79 Replies Latest reply: Oct 17, 2014 11:39 PM by johnnyrotten RSS

on-demand sound cuts out

mjmcmahon67

Hi all -

experienced some odd issues streaming from Starz and HBO the other night and wanted to see if it's a known issue or one that I need to troubleshoot further.  Here's the situation: I grabbed an on-demand version of Elysium from Starz (if memory serves) the other night and went to watch it after it'd finished downloading.  For some odd reason, the sound would cut out for half a second every minute or so.  Thinking it was a bad download, I deleted it and tried again and experienced the same issue.  Thinking it might've been an issue with the movie, I selected another On-Demand movie from HBO and ran into the same issue.  I do NOT have similar issues with watching live content or watching recorded content from my Genie, so I'm sure it's not the receiver.  I've confirmed that my router is allowing the traffic through (if it weren't, I wouldn't be able to download on-demand content at all), and I have no such issues watching Amazon Prime streaming.

Thoughts on where to go from here?

Thanks,

Mike

• Re: on-demand sound cuts out
    peds48

What model of receiver do you have. look for the model number inside the access card door..

How are you connecting your DirecTV® receivers to the internet?

How are you connecting your DirecTV® receiver to your TV?

mjmcmahon67

Receiver in question is a Genie (HR34, I believe)

Receiver is connected via ethernet (100Mb), connected to a Powerline Ethernet bridge, into a gigabit managed switch and a Cisco 1841 router.  Internet connection is a 15Mb down/5Mb up.

Receiver is connected via HDMI through a Yamaha receiver and then out via HDMI to the set.  When the sound drops out, the Yamaha receiver shows no audio for half a second and then switches back to Dolby.

Mike

peds48

try bypassing the AVR.  Post back the results.

mjmcmahon67

peds -

not questioning your troubleshooting but, if it were an issue with the AVR, why would it affect only streamed content and only streamed content from DirecTV?

I will try bypassing my AVR once I get home.

mjmcmahon67

peds48 -

sorry it took me a couple of days to get around to this.  As expected, I bypassed the AVR and went direct to the TV and still experienced sound cut-outs.  I did a little more troubleshooting and confirmed that this only appears to occur when the DirecTV receiver is set to output in Dolby Digital mode.  If I switch to PCM, the cutouts do not occur.  Obviously, switching to Dolby (particularly for movies) is not desirable.  I can repeat this at will streaming content from Sprout On-Demand.

srgb111

We have a similar problem.  On demand content from HBO.  HR34-700 connection either through HDMI or Digital Audio to a Yamaha receiver (same results on both interfaces).  Drop out occurs due to a switching between Dolby Digital content and (I'm assuming) PCM.  Setting the HR34 audio to PCM only in the audio menu "fixes" the problem, but of course you lose Dolby Digital.

If you go directly to a TV this problem will probably not appear as the TV will typically restrict the interface to PCM and thus no drop out.

This seems to be only for on demand content - regular TV seems to be fine...

philomorph

We just started experiencing the same problem and it's not only HBO. We first noticed it when we downloaded a couple on-demand episodes of Silicon Valley. It was very noticeable on the main system, which is a pretty new Genie HR44-500, which is plugged into an Onkyo AVR.

We tested regularly recorded TV shows and have no problems. We also have an older HR24-100 that we recently downloaded American Hustle on and that movie also has the problem on both units. The older DVR is plugged directly into a TV via HDMI and the cutting out isn't as noticeable... it's more of a blip or glitch in the sound. I think the sensitivity of the main AVR's HDMI is what causes it to fully lose sound for half a second, whereas the TV handles it more gracefully and you don't get as big an impact. But it's still very distracting, making movies unwatchable.

To test, I downloaded on demand show from CBS and ABC also, and they had the same problem. It also happens when streaming the programs directly.

I can't pinpoint when the problem started, as we hadn't watched any on-demand stuff for a few weeks before tonight.

I can try the PCM "fix" but that's certainly not a viable long-term solution.

aaronmeier2881

Having the same issue here. We have an HR44-500 in the living room, and all was well for a long time when the DVR was connected directly to a TV input. But recently I added a Sony HT-CT370 sound bar and subwoofer, and rewired my system so that all of the source devices are connected to various HDMI inputs on the sound bar, and the tv is connected to the HDMI output. Live TV plays back fine, as does content from my PS3, which is connected to HDMI 2 on the sound bar (HR-44 is connected to HDMI 1). But I noticed the audio dropping out when I downloaded a couple of movies from HBO On Demand...they all exhibited the same exact problem. But not all On Demand content from the HR-44 is affected. Showtime seems to work just fine. But 95% of everything I try to watch on HBO On Demand has a half second dropout every 5 seconds, like clockwork. Disabling Dolby Audio on the HR-44 gets rid of the obvious pause in the audio, but replaces it with an annoying glitch, again, every 5 seconds. Really frustrating, as there is really no other way I can hook my system up, so if this is an issue with the HDMI connection, I'm up a creek. DirecTV really needs to address this.

aaronmeier2881

Called DTV tech support today, and they were of absolutely no help. Kept telling to turn off Dolby Digital, despite me continually telling them that a) it doesn't solve the problem and b) I shouldn't have to give up surround sound for a technical bug that is only affecting one channel on the HR-44. They just repeated the same thing ad nauseum until finally saying they would "have to refer me to my home theater system's manual". What a load of ****.

mjmcmahon67

Aaron-

You're absolutely correct, of course. Given that the sound cut-outs occurred when the DirecTV receiver was connected directly to my tv, rather than through my av receiver, that eliminates the possibility of the issue being with the av receiver.

trmckin

I had the same response from them.  I don't even have a surround system set

up so their "fix" is BS.  I never had these issues with cable.  Will be

headed back to comcast at the end of my contract.

On Monday, August 25, 2014, mjmcmahon67 <directv-admin@forums.directv.com>

philomorph

We've had DTV for many years and I have to say that we're pretty surprised at this problem and the lack of responsiveness so far. The issue is new for us and honestly it's the first real issue we've ever had with On Demand shows.

I'm no company shill but I'd suggest not being too eager to jump back to cable based on this one issue, unless they can't get it fixed in the next few weeks.

Has anyone tried calling their customer service line and threatening to cancel or downgrade service because of this issue? Sometimes that's a faster way to get "tech" support.

mjmcmahon67

Philomorph -

unfortunately, past experiences with Tech Support lead me to believe that they're unlikely to be able to provide a resolution for this issue.  Given that the issue is apparently channel specific, it appears as if it's rooted in the way the audio data is being sent from the streaming server, almost as if the receiver doesn't properly support the audio CODEC?

philomorph

I appreciate your reply, and I don't know if tech support will be able to help either. However, I don't believe it is actually channel specific. I know most complaints seem to be related to HBO, but maybe that's a reflection of the channel's popularity for on-demand content. I've tested multiple channels with the same results.

As for a CODEC issue, why did it just start happening? I've had a DTV DVR for a number of years and have used On-demand semi-regularly that whole time. This issue never came up until very recently. Obviously something has changed, and the fact that it's impacting old and new units alike indicates a change on the server side I think.

mjmcmahon67

I did quite a bit of testing on my receiver and found different experiences depending upon the streaming source - for me, HBO was pretty reliable.  Cinemax was not, although it seemed to be dependent upon which program I selected.  I could consistently experience the issue receiving On Demand content from Sprout.

Why did it just start?  Hard to say when we don't always have visibility to the updates being sent to the receivers.  For me, it did seem to be associated with a receiver update, but I can't say that conclusively.  You could be correct that it's a server issue that's causing the problem and that it only affects a few particular servers.  Without visibility to the server infrastructure (something that Tech Support is unlikely to have, and we certainly don't), there's just no way to tell.

rednival

I am having the exact same issue.  I just got Direct TV and I have had this issue with every OnDemand program so far.  Attempting to watch Iron Man 3 with sound issues is horrible.

I have had enough experiences with tech support (I am also an IT employee by trade) to know that this is something support is going to disregard until they get enough reports of the issue.  It is far too easy to blame it on your sound system or your TV.   Think about it: DirectTV probably gets thousands of calls a day.  Many people do not use OnDemand, so the number of calls they get about this issue is probably minor compared to the number of calls they get about failed receivers or missing channels.

I think the best thing to do is for everyone who has this issue to contact DirectTV.  It appears they are unlikely to be able to help, but if you refer them to this forum post, and if they get enough calls, the issue will eventually fall on the ears of the right person.

frank.delin@gmail.com

Same issue. HR34/700 Software 0x8d4.  It's every 5 seconds like a metronome of pain.  Only On Demand.  Next to latest episode of Leftovers.  Sometimes if I go in and out of the show enough times it stops but not this time.  I'm into a Pioneer Kuro through a Denon 3808ci AVR so I don't think any of my other components are the issue, especially given that it only happens during HBO On Demand programming.  I would certainly not consider this question/issue to be assumed answered.

zyra1977

Hello, I have the HR44-700 that was just installed a week ago. I am having the same problem with the sound dropping out about every 1 minute. And it is only happening with On Demand content.

I have found away to get it to stop (well in my case anyway). It seems that if i pause the program while watching it for 3-4 seconds (sometimes i have to do it multiple times) I can get the sound dropping to stop. I Know this is not a permanent fix but it will allow you to watch the program without being annoyed to no end. Hope to they can get this fixed soon. Hope this helps you guy. Best of luck!

j619sd

I ran into this problem trying to download Saving Mr. Banks from Starz on Demand. Same problem occurs with the Play/Watch Now option. I have a Genie with HDMI plugged into my Pioneer Elite vsx-50 Receiver. After researching this online, it seems that this issue is not just a DirecTV problem. Similar reports from Comcast and Verizon. Mostly with HBO and Starz On Demand. Thoughts?

dohickus

II'm a. 15 year customer of Direct TV and I never had experienced this issue until last week When an HR 44 was installed and I was moved onto wifi. I did a lot of research to track this down and what I've found that it's caused by poor wifi connections on streaming media, which is what on demand is. It's a big problem on Netflix especially when its paired with Verizon.

One solution I've learned about is to add a wifi repeater, or wifi extender to your network. Verizon charges 10 Dollars a month for a wifi one, there are others avail on Amazon but require a wired connection. I'm going to try that first and and going to order one today, I'll report to this thread my results in a few days. PS I don't have this problem except with on demand ATM, my thought if everything else holds true it's the antenna which if true and I can make the wifi signal stronger will solve the problem. Otherwise I'll ask Direct Tv for and let me go wired whole home.

aaronmeier2881

I have excellent wi-fi signal in my living room, and every other device that utilizes wi-fi works just fine, so I don't believe that is the issue here. Not to mention it wouldn't make sense that some On Demand channels would have this problems while others don't if wi-fi connectivity was the culprit here.

philomorph

I'm not sure what the problem you're seeing is, but I'm not using WiFi for my system at all. Both of my DVRs and my Genie min-box are all getting their internet through the coax, which is connected to my modem directly via whatever the current iteration of the SWiM technology is.

Also, we didn't have the problem until recently. We did move and upgrade to the new genie a few months ago, but we didn't have the problem for the first couple months we had the new equipment. Nothing on our end changed.

Also, our small house has an excellent WiFi signal and the Roku in the bedroom streams Netflix and Amazon flawlessly all the time over WiFi

srgb111

This is not a wifi problem.  My system is fully wired and I see the drop

out for On Demand content.  Further if you allow the OnDemand content to

buffer, you will find that the problem still exists and the timing of the

drop outs do not change.  This implies it's a problem with the content

itself and not a problem with transport.  Watch the same movie twice, if

you see the drop outs at different times then it might be a transport (i.e.

wifi) issue, if not and the timing of the drop outs is repeatable - it must

be a content problem.

As others have suggested it is possible this is a server problem and

extends beyond DirecTV.  However again, giving the buffered results this

indicates it's an artifact of the compression and not related to the

distribution of the content.  It is possible it is a codec issue (as

suggested in these other threads), but if so DirecTV needs to provide a

codec update which can correctly decompress the audio content from these

sources...

On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 12:13 PM, dohickus <directv-admin@forums.directv.com>

techgirl12

Hi,

I recently had a customer with this issue (Im a Dtv Rep) and we followed these of the outbox steps to find resolution:

1. go into settings and help>settings>audio>dolby digital>turn off

2.Go to your sound system settings and turn dolby digital off there (if you have a sound system)

3. try downloading a new vod title. Did that work?

4. If not, then turn dolby digital back on on both devices, and that should resolve it.

Not sure the logisitics as to why that worked. I assume its because turning on and off the dolby settings resynchs the both systems.

Hope that helps!

mjmcmahon67

Count me among those who disagree that this is a wireless issue - my receiver is connected via ethernet cable to my wired network and the issue is repeatable only on a few sources.  Logs on my router would indicate if it were a packet loss issue and they show no issues.

j619sd

I'm not using wifi.

aaronmeier2881

Interestingly, I just added a Roku player to my living room setup and was able to stream several On Demand shows through the HBO Go Roku app with zero issues. The Roku is connected to my sound bar the same way the HR44 is.

sublime

I am also experiencing this issue, on two TV's, only one of which is connected to a receiver (via optical). But the issue occurs whether I am playing sound through the TV or through the sound system.

I connect to the internet via WiFi, but the signal is very strong. The cut outs are less noticeable when I disable Dolby, but only marginally.

As with others, this only occurs for On Demand content. I've only tried HBO content - Band of Brothers and Game of Thrones.

I tried to email DirecTV about this issue, but they wanted me to call in and have someone try and troubleshoot the issue over the phone. I don't really feel like going down that frustrating route. I also would like DirecTV to look at the issue from their end.

frank.delin@gmail.com

Same thing with "The Knick" from Cinemax On Demand.  I know it's owned by HBO, but infuriating none the less as almost the entire program is scored so the 5 second drops are extra painful.

philomorph

I installed the HBO Go channel on my Roku 3 this weekend and have been able to stream shows with zero problems to the same TV that is having this issue via DirecTV. Also have no problems with HBO Go on my tablet. I'm going to go ahead and blame DirecTV at this time.

mgnb1990

I am also having this problem.  I have been on the phone with techs at least 5 times.  I have two separate surround systems, one connected to the Genie and the other to a client.  Both have the same problem with audio skipping every 5 seconds when watching on demand programs that contain dolby audio.  I have tried a variety of cables, reboots, etc with no change.  After reading the blogs it seems like a direct tv problem but they are sending a tech out to look at the system anyway.  I hope they figure it out soon.

jk75

I have been experiencing this issue as well, but I have found a workaround that has worked for me, at least watching HBO On Demand.  If I pause the recording, then hit the Info button, go over to the video settings and cycle through all the settings until I am back on the one I want (1080i + Original Format), then highlight Dolby Digital (the audio feed), then resume the recording, wait maybe five seconds before dismissing the banner, I can get the issue to stop happening until I rewind (or sometimes pause) the playback.

This has been working 95% of the time on my HR-44 using downloaded HBO On-Demand content.  The other 5% of the time I may have to repeat the process once, but it has always worked on the second try.

Hopefully this gets resolved soon, as it is very annoying.

lagunahills88

Having the same issue. (I think).

I'm downloading True Detective from HBO On Demand.

When I watch any episode from a Genie Client, the audio will intermittently drop out.

Oddly, It doesn't happen playing the same content on the Genie Server.

Doesn't seem to happen with any of my other recorded content. Although, I haven't really tested that theory extensively.

Does Directv monitor this board?

jk75's solution sounds creative but not a very robust fix.

This is making my Genie Client useless.

sublime

Doesn't work for me.

southgirlchic

Same exact issue. Uber annoying. No fix found yet.

sublime

Bump. Obviously lots of folks experiencing this issue - there are several other threads addressing this same thing. Hopefully DirecTV will see this and recognize that this is an issue on their end and are wasting everybody's time by insisting that we call in.

qwiklap

I am having the same issue.  I have an HR21-200 and it works fine for live and DVR'ed off the live feed content.  But on demand content (from HBO, Cinemax and Starz) all has the drop out issue if Dolby Digital is on.  My unit is hardwired to the internet through Cat5e cabling (no wireless anywhere in the signal chain).

The HR21 is connected by HDMI to my Denon AVR-4520 receiver -- functions perfectly.  I get the same issue on a HR44 in a different room also hardwired to the internet, and connected to an older Denon receiver (AVR-2807).

Is DirecTV aware of the issue and working on a fix?

alagrange

I have same issue.  Downloaded "Monsters University" from STARZ and "The Lumineers" concert from AXStv and both have problems with the sound dropping out every few seconds.

I have the Genie H44 and wireless clients.  It happens on both the server and the client.

siuengr

I'm having the same issue.  Seeing that this is happening with multiple provides, what are the odds this is some new DRM scheme that was added to all of the content?

deaconblus

I've got the same issue. Genie DVR. Optical out directly to AVR. I have an Apple TV which I use to watch HBOGo, optical out directly to AVR and do not experience any issues with Audio.

bownse

I get the same problem with VOD audio drops. In my case it's very consistent at 5 second intervals. I have an HR23/700.

Hard wired Cat5E Gigabit Ethernet, HDMI to the receiver and then to the HDTV.

This started some time back (months?) but wasn't always the case. Everything is fine when recording or watching live TV. Everything through the scheduler works fine. Only VOD (and on all channels of VOD).

Audio and video quality are fine but there a complete audio drop of about 1 second every 5 seconds.

Doesn't matter if I use the receiver's decoders or just pass through. It doesn't happen at all with regular TV. It's repeatable and limited to ALL VOD.

sublime

I just spoke to customer service and they told me that their tech/engineering team is aware of the issue and are working on a solution. No timetable though.

mgnb1990

I had two techs at the house on Friday.  They acknowledged the problem.  One of them was also having the same issue.  They were on the phone with the engineers and told me they would contact me this week with an update.Seems like they are well aware of the issue and are working on it.

daddiotom

Same issue with an HR34/700 and video on demand.  Very disturbing and no fix or replies from DirecTV yet.  Frustrating.  Will attempt to complain tomorrow as it's late and I don't want to attempt to discuss this with someone out of the country.

zenoran

Quick fix?

I found that pausing then doing a single frame skip forward then play fixes the audio temporarily. Any subsequent pause or ff resumes the issue so i am able to do the same sequence again to fix it each time. Wondering if this works for others?

Clearly a Directv software problem on our receivers.

mjmcmahon67

Never got an update and decided to call DirecTV again last night.  The word I got from the Tech Support rep was that they're aware of the issue and engineers are working on it.  They confirmed that it's an On-Demand issue, not one specifically with the receiver.  They indicated that they anticipate having a fix rolling out to customers in the next month or so, but didn't have a specific ETR.  As my wife works for DirecTV, I'm asking her to keep an eye on it.  As soon as we know that the release is starting, I'll post here so everyone's in the loop.

Mike

dohickus

I Didn't have this problem with my soundbar, while using an HR 34 (other problems , not this one <.>) and CCK, it only started when I went to wifi and the HR 44. I called When Directv because my wifi signal kept disappearing, (it said so right in the log and they wouldn't even acknowledge that error existed) and requested another CCK, the tech had taken mine, and wanted to charge me for another CCK.

At about the same time we signed up for Netflix and noticed the same problem so I replaced my router replacing the FIOS Actionet with a Nighthawk, put Netflix device on channel 1 problem solved.

Unfortunately not yet to figured out the Genie fix, this is one genie that deserves to stay in the box. We've only got four months left on both FIOS and Directv and were going to Comcast. One thing I did notice is that on a 5 GHz wifi channel says the connections at 144 Mbps and 100 % signal strength, which while it should be more then enough they might have put a better wifi client with so recent a device. On the same channel my desktops usb dongle measures 683 Mbps.

I'll cross my fingers for the software update but one thing I've learned is that nothing's ever fixed, just patched.

deaconblus

It seems like this is fixed now. At least for me. Watching SHO OD right now and not hearing any dropouts.

theshamanswife

FYI we are having this exact sound problem right now with HBO OD so it is still not fixed. 

twwabw

I have been tearing my hair out over this issue as well.  Mostly HBO, but also STARZ.  I'm a network consultant, and use a SonicWall firewall, and already knew about the Content filter service issue, but it had been working perfectly for a year.  This all just started in August.  Called Cust Svc, usual run-around, but then a second call and the tech acknowledged they are aware of it and will send new software.

Yeah right.  A month later, no software update.

BUT.... found a fix!!  A user on another forum posted this (can't take credit) and it works!  As soon as you start playback of the VOD recording, press pause, then press frame advance (FF) quickly to advance it just one frame.  Then resume play.  Voila!  No more skip in audio!  And, it will stay this way for the rest of the time you watch it, whether you pause again or not.  So, to me this rules out a server issue, since it is already stored on your DVR.  Codec??  Who knows.  But at least this work-around is quick and easy, and so far- works every time.

Don't believe the "weak wireless" or network connectivity run around.  Mine is connected via Ethernet not wireless, into a very stable GB Ethernet network.  And, other VOD work fine.

Give it a try.  Solved a lot of hair pulling for me, until they resolve this- at least I can watch the programs.

rob0506

I have been having the same issue on SyFy and NBC VOD with wired interface. I haven't tried the work-arounds yet, hopefully they keep things working.

ericholtman

Any update?

truly annoying to have awesome audio equipment at home and be forced to disable it to watch ondemand

metjorge

The "pause and forward one frame" method works for me. Some times after 4 or 5 tries though. So if I keep trying, eventually the issue goes away.

I just became aware of this issue yesterday. Directv support told me last night that the issue had to do with my internet service provider. Obviously this is not the case, so I plan on calling them again tonight and speaking to a higher level tier.

My brother says he does not have this issue, so I will try to get more information from him regarding his system.

I know he has a newer box than I do, so I wonder if his has a newer software.

I noticed that my box has a software from 08/2013. Reading a separate forum, I figured out that there is a code to force the box to perform a firmware upgrade, but after doing this, the box just downloaded and installed the same firmware.

Thus I doubt there is a software out there with a fix for this.

metjorge

I just finished chatting with technical support, and basically was told that engineers are still working on it and most likely will come up with a firmware release soon.

What frustrates me about this, is that  the only way they give you this information, is only if you show them that you are aware of what is going on.

Since I was ignorant last night when I first called them, they told me the issue was most likely due to my internet service provider.

Then thanks to this thread, I am able to verify that this is not the case. This saved me the hassle of calling and dealing with my ISP.

I expected better from Directv.

I am glad that zenoran 's fix will help me get through this two year contract. Thanks everyone.

zenoran

Glad the pause thing is helping people while we all suffer through this. I'm not sure what has me more disappointed; the fact that directv hasn't fixed this yet or the fact that they keep lying about it to their loyal customers. It's so easy to blame a 3rd party (ISP) for a problem to get you off the phone but the logic behind even suggesting that is flawed. It's a digital file and even if it's slow transferring to your box it would still get there eventually in its entirety. 

I really expect more from directv and broken/flawed on demand content just isn't acceptable for THIS LONG considering the money we shell out monthly for service.

johnnyrotten

I FIGURED OUT A SIMPLE SOLUTION!

Hello all. I am having the same issues with HBO on demand. All I do to fix the problem is just pause the program for about 20-30 seconds then press play. That's it! No more sound issues.

Someone posted earlier saying they pause it then fast forward a single frame but I found that I don't have to fast forward. Just pause the program for a bit then press play. But if you pause, rewind, or fast forward the program after the problem is fixed then the sound issue comes back. So you'll just have to "reset" it by pausing it again.