8 Replies Latest reply: Sep 4, 2014 7:12 AM by mkilmartin RSS

I get a 771 every day between 2:15pm - 2:30pm

mkilmartin

It lasts for a few minutes to a few hours, but always in the 2:15-2:30 time frame.  3 Local channels go out as well as the History channel and a few other minor channels.  The weather does not matter.

I have been with Direct TV since 1996, and in this location since 1998 without every seeing this problem.  I had a new dish, LNB, and SWM connector put in Oct 2013, so the stuff is new.

Some transponders read 98-100 on both tuners, some read in the 70's and the rest are zeros.  I called for help, but all that can be done is to send a tech out, but if he is not here at 2:15, he might miss the problem.

What else can I check myself?

• Re: I get a 771 every day between 2:15pm - 2:30pm
    shannon01

Most likely a temperature sensitive LNB that is in the shade until then, if you can take video of the TV screen for a couple of days before and after that time to show the tech.  

litzdog911

It's possible that you just have a loose or defective coax cable connector at your dish or ground block.  Check those before replacing the LNB.

mkilmartin

Thank you for the quick reply and a good suggestion.  Please clarify one point.  Are you saying the LNB may be defective if it is temperature sensitive or are all the new LNB's temperature sensitive?

I did not have this problem with the first non-HD dish and I did not have the problem with the multi-LNB dish prior to the new one that was put in Oct 2013.

litzdog911

It's a rare problem, but one symptom of a defective LNB is temperature sensitivity.   How did you check those coax cable connectors?  Be sure there's NO corrosion inside any of them.  A service tech would likely replace them as a matter of course.

mkilmartin

I have not disconnected each connector and checked for corrosion.  All outside parts and most inside parts are new as of Oct 2013.  I will let the technician check all of that.  I think for now I am more focused on logging the exact time of the problem.  From DVR recordings it looks like it happens at 2:19pm each day.

With an exact time like that, it sounds more like signal than cabling.  Could the receiver have a problem at the same time every day?  Tonight I will go through everything I can learn about the receiver and its settings.

Thank you for contributing to the discussion.

mkilmartin

I appear to be wrong litzdog911 may be right.  The problem went away for a few days when the high temps during the day just got into the low 80's.  Today it is high 80's and the problem is back.  I am going to get a service repairman out now that I know the problem is likely temperature related.  The signal comes back at in the late afternoon when the sun dips below the house next door and the dish is shaded.

mkilmartin

For others that have this same problem...I have confirmed it is temperature related.  I sprayed the LNB and dish with cool water and the signal came back before I got back inside to check.  Eventually I just put an ice pack on the LNB and the signal stayed strong.

We can close this question now.