5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 10, 2014 7:20 AM by bswb RSS

Genie Mini - Component Permissions For Channel?

bswb

I'm using a computer monitor via HDMI for the Genie Mini in our bedroom. The audio is 10-pin DTV component out to RCA, which then connects into a 3.5mm for a stereo system output (yes,it's a hack solution ).

The PS3 works fine this way. But the Genie Mini is putting up these weird "unauthorized content permissions for this component cable" errors. If I disconnect and reconnect the component cable, then it's OK until I change the channel.

I've searched around but I didn't see anyone with issues similar to this. Any ideas?

• Re: Genie Mini - Component Permissions For Channel?
    shannon01

It would help to know the exact message as the mini enforces HDCP ( HD copy protection) via HDMI on all channels and most likely the computer monitor is not HDCP compliant. 

bswb

The Genie Mini is connected to the monitor (generic brand that came with a Lenovo desktop years ago, 720p) via an HDMI to DVI cable. The audio is the 10-pin DTV component out to RCA jacks which convert to a 3.5mm stereo headphone jack.

Secondary issue: FWIW I tried a different monitor (ACER) and I didn't have the HDCP issue. However, the 720p display was off. It was cropped to where the left 25% and bottom 25% were out of the screen. It displayed fine at 480p but refused to work at 720p. I tried all permutations of display preferences (original, piller box, etc.) and aspect ratios but that actually didn't affect anything.

Both monitors work fine on the PS3 and Netflix streaming.

wooferz

bswb,

I work for DTV technical support. HDCP issues can be hard to understand but usually has a lot to do with the device you are viewing the content on (ie monitor/tv). It's likely the monitor/tv is not HDCP compliant. What specific channel numbers are you getting this message on? Usually it will be on channels you pay an extra monthly subscription fee for.

peds48

woofers, on a client it does not matter the channels, ALL channels are copy protected, this is part of the RVU protocol

bswb

OK, it must be the generic monitor that I got with my Lenovo computer. No HDCP issues with the ACER monitor.

However, there is the weird 720p resolution issue with that one. Should I create a second thread for that or can we troubleshoot that here:

Secondary issue: FWIW I tried a different monitor (ACER) and I didn't have the HDCP issue. However, the 720p display was off. It was cropped to where the left 25% and bottom 25% were out of the screen. It displayed fine at 480p but refused to work at 720p. I tried all permutations of display preferences (original, piller box, etc.) and aspect ratios but that actually didn't affect anything.