some coming programs, dates, channel, times and we can see if the programs record for us.

dblatnik

I have recently had this exact problem with the Listener on ION television (HD - channel 305).

I had "all episodes" set to record. The to-do list was updated correctly for a while. Then it stopped. I added a few episodes manually. But then I deleted the series from the series manager, and re-added it. And adjusted the relative priority. Not that it is an issue.  I am usually only recording one thing when the Listener is scheduled. Occasionally I will have a 2nd show recording (old movie on TCM).  But it isn't that the shows are not being recorded. The To-do list is not being updated.

After deleting and re-adding the series, I cannot tell if it is functioning correctly. 1 additional episode was added to the to-do-list. Not sure how far in advance that should be built, or how often it is rebuilt, as schedules change.

dblatnik

IN GENERAL the Genie is pretty smart. But from time to time it starts freezing. Channels won't change, menus won't scroll, etc. And it isn't a problem with the remote ... new batteries. Then after a few seconds, the channel will change, the display will update and everything works as expected. For a few minutes, or a few days.

It is far from perfect. If I knew then what I know now, I probably would have gone for the Tivo. Even with the extra out-of-pocket expense.

budaboo

The program I have the most problems with is Rookie Blue on ABC, Thursday nights at 8:00 pm Central time.  No matter how many times I cancel the series recording and reset it, it still will not record.  I have to manually set it each week.